Is this the beginning of the end of Hooks ERA

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough for anyone to win in the playoffs with 5 turnovers!! This year kinda reminds me of '94. They had some turmoil then with suspensions and injuries and came back strong in '95. If it weren't for a great LaMarque team in '95, WOS would've put another triophy in their case. WOS will be a lot better next year with the experience their underclassmen got this year.

Well, Being a BC fan. It would not hurt my feelings if he did.  But really if he does hang it up.  He had one heck of a run and will go down as one of the greatest coaches in Texas High School history.  WOS had a down year this year, but I am sure they will get it back together in the near future.

Hooks will stay at WOS as long as he wants too.  With that being said, he hasn't done much in the past 6 years while in 3A.  I think once WOS dropped down, everyone would have thought that in 6 years they would have won at least 1 state championship.  Sometimes change is needed, and a new face is what is needed to take a program to the next level.  There is not any excuse for WOS losing in the first round twice, in 6 years in class 3A.  Pretty embarrassing for a once mighty program.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="707334" timestamp="1258204262"]
Hooks will stay at WOS as long as he wants too.  With that being said, he hasn't done much in the past 6 years while in 3A.  I think once WOS dropped down, everyone would have thought that in 6 years they would have won at least 1 state championship.  Sometimes change is needed, and a new face is what is needed to take a program to the next level.  There is not any excuse for WOS losing in the first round twice, in 6 years in class 3A.  Pretty embarrassing for a once mighty program.
[/quote]

It all goes to show how difficult it is to win a state championship.  Nothing "embarrassing" about it.  We had probably our weakest team, though still a pretty good one, since our first year in 3A.  This year's team was very young, had a new QB, new OC, and plenty of injuries to slow our progress.  It took several weeks to hit our stride.  To say Hooks should move on is utterly stupid, and you look foolish saying it.  This kind of "change for change's sake" thinking is counter-productive and laughable.  He will stay on because he still enjoys coaching and he has one of the best programs in Texas. 

[quote name="Titletown2" post="707067" timestamp="1258175970"]
[b]Tough for anyone to win in the playoffs with 5 turnovers!! [/b]
[/quote]

[b]This year's team was very young, had a new QB, new OC, and plenty of injuries to slow our progress. [/b]

Wow, and I was utterly crucified for making statements like this.

lmao .dan ray hooks is not going  NO WHERE. now with the new pragram  coach foreman is putting into place with this READ MY LIPS very young mustang team he will stick around. coach foreman will have alot to work with in the comming years count on it. my hats off to the coaching staff at wo-s super job with  alot of kids going down and  the other things that happned good job to all the coaching staff at wo-s . i being a long time mustan fan i am very proud of all the kids and dan ray hooks staff. (MUSTANGS WILL BE BACK)

I'm far from a WO-S fan but this whole thread is ridiculous. If Hooks retires, I have to assume it will be because he has had enough, not because he made a first-round exit in the playoffs. There are countless coaches who wish they had half the numbers Hooks does. Again, I'm no Hooks/Stang fan but, in a game where numbers mean everything, I think it's safe to say that Hooks will determine his own exit point. One last comment. I know Stang fans view this as an off year but c'mon...Most schools would consider this a successful season.

[quote name="LR1969" post="707354" timestamp="1258207885"]
I'm far from a WO-S fan but this whole thread is ridiculous. If Hooks retires, I have to assume it will be because he has had enough, not because he made a first-round exit in the playoffs. There are countless coaches who wish they had half the numbers Hooks does. Again, I'm no Hooks/Stang fan but, in a game where numbers mean everything, I think it's safe to say that Hooks will determine his own exit point. One last comment. I know Stang fans view this as an off year but c'mon...Most schools would consider this a successful season.
[/quote]

True.  I agree it was a successful season, though very unpredictable along the journey.  It's all about perspective.  Sure, we wanted to go further, but I guarantee you most of the WO-S faithful here appreciate every win.  

Congratulations to Coldsprings.  

Guest pirates
[quote name="LR1969" post="707354" timestamp="1258207885"]
[/quote]

Great post.

Well, I dont know where some of yall are getting you info, but I happen to have good ties with the Hooks family, have known them since i was like 5, and Coach Hooks isnt going anywhere anytime soon, he wants another State Championship, and I believe, that in 2 years, he will get it. As everyone has said, young team this year, so in 2 years time they should be unstoppable. < And this is coming from a die hard BC guy!!!

Two losses and a first round playoff exit is not an off year but it does fall way short of the preseason expectations of many fans and opponents.

Many expect the same or better results of years past despite all the challenges they have faced; Many school board battles, the loss of the OC, a brand new OC (he's improving and will continue to improve, it just takes time), no hiring replacements, declining enrollment, player controversy with suspension, not to mention all the criticism and negativity that went along with their first district loss.

And let's give credit where credit is due. The area 3A districts are much improved and the competition is better than it's ever been.

The Mustangs will be back

[quote name="cornhusker" post="707393" timestamp="1258210815"]
Some fans from WOS think that you can win state championships every other year but it is not going to happen. There are lots of good 3A teams in Texas. You have to be good, have the right breaks in games and be very good. Good program at WOS but there all over Texas.
[/quote]

You are so right.  And it seems that some teams find their sweet spot for a handful of years at time and then come back to the pack.  Liberty Hill had their run of several good years.  Commerce, Ennis, Stephenville, Sealy, etc etc.  Teams dominate for a few years and then are a threat on any given year to win it all.  WO-S had their good run where for 3 years and have been a threat to go all the way many years besides those three.  There are many other teams that the same thing could be said about them.  Next year and year after next will be no different.  They will be capable of running the tables as will Abilene Wiley, Giddings, Cuero and a few others that every year have that potential.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123