*Crosby vs. BH/Crosby wins 21-16/Comments

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BH had multiple chances to win tonight, but the Crosby D stepped up and picked two passes in the last 5 minutes of the game to preserve the win. The BH D stepped up big time tonight!!! They shut Crosby down in the second half to give BH a chance to win the game. I think BH ended up with 5 turnovers tonight and you just can't overcome that against a good team. Congrats to Crosby on you district championship!!

Great game Coogs! Defense bent, but didn't break. Vivarette's the real deal. BH I thought left it all out on the field. Can't recall BH WR #82's name but he had a heck of game as well, tough kid. Once again, Coogs got some breaks, but you have to hand it to them, they stepped up when they had to. I thought Merka and Jakacey played a heck of a game as well. Merka's a load to bring down. Great Friday night high school football game. BH kids showed real class coming over and shaking hands with a couple of our hurt players on the sidelines after the game. Went out of their way to do so. Both teams played a great game. Way to go Coogs!

Congrats to Crosby! You guys deserve to be Champs! Your D stepped up with the game on the line. With that said, the BH D held Crosby to 1 TD each half. The O moved the ball plenty enough to win the game. Mental mistakes and turnovers is what hurt us. But that stops now Eagles, Let's make some noise! Take care of this last district game! Focus and continue to work hard.

Are any of the players that were hurt on either team done for the year? I sure hope not.

This was one heck of a game. All i have been hearing from people is that Crosby is undersized. I don't know what team they are looking at because Crosby was big and fast as any team we have faced. And they are definitely the hardest hitting team we have seen all year. They will LAY THE WOOD. BH played really well also, its just hard to win against any team with that many mistakes, especially against a team that is as good as Crosby. But again this was a GREAT game on both sides.

There is no pun intended here- Barbers Hill is the best 4-5 team in the state.  They absolutely played their hearts out last night.  Turnover bug has hurt them all year and it got them again last night.  King lost to GCM however so all the Hill has to do is take care of North Forest and they are back in the playoffs.  Hats off to Barbers Hill for a valiant effort and COngrats Crosby on the win.

We've got to be the best 5 loss team....... :'(

Team Stats
Crosby Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill
Total yards 301 475
First downs 13 24
Rushes/Yds 41/228 43/230
Average rush 5.56 5.35
Comp/Atts 5/8/0 22/37/4
Pass yards 73 245
Comp pct 62.5 59.46
Punts 3 0
Punting Yards 71 0
Punting Average 23.67 0
Fumbles/Lost 1/1 3/1
Penalties-yards 5-35 3-20

Crosby
Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Dominic Merka 5 8 62.5 73 0 0
Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Dominic Merka 11 86 7.8 0 0
Jakacy Evans 27 138 5.1 0 2
Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Kelvin Holmes 1 29 29 0 0
Ashton Martin 1 24 24 0 0

Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill
Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Matthew Viverette 22 37 59.46 245 1 4
Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Matthew Viverette 24 124 5.2 0 0
Logan Stubbs 18 103 5.7 0 1
Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Carter Smith 9 131 14.6 0 1
Wade Duke 6 63 10.5 0 0

Total domination by BH, except turnovers and score. 

Crosby claims turnovers, district championship
By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published October 24, 2009
MONT BELVIEU – When Barbers Hill’s defense and maybe some bad karma kept Crosby’s offense from firing on all cylinders, the Cougar defense had a tip.

Two actually.

Twice Cougar defenders intercepted passes that were tipped by Barbers Hill receivers. M.J. Mathis returned one for a 56-yard first-half touchdown and that proved to be the difference in Crosby’s 21-16 win.

The win gives the Cougars at least a share of the District 19-4A championship. They are 6-0 in district and 6-2 overall and finish league play next week at home against 1-7 Galena Park.

Dayton, 5-1 in district, is the only team with a chance to catch Crosby.

Barbers Hill, 4-5 overall, dropped into a fourth-place tie with C.E. King at 3-3 but only needs to win its final league game against 0-8 North Forest next week to make the playoffs as it holds the head-to-head tiebreaker edge over C.E. King.

A tipped interception by cornerback Cameron Trench with a little more than a minute to go stopped Barbers Hill’s last chance at the Cougar 15-yard line and preserved the win.

It was the second interception by Crosby in the game’s final three minutes.

“It was ugly, but it’s a win and we won’t give it back,” Crosby coach Kevin Flanigan said after the game, in which Barbers Hill outgained the Cougars 454 yards to 300.

“Those guys (the Eagles) played well. I think our guys played hard, but I don’t think we executed well. I think those guys (the Eagles) are sick over there (in their locker room), because they outplayed us.”

Four interceptions and five total BH turnovers made the difference.

“It was just mistakes,” Eagles coach Don Price said. “If we could learn to play without them. I know they’re not trying to make them.”

Crosby led 14-9 at halftime and scored on its first second-half possession with Ja’Kacy Evans going two yards for his second touchdown of the night and a 21-9 Cougar lead.

Evans led Crosby rushers with 127 yards on 25 carries and quarterback Dominic Merka rushed for 88 yards and passed for 74 more.

Barbers Hill made it a one-score game late in the fourth quarter when Matthew Viverette hit a streaking Carter Smith for a 54-yard score with 4:42 remaining.

Viverette passed for 240 yards on 22-of-38 accuracy, but suffered the four interceptions. rushed 22 times for 131 yards, to finish with 371 total yards. Logan Stubbs added 92 BH yards and a touchdown on 17 carries. Smith caught nine passes for 130 yards.

Barbers Hill ran twice as many plays as Crosby (40-20) in the first half, but trailed after two big misses and one large turnover.

A Viverette screen pass tipped by the receiver right to Crosby defender M.J. Mathis and Mathis’ 56-yard sprint gave the Cougars their 14-9 lead with 5:29 left in the first quarter.

Before that, the Eagles opened the game with an eight-play, 75-yard march with the opening kickoff to a five-yard Stubbs TD run.

Stubbs, carried 11 times for 66 yards in the first half.

Viverette rushed 15 times for 97 yards and passed for 88 more in the first half on 8-of-14 accuracy, with the one costly interception.

Crosby appeared headed to a 7-7 tie when its quarterback, Merka, ripped off a 28-yard gain on the first Cougar play. But after the Cougars reached the BH 34, Eagle defenders stood up ballcarrier Evans and DB Stuart Hamlin succeeded in ripping the ball away from him.

In turn, the Eagles marched from their 28 to the Cougar 4-yard line before Crosby’s blitzing Marchael Bryant batted away Viverette’s third-down pass. BH settled for Chris Frazier’s 22-yard field goal and a 9-0 lead.

Crosby’s next drive started with a 28-yards kickoff return by Cameron Trench. Evans carried five times for 39 yards on the drive, including a seven-yard score to cut the Eagle lead to 9-7 with 9 seconds left in the first quarter.

After Mathis’ “pick six” put Crosby ahead 14-9, the Eagles moved 60 yards in 11 plays to a fourth-and-2 at the Cougar 7. They lined up to go for it, but an illegal procedure call led Price to send out his field goal unit.

Bryant blocked Frazier’s 29-yard attempt with 43 seconds left in the half.

“We just can’t fumble the ball and you can’t have penalties on fourth-and-2,” Price said. “You sure can’t give up a turnover for a touchdown.

“The game is real simple if you can figure that out.”

I have to give it to BH great teama nd that QB is a load to take down.

I will say he needs to watch those CB's who want to jump routes.

Crosby Offense was wayyyyyyy to predictable. i think 75% of the plays where the Read option play....

Probably helped that BH knew what we were going to do.

(we almost brought 2-4 TD's back for touchdowns but we only got one)

Defense played a perfect game for crosby if you edit out the first two drives and that bomb they gave up in the third quarter.

I will say V really wanted to get the ball to 88? 55% of the passes went his way... (3 of the pics were passes intended for him)

Great game had my heart racing and my pride high at the end of the game.... NOW TIME FOR THE OUTRIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP! BRING ON GALENA!

[quote name="whitewolf09" post="684975" timestamp="1256397806"]
So guys .. are we going to the playoffs or not ... I think after this year price needs to hang the coat up
[/quote]I don't understand you so called Barbers Hill fans! All y'all do is blame Price. answer me this:
Have you ever had a coach with a better winning record?
How many times has he taken you to the playoffs?
Is he still getting the job done?
I hate to say it BH parents and fans, but y'all are out matched every year.  If you took the whole district position by position, and matched them up athletically...........you might win one o line position! You are out muscled, out sized, and you don't have speed...this is every year....so how do you win???
TALENT and talent is COACHED.....If anything you should be thanking Price for winning so much despite these odds....maybe a raise or hug or kiss or something!!!!!........Maybe a little appreciation!!!!........that might work!!!!!

[quote name="hitman009" post="685754" timestamp="1256487888"]
[quote author=whitewolf09 link=topic=61233.msg684975#msg684975 date=1256397806]
So guys .. are we going to the playoffs or not ... I think after this year price needs to hang the coat up
[/quote]I don't understand you so called Barbers Hill fans! All y'all do is blame Price. answer me this:
I hate to say it BH parents and fans, but y'all are out matched every year.  If you took the whole district position by position, and matched them up athletically...........you might win one o line position! You are out muscled, out sized, and you don't have speed...this is every year....so how do you win???
TALENT and talent is COACHED.....If anything you should be thanking Price for winning so much despite these odds....maybe a raise or hug or kiss or something!!!!!........Maybe a little appreciation!!!!........that might work!!!!!
[/quote]

Maybe you should crawl back in the hole you came out of, because you know nothing about BH football.  I didn't make the quoted post, however he or she is absolutely right. We routinely lose to teams with less talent, every year.  It's happen 4 if not 5 times this year alone.  There is more to coaching than XX's and OO's, most of which is leadership and setting an example.  Something we have been lacking for years now. 

[quote name="hitman009" post="685754" timestamp="1256487888"]
[/quote][b]I don't understand [/b] you so called Barbers Hill fans! All y'all do is blame Price. answer me this:
[/quote]
say no more.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="685765" timestamp="1256489571"]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=61233.msg685754#msg685754 date=1256487888]
I hate to say it BH parents and fans, but y'all are out matched every year.  If you took the whole district position by position, and matched them up athletically...........you might win one o line position! You are out muscled, out sized, and you don't have speed...this is every year....so how do you win???
[/quote]

Maybe you should crawl back in the hole you came out of, because you know nothing about BH football.  I didn't make the quoted post, however he or she is absolutely right. We routinely lose to teams with less talent, every year.  It's happen 4 if not 5 times this year alone.  There is more to coaching than XX's and OO's, most of which is leadership and setting an example.  Something we have been lacking for years now.  
[/quote]I'm not trying to put down your kids.....I think you have a great bunch of kids they are just not as athletic as other schools in your district.  Infact their character lets them win games. As for leadership and character, Price is one of the top in the state.  Very high up!!
AS for your loses to "teams with Less talent"........  So you are saying you have better players than PNG, Dayton, GCM and Crosby, and you just lost those games because of coaching??????? ......... don't think so man.. if anything you were in those games because of coaching!!!!!   If you look at the stats, it would say the players lost because of fumbles, 7 in almost all the games.... Coaches don't fumble,  players do. they Usually fumble because a more athletic player hit them and could not hold on to the ball.
Nothing against your kids......but the so called "problem", and I don't call a winning season and playoffs a "problem", does not lie on the field, but in the stands!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="hitman009" post="685787" timestamp="1256490901"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=61233.msg685765#msg685765 date=1256489571]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=61233.msg685754#msg685754 date=1256487888]
I hate to say it BH parents and fans, but y'all are out matched every year.  If you took the whole district position by position, and matched them up athletically...........you might win one o line position! You are out muscled, out sized, and you don't have speed...this is every year....so how do you win???
[/quote]

Maybe you should crawl back in the hole you came out of, because you know nothing about BH football.  I didn't make the quoted post, however he or she is absolutely right. We routinely lose to teams with less talent, every year.  It's happen 4 if not 5 times this year alone.  There is more to coaching than XX's and OO's, most of which is leadership and setting an example.  Something we have been lacking for years now.  

[/quote][b]I'm not trying to put down your kids.....I think you have a great bunch of kids they are just not as athletic as other schools in your district.  Infact their character lets them win games. As for leadership and character, Price is one of the top in the state.  Very high up!!
AS for your loses to "teams with Less talent"........  So you are saying you have better players than PNG, Dayton, GCM and Crosby, and you just lost those games because of coaching??????? ......... don't think so man.. if anything you were in those games because of coaching!!!!!  If you look at the stats, it would say the players lost because of fumbles, 7 in almost all the games.... Coaches don't fumble,  players do. they Usually fumble because a more athletic player hit them and could not hold on to the ball.
Nothing against your kids......but the so called "problem", and I don't call a winning season and playoffs a "problem", does not lie on the field, but in the stands!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/quote]

Amen. I second that emotion!

[color=blue][b]hitman009

I'm not trying to put down your kids.....I think you have a great bunch of kids they are just not as athletic as other schools in your district.  Infact their character lets them win games. As for leadership and character, Price is one of the top in the state.  Very high up!!
AS for your loses to "teams with Less talent"........  So you are saying you have better players than PNG, Dayton, GCM and Crosby, and you just lost those games because of coaching? ......... don't think so man.. if anything you were in those games because of coaching!!!!!  If you look at the stats, it would say the players lost because of fumbles, 7 in almost all the games.... Coaches don't fumble,  players do. they Usually fumble because a more athletic player hit them and could not hold on to the ball.
Nothing against your kids......but the so called "problem", and I don't call a winning season and playoffs a "problem", does not lie on the field, but in the stands!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/color]

Very well said!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder