16 yr old Bryce Harper gets his 1st hit in college.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Big Stick" post="755185" timestamp="1265314922"]
I wonder if his college batting average will live up to all the hype!
[/quote]

I wonder if Ted Williams could have lived up to the "hype" this day and age. The kid can play ball, not sure if he will ever be able to meet the expectations that the media (and in some ways himself) have placed on his shoulders.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="755191" timestamp="1265315466"]
[quote author=Big Stick link=topic=65407.msg755185#msg755185 date=1265314922]
[/quote]

I wonder if Ted Williams could have lived up to the "hype" this day and age. The kid can play ball, not sure if he will ever be able to meet the expectations the media (and in some ways himself) have placed on his shoulders.
[/quote]

I agree.  Anything less than being a top player in the Majors would be considered a failure at this point.  That is a lot to live up to for a young kid.  There are a lot more "sure things" that bust than succeed, especially in baseball.  Lebron is the only one that comes to mind that has been successful with this much hype at such a young age.

Good Luck to the kid.  I just hope he doesn't start a trend of kids quitting HS early to play college.  Enjoy HS while you can, you can never get those years back.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="755257" timestamp="1265321253"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=65407.msg755191#msg755191 date=1265315466]
[quote author=Big Stick link=topic=65407.msg755185#msg755185 date=1265314922]
[/quote]

I wonder if Ted Williams could have lived up to the "hype" this day and age. The kid can play ball, not sure if he will ever be able to meet the expectations the media (and in some ways himself) have placed on his shoulders.
[/quote]

I agree.  Anything less than being a top player in the Majors would be considered a failure at this point.  That is a lot to live up to for a young kid.  There are a lot more "sure things" that bust than succeed, especially in baseball.  Lebron is the only one that comes to mind that has been successful with this much hype at such a young age.

Good Luck to the kid.  I just hope he doesn't start a trend of kids quitting HS early to play college.  Enjoy HS while you can, you can never get those years back.
[/quote]

If he hits .400 in that conference it's a great success. One of the best juco conferences in the nation along with Region 5 and 14, both of Texas.  :)

Have not heard a single thing about the great Bryce after his first hit, would love to know his average!There is no doubt the kid is good, but I am not sure he is as good as everyone is playing this up to be. If you look up all of the prospects he is not on top in hitting, running or throwing. If I am not mistaken he did not win the homerun derby and he did not hit a homerun in the wooden bat round. I am not ragging on him I am just wondering why the kids that won these catagories are not mentioned anywhere.I hope he does make it all the way I am just wondering why everyone is pumping this up and not the others.He obviously has someone with connections throwing his name out there.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Big Stick" post="757917" timestamp="1265809462"]
Have not heard a single thing about the great Bryce after his first hit, would love to know his average!There is no doubt the kid is good, but I am not sure he is as good as everyone is playing this up to be. If you look up all of the prospects he is not on top in hitting, running or throwing. If I am not mistaken he did not win the homerun derby and he did not hit a homerun in the wooden bat round. I am not ragging on him I am just wondering why the kids that won these catagories are not mentioned anywhere.I hope he does make it all the way I am just wondering why everyone is pumping this up and not the others.He obviously has someone with connections throwing his name out there.
[/quote]

Here is a link to a very good article on Bryce Harper's first games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/02/02/bryce.harper/index.html

• 3 months later...
Swinging a wooden bat, Through 55 games in his 2010 Junior College season, Harper is batting .417/.509/.917 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with 71 runs scored, 23 home runs, 68 RBIs, 16 SBs, and a 1.426 OPS. He has led his Southern Nevada Coyotes to the Scenic West Title.  and he's still just 17.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bullets13000" post="801482" timestamp="1273859742"]
Swinging a wooden bat, Through 55 games in his 2010 Junior College season, Harper is batting .417/.509/.917 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with 71 runs scored, 23 home runs, 68 RBIs, 16 SBs, and a 1.426 OPS. He has led his Southern Nevada Coyotes to the Scenic West Title.  and he's still just 17.
[/quote]

And about to be the #1 pick in the MLB Draft.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="801482" timestamp="1273859742"]
[/quote]
WOW........    :o

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder