crosby drops game with vidor

texans

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely and utterly freaking ridiculous... There are racist people in EVERY SINGLE TOWN... Just because something happened in Vidor MANY, MANY years ago, doesn't mean that stuff happens today... I swear, stuff like this drives me up the wall... How low can people be, seriously? Especially professionals. So stupid.

Just to share a little insider story: I played soccer for Vidor between 2003-2007, and we traveled to Corsicana to play in their annual tournament. We played a team from Amarillo, and ended up tying them 1-1 (I believe that was the score). After the game, the other coach was obviously mad. When our coach went to shake hands with him, the coach refused and walked away saying "Why don't yall just go back to the KKK!"

Just something I've experienced, not really relative to the story but something that happened that can kind of give an insider to what people in Vidor have to deal with. Moderators, if you feel that my story did more harm than good, feel free to delete it, I just thought I would share it...

[quote name="aries456" post="755130" timestamp="1265308413"]
This is absolutely and utterly freaking ridiculous... There are racist people in EVERY SINGLE TOWN... Just because something happened in Vidor MANY, MANY years ago, doesn't mean that stuff happens today... I swear, stuff like this drives me up the wall... How low can people be, seriously? Especially professionals. So stupid.

Just to share a little insider story: I played soccer for Vidor between 2003-2007, and we traveled to Corsicana to play in their annual tournament. We played a team from Amarillo, and ended up tying them 1-1 (I believe that was the score). After the game, the other coach was obviously mad. When our coach went to shake hands with him, the coach refused and walked away saying "Why don't yall just go back to the KKK!"

Just something I've experienced, not really relative to the story but something that happened that can kind of give an insider to what people in Vidor have to deal with. Moderators, if you feel that my story did more harm than good, feel free to delete it, I just thought I would share it...
[/quote]i agree with you aries456. they need to crawl out of the closet and get real. i'm from Vidor myself and think this racist thing is just a bunch of B.S. Vidor's getting ridiculed for what happened over 4 decades ago. They just need to get a life and move on. >:(

Ok, First this is an issue with certian school board members. NOT our superintendent. Mr. Joesph is the farthest thing from a bigot i've ever seen, an extremely gracious man and a great leader of our school.

Second, was not thier when this decision was made, i've had my own dislikes of certian school board members, and yes perhapsthey are still living in the 60's, but what can our Superintendent or Coaches do about this? Nothing.

If you wanted to turn this into a shaming Crosby thing i find that hard to believe, i went to Crosby and know thier are "some" bigots, but the majority of us are good people who are completely ok with going to vidor or whatever.

Honestly going to Dayton this year scares me a little more than going to Vidor (because thier will be riots when we beat you guys again)

Plz cease from blaming the entire area for the fact that we have a few people behind times in power positions (i believe all of our school boards have this problem)

Also thiers talk of talking about Barrett, I'd like to point out that the Staduim is in the heart of Crosby and about 4 miles from Barret (perhaps less dunno)

I don't know why they have safety concerns was thier an event that would warrant this?

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="755195" timestamp="1265315671"]
Ok, First this is an issue with certian school board members. NOT our superintendent. Mr. Joesph is the farthest thing from a bigot i've ever seen, an extremely gracious man and a great leader of our school.

Second, was not thier when this decision was made, i've had my own dislikes of certian school board members, and yes perhapsthey are still living in the 60's, but what can our Superintendent or Coaches do about this? Nothing.

If you wanted to turn this into a shaming Crosby thing i find that hard to believe, i went to Crosby and know thier are "some" bigots, but the majority of us are good people who are completely ok with going to vidor or whatever.

Honestly going to Dayton this year scares me a little more than going to Vidor (because thier will be riots when we beat you guys again)

Plz cease from blaming the entire area for the fact that we have a few people behind times in power positions (i believe all of our school boards have this problem)

Also thiers talk of talking about Barrett, I'd like to point out that the Staduim is in the heart of Crosby and about 4 miles from Barret (perhaps less dunno)

I don't know why they have safety concerns was their an event that would warrant this?
[/quote]1. If two members intimidated at least two more then there are four that need to go or if two told the sup what to do then the sup is weak and needs to go............and if all that happens then your AD needs to grow some ca-hones and hold his ground....or he needs to go
Any way you slice it you have some weak and stupid people in charge

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="755221" timestamp="1265316915"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=65269.msg755195#msg755195 date=1265315671]

I don't know why they have safety concerns was their an event that would warrant this?
[/quote]1. If two members intimidated at least two more then there are four that need to go or if two told the sup what to do then the sup is weak and needs to go............and if all that happens then your AD needs to grow some ca-hones and hold his ground....or he needs to go
Any way you slice it you have some weak and stupid people in charge

[/quote]

You do realize that if the school board amkes a decision the sueper intendent has to enforce it correct? if not i'm sorry that you don't understand these decisions are ultimately the school boards and not the siperintendents.

I understand more than you know----read it again---if TWO swayed him then that is not a majority, if it was at least 4 then those four need to go, and IF it was a majority the your AD needs to stand up to them

Do you really think they would run him off after he FINALLY won a district title and beat Dayton?????---hence he should grow some.................

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="755229" timestamp="1265317488"]
I understand more than you know----read it again---if TWO swayed him then that is not a majority, if it was at least 4 then those four need to go, and IF it was a majority the your AD needs to stand up to them

Do you really think they would run him off after he FINALLY won a district title and beat Dayton?????---hence he should grow some.................
[/quote]

You know its people like you who cause these flame threads and attempt to undermine a good man.

I won't defend the school board members, but Mr. Joesph doesn't need to stand up for anyone the need to be men and women and make thier own decisions.

Anyone know the vote on this i.e. who said aye and nay, until you do your worthless speculation is pathetic.

I think the last sentence was directed at Flanagan? if so hes not running infact unofficially he simply added a better team than vidor to play, Dawson, and Motgomery are better teams. And obviously this wasn't flannigans decision, if it was he would of just dropped them himself. HAHHA whats funny is your trying to construe this as running when we actually scheduled better teams.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="755232" timestamp="1265317805"]
[quote author=Diamond-J link=topic=65269.msg755229#msg755229 date=1265317488]

[/quote]

You know its people like you who cause these flame threads and attempt to undermine a good man.

I won't defend the school board members, but Mr. Joesph doesn't need to stand up for anyone the need to be men and women and make thier own decisions.

Anyone know the vote on this i.e. who said aye and nay, until you do your worthless speculation is pathetic.

I think the last sentence was directed at Flanagan? if so hes not running infact unofficially he simply added a better team than vidor to play, Dawson, and Motgomery are better teams. And obviously this wasn't flannigans decision, if it was he would of just dropped them himself. HAHHA whats funny is your trying to construe this as running when we actually scheduled better teams.
[/quote]They did not run from a better team----they ran from their own prejudices----ALL of them have some explaining to do, including Flan the Man and yes I know how the power structure works both officially and otherwise----Your AD could have influenced this if he had tried and that is a fact

I have lived in Vidor all of my life.  My boys have also grew up here and went to school here.  IMO it doesn't matter what other people think about our town.  The people that live here and have children that go to our schools and participate in sports know the truth.  I do not know that Vidor will ever outlive the stigma that has been attached to our town.  I would like to think in time that will change.  Will it?  I doubt it.  However to the kids and coaches - keep doing what you are doing and maybe someday it will.

[quote name="soccermom" post="755348" timestamp="1265336862"]
I have lived in Vidor all of my life.  My boys have also grew up here and went to school here.  IMO it doesn't matter what other people think about our town.  The people that live here and have children that go to our schools and participate in sports know the truth.  I do not know that Vidor will ever outlive the stigma that has been attached to our town.  I would like to think in time that will change.  Will it?  I doubt it.  However to the kids and coaches - keep doing what you are doing and maybe someday it will.
[/quote]good post

Very good post, soccermom.

I lived in the Triangle for 50 years and have observed Vidor community activities as well as their sporting events.  No one is saying that Vidor hasn't had their problems in the past.  We are saying that the community is a very nice area that has taken giant steps toward improving their self image while being a good neighbor to all that choose to visit their town.

It hurts very deeply when someone treats the fine people of Vidor in this manner.  This is not the way to improve race relations with fellow Texans.

They are really nice people.  Those that worried about the safety of their people while travelling to Vidor could have eliminated their fears by simply seeing for themselves.

Coach Mathews and town has done an exemplary job in making other teams feel safe while in Vidor.  If you still are worried, ask any of the schools that go to games there. Ask Central or any other teams that play Vidor.

Again; they are far from perfect but [u]neither are any of the communities in the country[/u].

To whoever is responsible for this mess. Shame on you. In the future, think before hastily making a decision that might hurt another community.

I grew up in Beaumont around my older relatives that made sure they informed us kids about Vidor and what happened in the past.  All of the bad, the hate.  Growing up as a man, I had the opportinity to meet all kinds of people including Vidorians.  Most of them are my age.  Figured they were good people although some of them were not as in all towns and communities.  Going to All Central Football games and going to Vidor, I have met Vidor football fans, 2 of them I have personally met and sat with durring games.  Point is that all the stuff that my older relatives were saying about Vidor and their people appears to not be going on. 

Like everyone is agreeing with on this thread there is more good than bad in Vidor. Should have given them a chance, Crosby.  Those 2 board members need to open their hearts and let go of that hate.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="755571" timestamp="1265388215"]
I grew up in Beaumont around my older relatives that made sure they informed us kids about Vidor and what happened in the past.  All of the bad, the hate.  Growing up as a man, I had the opportinity to meet all kinds of people including Vidorians.  Most of them are my age.  Figured they were good people although some of them were not as in all towns and communities.  Going to All Central Football games and going to Vidor, I have met Vidor football fans, 2 of them I have personally met and sat with durring games.  Point is that all the stuff that my older relatives were saying about Vidor and their people appears to not be going on. 

Like everyone is agreeing with on this thread there is more good than bad in Vidor. Should have given them a chance, Crosby.  Those 2 board members need to open their hearts and let go of that hate.
[/quote]

good post Soulja.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="755571" timestamp="1265388215"]

[/quote] :)

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="755438" timestamp="1265374468"]
cougtalk. really? crosby is just being crosby on this one. classy move cougars.
[/quote]

As Dayton is Dayton and Vidor is Vidor? this exact post is what your criticizing crosby for. Your saying that Crosby is always this way and has always been this way, just like our administrators apparently think Vidor has always been they way they were and will always be in thier eyes.

Congrats your exact insinuation is what your criticizing, its a freaking hypocracy. (this is not an attack on anyone else haven't had a problem with other psot so far.)

Cougtalk; Not sure you understand why people of Southeast Texas are upset.

I didn't really know much about Crosby (I don't currently live in Texas; never lived in Vidor and don't even know where Crosby is) except for comments on the post "Crosby drops game with Vidor".

I have always hoped that the game was cancelled because of a scheduling conflict or was just too far away to travel.

Now you are confirming what I hoped not to hear. "[u]our administrators apparently think Vidor has always been they way they were and will always be in thier eyes.[/u] "

You are confirming our worst fears that Crosby administrators forced the cancellation because they think that people from Vidor are racist.  Hard to believe that Crosby dropped Vidor due to their finding a stronger opponent.  Believe Coach F has too much integrety and love for SE Texas to do something like that.

While I probably would be defending my school/town if I lived in Crosby, I would be as active in erasing this hatred at home as those folks in Vidor have worked to changing their old image.

No place in Texas for these old racist feelings in Crosby or Vidor.  Let's all just have respect and get along with one another.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="756606" timestamp="1265577375"]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=65269.msg755438#msg755438 date=1265374468]
[/quote]

As Dayton is Dayton and Vidor is Vidor? this exact post is what your criticizing crosby for. Your saying that Crosby is always this way and has always been this way, just like our administrators apparently think Vidor has always been they way they were and will always be in thier eyes.

Congrats your exact insinuation is what your criticizing, its a freaking hypocracy. (this is not an attack on anyone else haven't had a problem with other psot so far.)
[/quote]

Great post. I live near Crosby, not in it, but I know the place. Crosby is an old farming and ranching community and deserves better than what is being written on this board.  Crosby is more than the community of Newport and more than the community of Barrett Station. Newport came along in the 70's and those people came from places all over the state and all over the nation to live there. 

I personally think this thread has gotten way too much bad publicity for Crosby that they do not deserve.  Most of those people don't have a clue what their school board decides or doesn't decide.

[quote name="(13)" post="756761" timestamp="1265601834"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=65269.msg756606#msg756606 date=1265577375]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=65269.msg755438#msg755438 date=1265374468]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great post. I live near Crosby, not in it, but I know the place. Crosby is an old farming and ranching community and deserves better than what is being written on this board.  Crosby is more than the community of Newport and more than the community of Barrett Station. Newport came along in the 70's and those people came from places all over the state and all over the nation to live there. 

I personally think this thread has gotten way too much bad publicity for Crosby that they do not deserve.  Most of those people don't have a clue what their school board decides or doesn't decide.
[/quote]
"As Dayton is Dayton", hmm, I'd be willing to bet Dayton wouldn't drop a game against Vidor, even if most of their players were of a different race. For one thing, Dayton likes the competition over here because it's more competitive year in and year out than over there. Those Broncs are always chomping at the bit to get one of the Golden Triangle teams in their sites win or lose. KF should have stood those school board members down, those folks weren't using any logical sense, just irrational fears.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder