LU football adds to roster, gets gift from Conn's

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
[quote]From Navarro are J.J. Hayes, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound wide receiver from Diboll, and Darby Jackson, a 6-3, 235-pound defensive end from Humble. From Northeastern is Steven Murray-Sesay, a 5-10, 165-pound cornerback from Fort Washington, Md.[/quote]

[quote]A $150,000 donation by Beaumont-based Conn's will go toward the creation of a video-viewing and editing room for the Lamar University football team, the school announced Monday.[/quote]

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_football_adds_to_roster__gets_gift_from_conn_s.html

Where's the release from the school regarding the $150k donation? Is it on the Lamar.edu web site? Because I do not see it on LamarCardinals.com.

Either way, it is not on the LamarCardinals.com web site. Again, more opportunities wasted in promoting the program. I'm really surprised that the university continues to misstep when it comes these marketing and promotion opportunities. From an outsider's perspective, Lamar is really botching the marketing and PR behind the football effort. Bearkat41 and I were discussing this on KatFans.com.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="742684" timestamp="1263319692"]Sounds like jealousy to me. ;)
[/quote]

What is there to be jealous of...? Considering there nothing as far as news from the school regarding the new upstart program, there is absolutely nothing - LITERALLY - to be jealous of!

I guess I could be jealous of the Beaumont Enterprise or Port Arthur News since they seem to be put the Lamar news out there, but SHSU has the official athletic web site, in addition to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube efforts and the Huntsville Item and Houston Chronicle.

Guest coachacola
I think for those of us outside of SETX it does appear Lamar is not doing enough to promote football, but I think in the area they are doing a lot to promote it and that's what counts.  The local papers and TV stations do mention football a lot plus I think Coach Woodard and LU have been out in the community drumming up support.

I read where Georgia State sold 1000 season tickets on the first day they went on sale a few weeks ago.  In a couple of weeks we'll see how well the support is for LU football.  I don't think national exposure is that important for the football program, it's the local support that counts.  The big dollar donations like this one from Conn's keep coming in so that's a very good sign.  If Lamar can still sell a few thousand season tickets a year for basketball then they'll sell a lot more football season tickets.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="742707" timestamp="1263321289"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64644.msg742684#msg742684 date=1263319692]Sounds like jealousy to me. ;)
[/quote]

What is there to be jealous of...? Considering there nothing as far as news from the school regarding the new upstart program, there is absolutely nothing - LITERALLY - to be jealous of!

I guess I could be jealous of the Beaumont Enterprise or Port Arthur News since they seem to be put the Lamar news out there, but SHSU has the official athletic web site, in addition to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube efforts and the Huntsville Item and Houston Chronicle.
[/quote]

Yep, it's jealousy. ;D

Guest coachacola
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="742714" timestamp="1263321846"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=64644.msg742707#msg742707 date=1263321289]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64644.msg742684#msg742684 date=1263319692]Sounds like jealousy to me. ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, it's jealousy. ;D
[/quote]

All that publicity sure did bring the crowds to their football games.  According to the NCAA, SHSU averaged 5,370 per game last year!  :D

[quote name="coachacola" post="742710" timestamp="1263321558"]I think for those of us outside of SETX it does appear Lamar is not doing enough to promote football, but I think in the area they are doing a lot to promote it and that's what counts.  The local papers and TV stations do mention football a lot plus I think Coach Woodard and LU have been out in the community drumming up support.[/quote]

In SETX or outside of SETX - it is important to update an athletic web site.

In today's internet and technology age - having a web site full of information and positive press regarding your school speaks a lot to a recruit. Having nothing does not do the student-athletes or programs justice...

Do these recruits from out of the market know much about the Beaumont Enterprise or Port Arthur News? No, not really. The first place they go is the school athletic web site. That's really the "front porch" to athletics since it is out there for the whole world to see, just like athletics is the "front porch" to a university.

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=64644.msg742720#msg742720 date=1263322311]All that publicity sure did bring the crowds to their football games.  According to the NCAA, SHSU averaged 5,370 per game last year!   :D[/quote]

About 40 percent lower than most previous years when we were in the 8500-10k range. That had more to do with weather (negatively impacting the walk-up crowd) and the head coaching staff. You know that coachacola, as you are a smart individual based off of previous discussions we have had.

Should I really bother presenting facts on this board? Guess I need to keep in mind that this is the lone board in the SLC, in which fans are not open to discussing conference issues and other schools, whose decisions directly impact their own program's ability to succeed at such a "low level"...  ::)

Not since the days of PATITAN has anyone inflamed me more than TT.  But on this one, I agree with him.  It is inexcusable for our Athletic Promotion and Sports Information to not be consistently out front with informationa and promotion.  We are working off the premise "build it and they will come".  I think they could do a whole lot to generate excitement within the local community and the Alumni community that would pay dividends to the program in the long haul.  A lot of fan support and enthusiasm will elevate the new football program above what it would be otherwise.  Just my 2 cents.  Damn, did I really just agree with TT?

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="742762" timestamp="1263325194"]
Not since the days of PATITAN has anyone inflamed me more than TT.  But on this one, I agree with him.  It is inexcusable for our Athletic Promotion and Sports Information to not be consistently out front with informationa and promotion.  We are working off the premise "build it and they will come".  I think they could do a whole lot to generate excitement within the local community and the Alumni community that would pay dividends to the program in the long haul.  A lot of fan support and enthusiasm will elevate the new football program above what it would be otherwise.  Just my 2 cents.  dang, did I really just agree with TT?
[/quote]

Here's an example.  I saw on the Athletic web site a solicitation for a Scoreboard sponsor.  That is something we should be knocking on doors for with a slick powerpoint presentation with a mock up of the board with each perspective donors name and advertising that we make a presentation too  so they can feel and see what it would do for the university, the football program and for their company.  Maybe they are doing this, but we would never know based on everything else.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="742762" timestamp="1263325194"]
Not since the days of PATITAN has anyone inflamed me more than TT.  But on this one, I agree with him.  It is inexcusable for our Athletic Promotion and Sports Information to not be consistently out front with informationa and promotion.  We are working off the premise "build it and they will come".  I think they could do a whole lot to generate excitement within the local community and the Alumni community that would pay dividends to the program in the long haul.  A lot of fan support and enthusiasm will elevate the new football program above what it would be otherwise.  Just my 2 cents.  dang, did I really just agree with TT?
[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you say.  It really irritates me that the Construction Web Blog hasn't been updated in over 3 months or that the athletic department doesn't release drawings or an animated video of what the stadium and athletic complex will look like.  But I REALLY don't like TT posting on other forums how Lamar is doing everything wrong and the athletic department is a complete embarrassment.  Instead of just worrying about SHSU or UNO he has to put down LU and other schools like Texas State.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="742767" timestamp="1263325469"]
Here's an example.  I saw on the Athletic web site a solicitation for a Scoreboard sponsor.  That is something we should be knocking on doors for with a slick powerpoint presentation with a mock up of the board with each perspective donors name and advertising that we make a presentation too  so they can feel and see what it would do for the university, the football program and for their company.  Maybe they are doing this, but we would never know based on everything else.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure that the scoreboard company actually does this. Atleast that is the case with the scoreboards (jumbotrons) at PNG and Nederland. The company sells the adds. The school just provides the spot for the board! This is why PNG has the nice new big board. It was not a part of the bond issue and the tax payers are not out anything. Should be the same with Lamar and the new BISD Board.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="742673" timestamp="1263318717"]
Where's the release from the school regarding the $150k donation? Is it on the Lamar.edu web site? Because I do not see it on LamarCardinals.com.

Either way, it is not on the LamarCardinals.com web site. Again, more opportunities wasted in promoting the program. I'm really surprised that the university continues to misstep when it comes these marketing and promotion opportunities. From an outsider's perspective, Lamar is really botching the marketing and PR behind the football effort. Bearkat41 and I were discussing this on KatFans.com.
[/quote]

I agree.  Lamar University does not have the financial resources to compare with UTSA, Georgia St., South Alabama, etc.  But the marketing and promotions aspect of startup Division I programs is vitally important, and we've failed thus far in that area. 

We are competing very well with these other schools.. Our Stadium will be nicer than most of the ones the start ups will be playing in... Our stadium will be an on campus stadium that is ours. UTSA will be playing in a less than half full Alamo dome.

Guest coachacola
Since I don't live in SETX anymore I might be off base on this, but hasn't the local media been covering Lamar football a lot?  Unlike UTSA and Georgia State, Lamar isn't located in a large metro where they have hard time just getting attention in the local media.  UTSA has to compete against the Spurs and all the other stuff you can do in San Antonio.  Georgia State has Ga Tech, the Falcons, Braves, etc. to compete against.

I don't think LU needs a large internet campaign to be successful.  The majority of ticket buying fans will come from SETX and they won't have to go to the website to get the latest news, the local media will be covering it.  Of course it would help to have a stronger online marketing effort, especially for fans like me who live outside of SETX, but it's not going to make or break the program.

The only thing is, we are the only few people that read about Lamar online, or the people that will voice any displeasure about it to the athletic department, so it is not a huge goal of theirs to spend money and time to a just a couple people on the web. Maybe it should be... but it's not right now.

The internet is more for recruits outside of setx that know nothing about the program, but they're being recruited by them. As a college athlete, when I was recruited by a school the first thing I'd do was check out their website, roster, facility, coaching staff's resume, etc.. And when Lamar has nothing more than the coaching staff, it's slightly discouraging. They don't even have as much as an updated picture or a regular picture before renovations were started at moneybags field. They need those types of things. Not for us, the recruits. The news, billboards, newspaper, etc... Will suffice for everyone locally. That's all they need.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin