B.E. Super Gold Soccer - TEAMS POSTED!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to make sure that my comments were understood to be a generalization and not any criticisim of Chloe, a great player. From all I know she is a dedicated, talented kid who works hard and has improved. I did not see but 3 PNG games and don't have any idea idea how many times she scored more than 3 goals. Don't care, becasue it probably wasn't that many and she would have had a tremendous Super Gold year regardless. Shark futbol is correct, celebrate these kids accomplishments. I will stand by my statement, however, that if you have a hat trick and your team is already up on an obviously weaker opponent, it is usually time to pass the ball even if you have an opportunity. I hope she gets 60 next year. SETX needs quality players and she is one of the best.

in reponse to rip, i know washburn had been talked to by the spindletop trainers a year or two ago about getting on hughes team after they watched her in a scrimmage but she was a few months too old. Other than hughes team there isnt an actual club team in this af the teams are only d iv 2 that i know of. She went to houston to play on some teams for a little while but there just isnt enough well put together teams in this area

[quote name="soccerr3" post="786600" timestamp="1270570340"]
in reponse to rip, i know washburn had been talked to by the spindletop trainers a year or two ago about getting on hughes team after they watched her in a scrimmage but she was a few months too old. Other than hughes team there isnt an actual club team in this af the teams are only d iv 2 that i know of. She went to houston to play on some teams for a little while but there just isnt enough well put together teams in this area
[/quote]
That has been a sad reality here, that only Mike has had the ability to build and sustain a reasonably competitive team at a Div 1 level. Hopefully for the kids that are in grade school now ....something will change. I know a few folks like Kelly Krotter, and Jim Ducan are trying real hard. Steve Hernandez also has a High School aged team, made up of mostly Westbrook and Kelly players that may have a year or two left in them...

The reason there are not more S2 and D1 teams in this area is due to the travel time and expense involved. There are not enough parents and players willing to make that huge commitment. Especially if a player also plays other sports. And with $3 per gallon gas...
I have coached girls teams here for years and some years ago the Houston teams would split with us. They would come here for half of the S2 and D1 games. That was in SSSC's heyday of 16 or 17 teams. When the Houston teams started making the Beaumont teams travel over there for every game, well that was when it got tough on the local parents footing the bill.
For several years I tried to get a commitment from my team to make the drive. Now, I just try to provide them with the best coaching and training that I possibly can with local trainers and educating myself as best I can. I also enter my teams into Houston area tourneys as often as possible. Several of my D2 players have been good enough to play college. Some did, but most preferred to just be a student, instead of a student athlete.
While there are some players that are looking to prepare for a college soccer career, the majority are simply wanting to be successful high school players.  And there is nothing wrong with that. It can be accomplished playing D2 and working hard.
As a soccer guy, I too would love it if we could put more D1 teams together from this area. But reality is what it is.

[quote name="fiveoclocksomewhere" post="786671" timestamp="1270581389"]
The reason there are not more S2 and D1 teams in this area is due to the travel time and expense involved. There are not enough parents and players willing to make that huge commitment. Especially if a player also plays other sports. And with $3 per gallon gas...
I have coached girls teams here for years and some years ago the Houston teams would split with us. They would come here for half of the S2 and D1 games. That was in SSSC's heyday of 16 or 17 teams. When the Houston teams started making the Beaumont teams travel over there for every game, well that was when it got tough on the local parents footing the bill.
For several years I tried to get a commitment from my team to make the drive. Now, I just try to provide them with the best coaching and training that I possibly can with local trainers and educating myself as best I can. I also enter my teams into Houston area tourneys as often as possible. Several of my D2 players have been good enough to play college. Some did, but most preferred to just be a student, instead of a student athlete.
While there are some players that are looking to prepare for a college soccer career, the majority are simply wanting to be successful high school players.  And there is nothing wrong with that. It can be accomplished playing D2 and working hard.
As a soccer guy, I too would love it if we could put more D1 teams together from this area. But reality is what it is.
[/quote]
And you did a great job with our girls....         

Because the Beaumont Enterprise does not consistently report area soccer results, I would like to know where the stats were obtained to select the members of the super gold team.  Unless someone met with every coach in the area, I do not see how this was done.  Also, soccer coaches are not required to report individual statistics.  While you can state a player's personal stats and acknowledge that he or she has done or not done an outstanding job, you are limited as to who you can compare them with; maybe TASCO has a data base?  I would like to see stats for minutes played, number of shots taken, shots, assist, steals, ect. 

[quote name="centerref" post="786703" timestamp="1270585069"]
Because the Beaumont Enterprise does not consistently report area soccer results, I would like to know where the stats were obtained to select the members of the super gold team.  Unless someone met with every coach in the area, I do not see how this was done.  Also, soccer coaches are not required to report individual statistics.  While you can state a player's personal stats and acknowledge that he or she has done or not done an outstanding job, you are limited as to who you can compare them with; maybe TASCO has a data base?   I would like to see stats for minutes played, number of shots taken, shots, assist, steals, ect. 
[/quote]

I believe most coaches keep track of at least goals and assists for field players.. saves and Goals Allowed for keepers. I believe in district 37 at least that they report these stats to Coach L at Lumberton and this is used for all district selection. Perhaps the Enterprise contacted the coach of each district that keeps the stats. Not sure if this is the case, but seems like the best way they could have come by these selections.

So with the stats center ref wants.  Would it really help select a team.  Lots of the stats are kept by a student from the school and rarely taken by a real stat person.  What is a shot on goal to one coach may not be to another, or may not be what is really considered a shot on goal.  An assist to alot of coaches is whoever passed the ball to the player that scored even if they dribble for two minutes and then score.  That is not an assist.  Stats can be turned in and you can say whatever you want them to be. Its a team that was picked by a soccer person from the B.E.  No matter who made the team and who makes all district teams, and who gets what awards.  It is always debated and griped about.........  Never ending .. 

[quote name="watash" post="786509" timestamp="1270531107"]
I want to make sure that my comments were understood to be a generalization and not any criticisim of Chloe, a great player. From all I know she is a dedicated, talented kid who works hard and has improved. I did not see but 3 PNG games and don't have any idea idea how many times she scored more than 3 goals. Don't care, becasue it probably wasn't that many and she would have had a tremendous Super Gold year regardless. Shark futbol is correct, celebrate these kids accomplishments. I will stand by my statement, however, that if you have a hat trick and your team is already up on an obviously weaker opponent, it is usually time to pass the ball even if you have an opportunity. I hope she gets 60 next year. SETX needs quality players and she is one of the best.
[/quote]
Wow!  I would have never believed that there would be this much said about a girl who has accomplished so much!  We have a "Soccer Player" in SETX..who led the STATE in scoring; and all we can do is talk about the "perceived" negatives...Come On!  Lets stand behind her accomplishment and congratulate a fine young woman.  As far as "standing by your statement"; you apparently have NO idea how Coach Bates Coaches!!  As far as your statement about her work ethic...it is true; she is a hard worker!  As far as she has "improved" ...I would like to know how you judge improved ? And who you are judging her improvement against?  Give Credit to a young woman for a great year...Dont Question how games turned out if you did not see them.. and last but not least RESPECT the coaches coaching the game!

[quote name="sharkstooth" post="786992" timestamp="1270606993"]
[quote author=watash link=topic=68136.msg786509#msg786509 date=1270531107]
[/quote]
Wow!  I would have never believed that there would be this much said about a girl who has accomplished so much!  We have a "Soccer Player" in SETX..who led the STATE in scoring; and all we can do is talk about the "perceived" negatives...Come On!  Lets stand behind her accomplishment and congratulate a fine young woman.  As far as "standing by your statement"; you apparently have NO idea how Coach Bates Coaches!!  As far as your statement about her work ethic...it is true; she is a hard worker!  As far as she has "improved" ...I would like to know how you judge improved ? And who you are judging her improvement against?  Give Credit to a young woman for a great year...Dont Question how games turned out if you did not see them.. and last but not least RESPECT the coaches coaching the game!
[/quote]

was he or she not just giving credit and saying what a great player she was????

I don't understand people complaining about scores in soccer games.  If Central and Ozen girls, don't want to get beat 15-0, get better.  Ozen still presses in boys basketball with a 30 point lead.  If I was the Soccer coach, the score would be 35-0 against them, and if the soccer coach said anything, I would tell him to talk to the basketball coach about 'sportmanship'.

As for my earlier post that was taken off, I persume for using someones name, I will again tell Fiveo'clocksomewhere he did a great job coaching the girls in club ball and had as much if not not more to do with Lumberton girls success as anyone. 

[quote name="hj_hawk_60" post="786043" timestamp="1270410041"]
Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold Soccer 2010

- - Boys - -

- - Coach of the Year - - Coach Harrington - Hamshire-Fannett

- - Player of the Year - -Scott Poole - Lumberton - Sr.

- - Goalkeeper - - William Lighty - Kelly - So.

- - Defense - -
Travis Briggs - HF - Sr.
Jacob Grant - Vidor - Sr.
Sammy Lavador - Central - Jr.
Peter Zimmerman - PNG - Sr.

- - Midfield - -
Greg Flores - PNG - Sr.
Scott Poole - Lumberton - Sr.
Terrell Roane - Kelly - Sr.
Elver Uriostegui - PNG - Sr.

- - Forwards - -
Jose Alvarado - HF - Fr.
Hector Garcia - Nederland - Sr.

- - Utilitiy - -
Jordan Wagner - Nederland - Jr.

Second Team -
Hunter Allan (Kelly), Zack Clark (Kelly), Angel Valencia (PNG), Kenric Martinez (PNG), Garhett Bonneaux (LCM), Cristian Diaz (LCM), Austin Wyble (Nederland), Miles Lawler (Nederland), [b]Colton [/b] [b]Romero [/b] [b](HF)[/b], Kurtis Bell (HF), Luis Ceron (Central), Caleb Schexnider (Lumberton), Victor Ortega (Vidor), Jacob Glover (Vidor), Chris Brown (HJ), Caleb Bernsen (HJ), Anthony Martinez (Jasper), Ossama Zafar (Jasper), Austin Barnes (Silsbee), Daniel Callesto (Silsbee), Alex Danion (Bridge City), Josh Ozio (Bridge City), Cody Richings (West Brook), Dane Schmidt (West Brook)

[/quote]

[quote name="Rebel2" post="787204" timestamp="1270643873"]
I don't understand people complaining about scores in soccer games.  If Central and Ozen girls, don't want to get beat 15-0, get better.  Ozen still presses in boys basketball with a 30 point lead.  If I was the Soccer coach, the score would be 35-0 against them, and if the soccer coach said anything, I would tell him to talk to the basketball coach about 'sportmanship'.

As for my earlier post that was taken off, I persume for using someones name, I will again tell Fiveo'clocksomewhere he did a great job coaching the girls in club ball and had as much if not not more to do with Lumberton girls success as anyone. 
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, Rebel. I have been lucky to have coached some really terrific young ladies. I can't say enough good about those players. And I was also fortunate to have team parents that were supportive. Now, if I could just figure out how to get my new group of parents onboard like the Fillies families were!

As for blowouts- My  Freshman daughter plays basketball and soccer, so she gets it during basketball, then is able to dish it out some during soccer!  LOL  Really, I think the high school soccer coaches around here generally hold back on running up the score. I KNOW that Coach H at Lumberton held his team back in alot of games this year.

[quote name="CoachL" post="787604" timestamp="1270737919"]
Funny thing about this list is that Scott Poole didnt even play Midfield. He was a forward all season long.  ???
[/quote]

That just goes to show you how this Beaumont Enterprise political voting system works. I believe it's currupt.

[quote name="Jake Sully" post="787990" timestamp="1270818096"]
[quote author=CoachL link=topic=68136.msg787604#msg787604 date=1270737919]
Funny thing about this list is that Scott Poole didnt even play Midfield. He was a forward all season long.  ???
[/quote]

That just goes to show you how this Beaumont Enterprise political voting system works. I believe it's currupt.
[/quote]

i don't know that i would call it corrupt as much as i'd say misinformed.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="787997" timestamp="1270818649"]
[quote author=Jake Sully link=topic=68136.msg787990#msg787990 date=1270818096]
[/quote]

[/quote]

i don't know that i would call it corrupt as much as i'd say misinformed.
[/quote]

That's the word I was looking for.

[quote name="Jake Sully" post="787990" timestamp="1270818096"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

i hope you are joking.....There isn't a political voting system. There are people (mostly RC) who makes a good effort to get to games, find out info from coaches and uses that information to pick these kids.
Be glad they even cover soccer as it still isn't the big sports at this time of year.

Be careful Sully and Bullets. These are tough times in the newspaper industry and I'm sure RC did the best he could. He does not have the Club background and years of watching these girls play. I see some arguable mistakes on almost every All-Star and All-America team. Be glad for the publicity. I mean they did pick Poole as player of the year.
If you don't like their team, post your own.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder