Houston Yates 170, Houston Lee 35 - Final

cutt

[quote name="SFA85" post="739532" timestamp="1262817032"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64409.msg739526#msg739526 date=1262815243]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=64409.msg739523#msg739523 date=1262814597]
Bottom line, Westend, blowouts go on all the time but when it happens in the Burbs, no calls to the radio shows or no features on ESPN.  3rd Ward nets a blowout on a hapless Lee school and it's the topic of the day and the kids are labled thugs and whatnot....
[/quote]

That's BS SFA.   If a "Burb" had beaten someone like this, they would also have been crucified by the media, and rightfully so.  Don't make this racial.  You should know I don't play that game.  Bottom line: they should have gotten out of the full court press.  It was classless, and none of your excuses will change that.
[/quote]

The next time PN-G or Nederland beats Ozen and or Central in baseball by 20 runs, I'll be sure to let you know.  There was no cry about Lake Travis running up the score in football and I have other examples.  Like Carl Dukes pointed out, win Katy blows somebody out in football or Bellaire in baseball, there's no outrage.......
[/quote]

Baseball has a mercy rule.  When lake Travis or Katy, gets up big, they run the ball.  Yates should have called off the press.  No one would have any "outrage" if Yates wins by 100 with some show of sportsmanship.    This is not about the yates kids, it's about a classless coach.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevenash
[quote name="Gabe" post="739537" timestamp="1262818372"]
I don't like they pressed for so long but if Lee doesn't want to get scored on so much, play better defense. This is almost exactly like a football team scoring 70. Nothing ever gets said about that.
[/quote]

Am hearing a rumor that the Yates team is essentially an AAU all star team.  Any truth to that?

Guest stevenash
[quote name="SFA85" post="739533" timestamp="1262817122"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=64409.msg739531#msg739531 date=1262816924]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739342#msg739342 date=1262797216]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739331#msg739331 date=1262795715]
Wise and anybody else in his corner can come up with all the excuses they want. It doesn't change the fact that it is WRONG to beat someone like that.

I really don't have a problem with a team scoring 170 points, as long as the other team is scoring right there with you. But if you are up by almost 100 points at HALFTIME, wouldn't you think it was time to call the dogs off? 99.9% of all coaches would say yes. We know who the .1% is. ::)

The Lee coach should have not brought his team out after half.

Also, should have been a running clock.
[/quote]The only reasonable thing you said is to use a running clock. I don't hear any whining when a high school baseball score is 15-0 or a tennis match is lopsided. This is what happens with top tier teams or athletes in individual competitive sports. Non-competitive types want you to slack off on lesser talent. You can't!!! There is a certain edge you have to maintain in order to compete at a top level. It's hard enough to maintain motivation playing against weaker opponents. So you still have to set goals even against weak teams or opponents. Trust me, when Yates play against tougher teams, they will need the same intensity to win. Teams should get better or stop your whining.
[/quote]

Whats the deal Dove? YOu are starting to sound like a Republican.  After all, the OBAMA WAY would demand that Yates give 75 of their points to the losers in the interest of "fairness"
[/quote]
Naw, my President probably would've stopped @125 but not give back any point
Thankfully, "your president" only has three years left to impart his damage.  Handwriting already on the wall when Chris Dodd announced    his "retirement"(translation- i know i will get my but kicked in next election) today.

If you don't want to get beat by 135 pts, then stop them. I've been on both sides of the ball. My team has gotten beat by 50 in basketball but I've been on baseball teams that won 28-0. When I play a sport, I play to win and win big. Don't play sports if your going to get your feelings hurt when you lose big because it could happen. It would be a slap in the face if a team was up 50 on us and just holding the ball and playing keep a way. Bottom line is their team is better than Lee's, go back to the drawing board and move on to the next game. No need to cry and complain about them running up the score. If they would of played better defense, that wouldn't of happened. Yates is the #2 team in the nation so I would imagine someone else is going to take a beatdown this season. That coach shouldn't be fired or whatever else people are saying. If you think your going to get embarassed, just don't show up. That's just me. Go Cowboys!!!

[quote name="stevenash" post="739541" timestamp="1262818853"]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=64409.msg739537#msg739537 date=1262818372]
I don't like they pressed for so long but if Lee doesn't want to get scored on so much, play better defense. This is almost exactly like a football team scoring 70. Nothing ever gets said about that.
[/quote]

Am hearing a rumor that the Yates team is essentially an AAU all star team.  Any truth to that?
[/quote]

I have heard they have some "sponsors" which would lead me to believe that they do have some ties to an AAU team.  How in the world does an inner city school in Houston ISD fund a trip for their basketball team to travel to Hawii for a tournament.  Maybe they had a bake sale to raise the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

the whole "it's their job to stop us" is a good argument in the pros, where players are getting paid.  if i was making 5 million bucks a year, i would agree that it was my job to stop the opposing team.  for these poor kids, it's not a job.  they're playing because they love the game, and nothing can squash that love quicker than having to play what is essentially a high school all-star team that never lets up.  

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="739549" timestamp="1262819790"]
I didn't read about them pressing almost the entire game. Who presses when their up 100? I only do that in NCAA Basketball on my Playstation.
[/quote]

They pressed the ENTIRE game, from start to fininsh.

Greg Wise is so proud. ::)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739554" timestamp="1262820488"]
[quote author=NickKBTV link=topic=64409.msg739549#msg739549 date=1262819790]
I didn't read about them pressing almost the entire game. Who presses when their up 100? I only do that in NCAA Basketball on my Playstation.
[/quote]

They pressed the ENTIRE game, from start to fininsh.

Greg Wise is so proud. ::)
[/quote]

OK Mike that is a total different story. There is no excuse for pressing the entire game when up that big. I did not know that part of the story.

[quote name="sbparent" post="739550" timestamp="1262819884"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=64409.msg739541#msg739541 date=1262818853]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have heard they have some "sponsors" which would lead me to believe that they do have some ties to an AAU team.  How in the world does an inner city school in Houston ISD fund a trip for their basketball team to travel to Hawii for a tournament.  Maybe they had a bake sale to raise the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
[/quote]

As far as the being an AAU team thats false. The tournament sponsors paid for everything except airfare in which they have been raising money for that since last year.

[quote name="stevenash" post="739541" timestamp="1262818853"]
[/quote]

[/quote]Just rumors! Yates has always been good in basketball.

[quote name="palincoln4life" post="739572" timestamp="1262823750"]
Also, why all the uproar now. If you have seen Yates play the last three years since Wise has been there you know thats how they play. I have said all along that they may hit 200 points more than once in district because their district is so weak.
[/quote]

What is the point in scoring 200 points unless you need to score that many to win a game?

Like I said, I have no problem with any team scoring 170 points if the game is competitive, say like 170-105 or something like that. But when you are up 100-12 at half, time to rethink on how the rest of the game should be played. Wise needs to be a better man, not necessarily a better coach.

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="739575" timestamp="1262824407"]
It's sports guys blow outs are gonna happen whats the big deal?
[/quote]

A 60 point win is a blowout.  130 is an attempt to embarrass or humiliate, and it's easily prevented.  It's not a "big deal", but this is a sports forum and it's worth discussing.

Guest HFGirlsSportsFan
Carl Dukes (ESPN Radio) interviewed one of Yate's player's father.  I believe his last name is Young and he is an asst coach at UH.  In the third quarter there was a bench clearing brawl in which both teams had their benches ejected from the game and play was halted for 15 minutes.  Mr. Young defended this as something that happens in sports.  Maybe proffessional sports.  I've never seen a bench clearing brawl in High School.  Then he went on to say that Yates only knows one way to play (press all the time) and that these kids need to play like that to show off to the scouts to get into the best colleges.  Seeing as how most of these players will eventually be making a living doing something other than playing basketball, its sad to see that their coach and father won't be contributing to making them better adults.

[quote name="JoesBros" post="739332" timestamp="1262795772"]
This is the hot topic on 790 this morning its not often they talk high school sports on there!
[/quote]

JB, do you actually listen to the 790AM morning show?  One of the hosts (Adam Wexlar) has the voice of a 12 year old boy and the other one (Matt Jackson) is only a slight improvement...he sounds like a high schooler.  I can't bear listening to a couple of "children" on the radio.  'Never understood why some people who do not have a voice for radio are allowed to work behind the microphone.  

Judging from what I have read, Wise is a bit one-dimensional. If his team only knows one way to play and that is to press the whole game, he is not preparing any of them for basketball after high school. How many teams in D-1 actually press? Of those, how many is the press their primary way of scoring? These kids college coaches are going to have their work cut out for them in teaching man defense. Also, who likes to coach when you are up by that much? There can't be much coaching going on after it seems halfway through the first quarter. Don't get me wrong, Wise seems to be an extrememely good coach of teaching how to press, but after that...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739573" timestamp="1262824001"]
[quote author=palincoln4life link=topic=64409.msg739572#msg739572 date=1262823750]
Also, why all the uproar now. If you have seen Yates play the last three years since Wise has been there you know thats how they play. I have said all along that they may hit 200 points more than once in district because their district is so weak.
[/quote]

What is the point in scoring 200 points unless you need to score that many to win a game?

Like I said, I have no problem with any team scoring 170 points if the game is competitive, say like 170-105 or something like that. But when you are up 100-12 at half, time to rethink on how the rest of the game should be played. Wise needs to be a better man, not necessarily a better coach.
[/quote] AAW he play 13 player the first quater.All 15 the rest of the game.You cant tell a player not to score.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="palincoln4life" post="739557" timestamp="1262821204"]
[quote author=sbparent link=topic=64409.msg739550#msg739550 date=1262819884]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=64409.msg739541#msg739541 date=1262818853]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As far as the being an AAU team thats false. The tournament sponsors paid for everything except airfare in which they have been raising money for that since last year.
[/quote]

Would that also mean that the rumor that two of the players are from California is also not true

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder