BEST SETX Running Back You Ever Saw

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="780544" timestamp="1269320660"]
1. Jamaal Charles - PA Memorial - sliced and diced tough 5a competition like a hot knife through butter

2. Leeland McElroy - Central - as talented as they come!

3. Christine Michael - West Brook - an insane mixure of speed, power, and vision that was unlike any other ever seen in this area.
[/quote]

I'll add

4. Dexter Hebert-- Kelly--played same years that Leeland Mcelroy.  He could have played at Central and if so, Central would have had the best backfield in Texas.    Dexter had speed and very strong thighs could cut or run over defenses. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PINETREE" post="781329" timestamp="1269448362"]
[i][color=maroon][i][color=maroon][/color][/i][b]Shanderrick Charles was the best running back i ever saw......If you think Jamal is great,his brother was [u][u]awesome!!!!!![/u]
[/quote]

When did he Play? n Were

[quote name="PINETREE" post="781329" timestamp="1269448362"]
[i][color=maroon][i][color=maroon][/color][/i][b]Shanderrick Charles was the best running back i ever saw......If you think Jamal is great,his brother was [u][u]awesome!!!!!![/u]
[/quote]

Shanderrick was good but was not as tough as Jamaal...He pulled up lame alot. I seen them both and he could not hold his younger brothers jock strap.

There have been some great SETX running backs and all those listed in the previous posts have great qualities, but the measuring stick for SETX backs was set a long time ago by Little Joe Washington @ Lincoln and Jeff Bergeron @ PNG.  If you're too young to remember those guys then you really haven't ever seen the greatest backs in SETX history.

JC and Shancerrick were different types of backs in HS. Shanderrick was small (5'8" 180), but was a jitterbug. Very hard to tackle in the openfield. JC was bigger and stronger and obviously the better back, but remember I never saw JC in person so I went with SC. Shanderrick had a neck issue cut his career short at SMU. See below.
from DMN article in 2005
In 2001, ShanDerrick Charles exploded on the scene as a running back for the Mustangs midway through his freshman season, carrying 134 times for 860 yards. His 6.4 yards-percarry average was fifth nationally. In ShanDerrick's first significant action that season, he ran for 243 yards on 26 carries at San Jose State. He followed two weeks later with 212 yards on 27 carries and four touchdowns against UTEP.
"My brother was so good, it was ridiculous," Jamaal said. "He was quicker and had more jukes than I have. He's short, but he's strong. Nobody thought he could get through the creases he got through. He could have been in the NFL by now."
ShanDerrick was on pace to break former Oklahoma great Joe Washington's longtime career city rushing record in Port Arthur until ShanDerrick broke his hand in the third game of his senior year. He fell 39 yards short of Washington's record. Jamaal would break that record four years later by rushing for 4,107 yards and 50 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Port Arthur Memorial.

[quote name="Slam14" post="781504" timestamp="1269464968"]

There have been some great SETX running backs and all those listed in the previous posts have great qualities, but the measuring stick for SETX backs was set a long time ago by Little Joe Washington @ Lincoln and Jeff Bergeron @ PNG.  If you're too young to remember those guys then you really haven't ever seen the greatest backs in SETX history.
[/quote]I hate to show my age but this guy is right on the money.Little Joe Washington was just straight up unbelievable and Jeff the Jet would have you shaking your head.The rest of these guys were talented but Joe Washington set the bar.

Joe Washington, Jr.  Whoever is in second place ain't even close.  If you don't believe me look at his video clips when he was at OU on youtube.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lbuUTz2IUY

I heard a lot about Jeff Bergeron, but I never saw him play.

[quote name="Kountzer" post="781552" timestamp="1269474345"]
Joe Washington, Jr.  Whoever is in second place ain't even close.  If you don't believe me look at his video clips when he was at OU on youtube.

Here you go:

[/quote]

I spoke with Joe's father this week, Coach Washington, and we talked some football. I told Coach about our board and that I had posted this video that kountzer just posted a couple years back and asked him if he remembered the play. He immediately said "USC".

I brought Kenny up, for you younger fellas, that was his other son who was a pretty dang good QB.  He thought Kenny was just as good overall athlete but Little Joe had the spotlight at the running back position.  He loves talking about the big crowds they played in front at TJ and cherished the great games with PNG.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="781577" timestamp="1269480505"]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=67630.msg781552#msg781552 date=1269474345]

Here you go:

[/quote]

I spoke with Joe's father this week, Coach Washington, and we talked some football. I told Coach about our board and that I had posted this video that kountzer just posted a couple years back and asked him if he remembered the play. He immediately said "USC".

I brought Kenny up, for you younger fellas, that was his other son who was a pretty dang good QB.  He thought Kenny was just as good overall athlete but Little Joe had the spotlight at the running back position.  He loves talking about the big crowds they played in front at TJ and cherished the great games with PNG.
[/quote]

1972 Lincoln vs PNG.  Little Joe vs Jeff the Jet in Port Authur.
I was just a little kid at the time, but this is STILL one of the most memorable high school games I've ever witnessed.

it would be a toss-up between Todrick Pendelton and Anthony Byerly of Newton. K-ville had Larry Grissom, Bubba Bean and Butch Hadnot
They were the best i have seen in our area. The best in Texas  was Earl Campbel from U T. Man, that brought back a few old memories.
JMO

Little Joe was the best I ever saw in person.  Didn't Charlton Pollard have a great RB that went to the Detroit Lions.  I know that was long ago.  I saw Steve Wooster in person when I was 6 and a ball boy on the sidelines for West Orange.  He seemed like a giant.  He was just straight up power.  I believe that year BC  beat West Orange 66-0 so don't believe they didn't run the score up on anyone.

[quote name="BHEagle1" post="783009" timestamp="1269706841"]
Anthony Byerly of Newton and "Ironman" Mike Armstrong of Barbers Hill
[/quote]

That kid from Newton was good.  Dayton had a kid named "Peoples" (I think) that was fast.  Would have been the 80's If I recall correctly.  He was a TD waiting to happen every time he touched be ball. 

1. Jamaal Charles - PA Memorial - His Junior and Senior playoff runs were off the charts

2. Leeland McElroy - Central - individually was one of the most impressive high school backs.  Only probllem was he had good size yet would shy away from contact.

3. Christine Michael - West Brook - The most pro-style running back the area has scene since Joe Washington.  Physical speciman with a mean streak!

4. Shanderrick Charles was phenomenal and most forget about him because his college career was cut short.  He could have had a highly decorated college career with a big pro buzz if he was more durable.  By far the prettiest runner out of them all, nobody had dance like this kid... NOBODY had a better stiff arm...

bh89-2  I remember him I think his name was Keneth Peoples  anyone know what happened to him  Dayton has had a pile of players, they never seam to pan out once they leave dayton though, not sure why. i work with several people from Dayton and they are all quality?

[quote name="BHEagle1" post="785979" timestamp="1270360282"]
bh89-2  I remember him I think his name was Keneth Peoples  anyone know what happened to him  Dayton has had a pile of players, they never seam to pan out once they leave dayton though, not sure why. i work with several people from Dayton and they are all quality?
[/quote]

That kid was FAST!  I swear he could stand up and tell the defense, "I am going to run around the right" and you might as well just add 6.  You were not going to catch that kid, no matter what.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder