Vidor's Preseason Dilemma.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember every two years new schedules are made out. If a coach schedules weak teams the first year because he knows his team is weak and he wants a few wins before he gets clobbered in district then the next year his team may be pretty good and he still has to play the notoriously weak teams again and it won't get him ready for district.

I know this is just a long shot as long as Mathews is coach, but I would like to see some tougher competiton close to home. That way it wouldn't hurt gas budgets for away games. I hate to think of the drive to get to the St. Thomas game on a Friday. (My poor wallet ... Have I mentioned I'm poor? LOL!)

Anyway, I'd like to see us play:

West Brook

Memorial -- these two would make for good pre-district rivalries each year as they are both right down the road from the swamp.

We could never get WO-S for a third team as they always seem to be booked up. Maybe somone like Jasper? They have their down years like everyone else but usually are pretty tough most years. We used to play them when they were in 4A and this would bring back one of those old match-ups.

But as long as Jeff calls the shots I'm afraid we'll have to deal with this topic every year.

I think their coach is keeping it simple to keep their egos in check. Afterall they are picked to win district based on the sole fact that they are binging back  alot of seniors. I like the saying the harder the preseason the better it will make you later. I think vidors coach should be scheduling some playoff caliber teams to better his team. Just my opinion not trying to ruffle any feathers lol.

It is all about balance!

Why not play a mixture of teams. If this were a perfect world you would play for a win and to work on execution in your first and maybe second preseason game (depending on how many you get) and then work towards tougher competition. You build confidence early and them you see where you stack up against what should be a better team.

Even losses can teach your team things about themselves and a coach should always be able to look back and say about preseason opponents (at least a few) that, "You won't see anyone in district that was better than them. You hung with them and you can hang with any team!"

If a team plays a weak non-district and pads their wins a bit but then loses almost every game in district, how does that help the coach?

That has happened in 20-4A a few times and it seems even recently. Winning a couple of non-district games then the winning one or no games in district does nothing for the coach. Playing tough non-district opponents and then going to the playoffs keeps jobs, not the total number of W's at the end of the season.

In 2005 Nederland went 1-2 in preseason. Their losses were to West Orange and Westbrook. Then Nederland went two games deep in the playoffs with only a 6-4 team. In 2006 they were 1-2 in preseason with losses to LaMarque and Waller. They again went to games deep in the playoffs with a 6-6 record.

At the same time in 2006, Lumberton went 3-0 in preseason by playing Bridge City, New Caney and Cleveland. They won one game the rest of the year and went 3-7. Any clue to if their fans would trade Nederland's 2006 for theirs?

In 2005 Vidor went 4-4 after going 3-1 in preseason with wins over such daunting opponents as Gulf Shores Academy, Houston Scarborough and New Caney. I wonder if they would trade Nederland's 1-2 preseason for one that went two games into the playoffs for those 3 preseason wins.

The bottom line is, preseason wins don't keep coaches jobs. Going to the playoffs, especially consistently, does keep their jobs.

With a due respect TVC I beg to differ bc you cannot tell me that certain Coaches schedule for some wins. What sounds better 0-10 or 3-7? Some want their teams to get off a strong start in hopes of that carrying over into district. OR OR they know that they are going to get stomped in district and want to get as many W's as they possble. Just my take bc it's a business whether we like it or not.

Honestly etbu, 3-7 sucks just about as bad as 0-10...either way you are going nowhere and I doubt 3-7 with the wins against cupcakes saves many jobs.

"Does playing Kelly, St. Thomas, and Hardin Jefferson get you ready for the big dogs in the district?"

History says...NO!

I would expect if Vidor was going to step down to play a 3A it would at least be WOS or Silsbee. And playing Kelly which amounts to a 2A enrollment is weeeeek. St. Thomas is not much better.

Who are the top four teams each year in local 4A?

Ned

Central

Lum

PNG

Now go look at who they play or have played pre-district. WB, Friendswood, Lamarque, Brehnam, Tx City, Crosby, PAM, Ball, Waller, BHill, all quality 4A or even 5A playoff programs and when they have dropped down and played 3A schools they played the top 3A's in the area in WOS and Silsbee.

By contrast go look at who Vidor and LCM play each year!

LCM doesn't have a little pre-district schedule. Texas City, Silsbee scrimmage, WOS, and even cleveland.

I know this is just a long shot as long as Mathews is coach, but I would like to see some tougher competiton close to home. That way it wouldn't hurt gas budgets for away games. I hate to think of the drive to get to the St. Thomas game on a Friday. (My poor wallet ... Have I mentioned I'm poor? LOL!)

Anyway, I'd like to see us play:

West Brook

Memorial -- these two would make for good pre-district rivalries each year as they are both right down the road from the swamp.

We could never get WO-S for a third team as they always seem to be booked up. Maybe somone like Jasper? They have their down years like everyone else but usually are pretty tough most years. We used to play them when they were in 4A and this would bring back one of those old match-ups.

But as long as Jeff calls the shots I'm afraid we'll have to deal with this topic every year.

hey rusted. man u need to take a step back and look at things man. just bc were playin teams that aren't great football teams doesn't mean were not gunna be ready. maybe the coaches are just trying to see how were gunna react to different defenses. and yea it's prolly to get some wins at the same time. but just bc were not playin dayton or someone like that doesn't mean were not goin to be ready for district. so u need to start takeing up for ur home town team. bc thats something that they need is the fans backing them up not cutting them down

hey rusted. man u need to take a step back and look at things man. just bc were playin teams that aren't great football teams doesn't mean were not gunna be ready. maybe the coaches are just trying to see how were gunna react to different defenses. and yea it's prolly to get some wins at the same time. but just bc were not playin dayton or someone like that doesn't mean were not goin to be ready for district. so u need to start takeing up for ur home town team. bc thats something that they need is the fans backing them up not cutting them down

Chill out 2010. Obviously you are full of zeal and gutso and are ready for the season. Good. Keep up that intensity. I don't know how often you frequent these boards, but I'm about one of the biggest Vidor supporters that there is on here, and I defend our players to the letter. Feel free to look up any of my past posts.

But if I see a dead horse, well, I'm gonna call it a dead horse. Plain and simple.

Ever since the days of Jeff having us play Gulf Shores I've hated his pre-district mentality. And don't tell me that playing Gulf Shores all those years prepared us for teams like Nederland and Central. That will get you laughed right off this board.

Why do we play these schools twice as small as us for pre-district? Is Jeff afraid of getting injuries before district? Hate to break this to you, but you can suffer an injury in a scrub scrimmage. We could play Hardin and the QB could get hit just right to end his season. Anything can happen. So, it has to be for some other reason than that.

Think what you want, but, in a perfect world, we wouldn't play pre-district games lower than 4A teams. Period.

A tougher schedule, win or lose will usually tell you what you need to work on if you want to win in district. dayton does this every year. we may not win in preseason but look out in district. i'd rather lose pre district and win in district. glad coach stewart gets the tough ones right off the bat. good luck everyone. " GO BRONCOS " that way you get all the kinks outand know where you're headed. i am a bronco faithful but was a vidor grad. in '68. good luck in your district pirates until we play you. lol

Guest pirates

OMG!!!

Let the kids play.  Do you think that any kid cares who they play? No.  This post was only started because of the Jeff haters, has nothing to do with schedules.  It is just another way to get by the coach bashing police.  I will say this again, Jeff is at Vidor as long as he likes and he is not going to be run off because of some dead head haters of him.  I mean this is the same dead head that said "I'm not supporting Turf on the field because it rewards Jeff" give me a break, turf is for the kids, the community and resolves some parking issues.

Where is the bashing police, do you job and get some of these haters of Mathews off here.

Easy there trigger.  There a lot of people on here that have no stake in Vidor football that are giving thier opinions. 

As far as my opinion, judging by their district performance, the weak schedule is not helping them much.

Easy there trigger.  There a lot of people on here that have no stake in Vidor football that are giving thier opinions. 

As far as my opinion, judging by their district performance, the weak schedule is not helping them much.

Who is Jeff?

Who is Jeff?

Jeff Matthews head coach and athletic director at Vidor

"Does playing Kelly, St. Thomas, and Hardin Jefferson get you ready for the big dogs in the district?"

History says...NO!

I would expect if Vidor was going to step down to play a 3A it would at least be WOS or Silsbee. And playing Kelly which amounts to a 2A enrollment is weeeeek. St. Thomas is not much better.

Who are the top four teams each year in local 4A?

Ned

Central

Lum

PNG

Now go look at who they play or have played pre-district. WB, Friendswood, Lamarque, Brehnam, Tx City, Crosby, PAM, Ball, Waller, BHill, all quality 4A or even 5A playoff programs and when they have dropped down and played 3A schools they played the top 3A's in the area in WOS and Silsbee.

By contrast go look at who Vidor and LCM play each year!

LCM doesn't have a little pre-district schedule. Texas City, Silsbee scrimmage, WOS, and even cleveland.

Go look at the past 10 years. Outside of WOS (which is only scheduled because of the crosstown rivalry), who has LCM played in real games, not scrimmages? By the way Cleveland is not a tuff schedule!

Vidor plays a soft schedule because it is all about the coach's ego. Kick tail in pre-district, learn nothing. Get your tail handed to you in district and go home. Same story different year.

i thought they scrimmage wos this year. i'm also a little confused about the getting their tail handed to them part. i thought they barely missed out on the playoffs. you should have watched a few games before matthews got here. at least they are competitive and have the ability to win any and all games. i look for them to do even better this year. they have way more depth than in years past and the young kids coming up are stronger, faster, and dedicated.

Vidor plays a soft schedule because it is all about the coach's ego. Kick tail in pre-district, learn nothing. Get your tail handed to you in district and go home. Same story different year.

You should have watched a few games before matthews got here. at least they are competitive and have the ability to win any and all games. i look for them to do even better this year.

This we agree upon. I am sure Mathews has his flaws as a coach, but he has stepped it up at Vidor. Which says alot about how bad the program was since they are still considered a bottom tier team in the district (current season excluded).

Guest pirates

Since Mathews has been at Vidor the team has lost 51 games (5 games a year average) this is district and non district.  Vidor opponents has scored 1472 points and Vidor has scored 758 points, that's a 714 point difference and with the 51 games that have been lost that puts an average of loosing each game by 14 points. Out of the 51 games lost, 25 games were lost by 10 points or less which translates into loosing 25 games by 5 points and only 6 games were what would be considered a blow out by 30 points or more.

I'm saying all this to bring up the point that Vidor, under Mathews have been very competitive and only in a few cases have Vidor been blown out of a game.  There is no way that a team can go into a game with Vidor and take the attitude that the game is going to be a push over.

You should have watched a few games before matthews got here. at least they are competitive and have the ability to win any and all games. i look for them to do even better this year.

This we agree upon. I am sure Mathews has his flaws as a coach, but he has stepped it up at Vidor. Which says alot about how bad the program was since they are still considered a bottom tier team in the district (current season excluded).

i don't agree with the bottom tier team in district quote. vidor is definitely in the middle of the pack working their way up. vidor's offense isn't an easy offense to perfect. the kids coming up now are kids that have been learning this system since 7th grade. when mathews first came to vidor, there was a struggle to shift offensive strategies and it showed. the kids that have been in this scheme for 4 or 5 years are going to show up this year and many years to come. if vidor isn't in the playoffs this year, i will be surprised.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder