Stadium Talk: To Turf or not to Turf? That is the question.

This week I noticed that Dayton had a really nice field. I loved the Turf. Of course the visitor side stands werent big enough but no ones ever are. I think Lumberton is one of the few teams where the visitor side used to be the home side so it is very adequate. It is a pretty field, but is turf really worth the money? I know there are cons to it. Are there any benifits other than looks and maintenance?

well, if you are really going for looks, and I could be wrong here but if you took a poll, the fans would say to build better stands than making a change that only diehard fans will appriciate. The average fan gets tickled with the Logo on centerfield. But if you can justify the avantage for your team, then I guess its ok, but a million dollars for a pretty field just seems so ficken expensive.

I do have to say I hate our press box in Lumberton. I love our stadium except for that. looks like someone stuck a mobil home up there or something. The press box on the visitor side...the old main press box...looked way cooler.

The other important thing is a good PA system. Daytons PA sucked. The visitors can't hear anything. But at least it didnt sound like the announcer didnt sound like an old Drive thru Speaker like some I have seen

i liked dayton's stadium, i was comfortable and the field was very nice. i have to say though that last week in Hamshire Fannett stadium it was a bit tight. i wish their visitor stands would have been the same size as their home stands. i'm a pretty big guy and my friends were having fun with me saying i was a 5A size guy trying to fit in a 3A size stadium :lol: i thought it was funny.

haha...Yeah we had a tight fit at the Fannett game and that was a scrimmage...we would have been wrapped around the field if it were a game. we have an awesome turnout this year. At the dayton game, when we finally did find seats, my GF had to sit below me and the kid sat in my lap. I guess they wanted to make sure that even the fans got squashed on Friday.

haha...Yeah we had a tight fit at the Fannett game and that was a scrimmage...we would have been wrapped around the field if it were a game. we have an awesome turnout this year. At the dayton game' date=' when we finally did find seats, my GF had to sit below me and the kid sat in my lap. I guess they wanted to make sure that even the fans got squashed on Friday.[/quote']

:shock: man sounds like yall had a packed house last friday.

I do have to say I hate our press box in Lumberton. I love our stadium except for that. looks like someone stuck a mobil home up there or something. The press box on the visitor side...the old main press box...looked way cooler.

The other important thing is a good PA system. Daytons PA sucked. The visitors can't hear anything. But at least it didnt sound like the announcer didnt sound like an old Drive thru Speaker like some I have seen

You are right about the PA system. They are supposed to start renovating in December. The home side will be the visitor side, new press box, hopefully new PA system.

Since we are talking about PA systems. What is the deal with the game announcer at L-Town. I ain't sure but I don't believe most announcers chant and say cheers for the home team. That is not cool!. That dud e drove me nuts at the JV game. Cool part was the more he had to say the better we played. :?: :?:

someone else will have to help me here. I am not sure if the JV announcer and the Varsity announcer are the same. haha. For the longest time it was Mr. Buffington did it, who was great but showed little enthusiasm. Very traditional. You would like him probably. We do have a new one at the Varsity games and he is...enthusiastic...We like him but I can see why the other team might not. I know I would probably feel the same way if I were you.

You are right about the PA system. They are supposed to start renovating in December. The home side will be the visitor side' date=' new press box, hopefully new PA system.

Since we are talking about PA systems. What is the deal with the game announcer at L-Town. I ain't sure but I don't believe most announcers chant and say cheers for the home team. That is not cool!. That dud e drove me nuts at the JV game. Cool part was the more he had to say the better we played. :?: :?:[/quote']

You should hear the Huffman announcer.....talk about taunting......he should be replaced or controlled.... :evil:

You should hear the Huffman announcer.....talk about taunting......he should be replaced or controlled.... :evil:

Yeah that is sorry, an announcer is supposed to be un-bias.

Not taunting the other team. I don't think the boys pay any attention but it sure is annoying.

On the Lumberton JV announcer, when the BC JV went to Lumberton we had the same thoughts.......never have we heard an announcer cheering on the home team. Think there may be some UIL rule about that, but maybe it only pertains to Varsity games........

earlier someone had mentioned the run thru's. Lumberton just got one this year. The reason was because the old Coach thought they were cheesy so instead we ran thru paper...true PeeWee style. What do you think? Are they worth the money? Who has the best one? Talk Amungst ya selves...

earlier someone had mentioned the run thru's. Lumberton just got one this year. The reason was because the old Coach thought they were cheesy so instead we ran thru paper...true PeeWee style. What do you think? Are they worth the money? Who has the best one? Talk Amungst ya selves...
I like our skull ..

Nederland has a cool looking one..PNG has the tee-pee.i

At the PNG game the announcer didn't completely turn off the speaker when he wasn't talking. He was making comments like "we need to hurt that guy" etc. in reference to the Silsbee squad. If you were near the speaker you would hear the conversation.

In terms of turf I wonder what the cost of maintenance is versus grass over a 5 year period.

I know the announcer from PN-G and it is highly unlikely he said anything close to what tigger 90 is refering to. I was there and while there was some talking going on that was not intended to be heard over the PA system I didn't hear anything close to what he is being accused of. Sounds like bad grapes to me. I do not think there is anyone who has ever heard the announcer from PN-G ever come close to what tigger has stated. Get your hearing checked.

i think turf would be a nice addition to any stadium. i know everyone is worried about maintence and cost, naturally those are things that have to be accounted for. however being a former student from a school that puts a emphasis on the success of football i would always like our football facilities to be top notch. our stadium is not all that new, but i think turf would make it look more modern. for example dayton's stadium in my opinion is not the fanciest stadium in the world. it is however a nice stadium and that beautiful bright green artificial turf adds an extra special touch and gives it a modern look.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin