Vidor's Preseason Dilemma.

Since Mathews has been at Vidor the team has lost 51 games (5 games a year average) this is district and non district.  Vidor opponents has scored 1472 points and Vidor has scored 758 points, that's a 714 point difference and with the 51 games that have been lost that puts an average of loosing each game by 14 points. Out of the 51 games lost, 25 games were lost by 10 points or less which translates into loosing 25 games by 5 points and only 6 games were what would be considered a blow out by 30 points or more.

I'm saying all this to bring up the point that Vidor, under Mathews have been very competitive and only in a few cases have Vidor been blown out of a game.  There is no way that a team can go into a game with Vidor and take the attitude that the game is going to be a push over.

good point...and good post..

In Vidor we don't care if anyone likes/approves of our coach or not.We like him and more importantly the KIDS love him...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all:  the question was simple.  Does playing Kelly, St. Thomas , and Hardin Jefferson prepare Vidor to win the district that has been predicted?  Looking for people's opinion.     

Since Mathews has been at Vidor the team has lost 51 games (5 games a year average) this is district and non district.  Vidor opponents has scored 1472 points and Vidor has scored 758 points, that's a 714 point difference and with the 51 games that have been lost that puts an average of loosing each game by 14 points. Out of the 51 games lost, 25 games were lost by 10 points or less which translates into loosing 25 games by 5 points and only 6 games were what would be considered a blow out by 30 points or more.

I'm saying all this to bring up the point that Vidor, under Mathews have been very competitive and only in a few cases have Vidor been blown out of a game.  There is no way that a team can go into a game with Vidor and take the attitude that the game is going to be a push over.

To all:  the question was simple.  Does playing Kelly, St. Thomas , and Hardin Jefferson prepare Vidor to win the district that has been predicted?  Looking for people's opinion.     

the answer is yes...playing football games prepares you to play football games. two of those games were set last year. they are scrimmaging wos soon. your team's reputation dictates which teams will or won't schedule a game with you, and most are reciprocating agreements. you can't force a team to play you.

i don't agree with the bottom tier team in district quote. vidor is definitely in the middle of the pack working their way up.

We have an 8 team district and four of the teams make the playoffs each year. How many times has Vidor made the playoffs?

Break down of the district the past 10 years (not sure how long Jeff has been there?) excluding Dayton and Livingston because they have been in and out.

Upper tier (2)

Nederland - Multiple playoffs, several DC's

Central - Multiple Playoffs several DC's

Middle tier (3)

PNG - Several playoffs and A DC

Lumberton - 2 playoffs and 2 DC's

Ozen - Several Playoffs (not sure about DC's).

Bottom Tier (2)

Vidor - No Playoffs, No DC's

LCM - No Playoffs, No DC's

Like it or not Vidor is a bottom tier program. This year may be different, but as of today, the facts speak for themselves.

And those bottom tier programs play cupcake non-ditrict schedules (scrimmages don't count). GO FIGURE.

Good points!

i don't agree with the bottom tier team in district quote. vidor is definitely in the middle of the pack working their way up.

We have an 8 team district and four of the teams make the playoffs each year. How many times has Vidor made the playoffs?

Break down of the district the past 10 years (not sure how long Jeff has been there?) excluding Dayton and Livingston because they have been in and out.

Upper tier (2)

Middle tier (3)

Bottom Tier (2)

Like it or not Vidor is a bottom tier program. This year may be different, but as of today, the facts speak for themselves.

And those bottom tier programs play cupcake non-ditrict schedules (scrimmages don't count). GO FIGURE.

Badndn, Before posting please have your facts straight.  Vidor has been to the playoffs in the past 10 years and has been responsible for keeping a couple of teams from the playoffs. Lower tier NO, middle tier YES.  Now I would agree that playing a soft preseason, could come back to haunt you at some point in the season.  But lets call it a dilemma after the season is over.  These schedules are made way in advance. 

One thing I would like to say is that it varies by team.  I used to follow LCM very closely and prior to the "Moody Era", LCM had never lost it's season opening game and finished the year with a winning record.  At some schools, it is important to play tough non-district competition.  At other places, you need to try and build confidence in the players, coaches, and fans which will hopefully translate into more victories down the road. I think you have to look at what works best for your school.

One thing I would like to say is that it varies by team.  I used to follow LCM very closely and prior to the "Moody Era", LCM had never lost it's season opening game and finished the year with a winning record.  At some schools, it is important to play tough non-district competition.  At other places, you need to try and build confidence in the players, coaches, and fans which will hopefully translate into more victories down the road. I think you have to look at what works best for your school.

Well said.

Upper tier (2)

Middle tier (3)

Bottom Tier (2)

Badndn, Before posting please have your facts straight.  Vidor has been to the playoffs in the past 10 years and has been responsible for keeping a couple of teams from the playoffs. Lower tier NO, middle tier YES.  Now I would agree that playing a soft preseason, could come back to haunt you at some point in the season.  But lets call it a dilemma after the season is over.  These schedules are made way in advance. 

Vidor went to the playoffs in 2000 , but were eliminated in the first round by Nederland.  Prior to that, it was 22 years ago when they went.  Before that,  another 14.  Schedules are made for two years at a time.

OK So Vidor went to the playoffs once in ten years. Still in the bottom two! That is the problem with some folks from Vidor, being competitive is good enough. Just because they give teams a run for their money each week doesn't make them a middle tier program. I will admit that in the past two seasons Vidor has been better than LCM and Ozen, but I am talking long haul since Mathews arrived.

I'd have to remind everyone that Vidor had to come back in the fourth quarter to beat Kelly last year.  You can decide what that means.

i think it means they won. vidor's offense is built to wear out the other team's defense over the course of the game. they play ball control grind it out on the ground football. the fourth qtr is usually when they try to take control of the game. sounds like the game went about as planned. you must also give some credit to kelly. they had a pretty good team last year and probably will this year too.

OK So Vidor went to the playoffs once in ten years. Still in the bottom two! That is the problem with some folks from Vidor, being competitive is good enough. Just because they give teams a run for their money each week doesn't make them a middle tier program. I will admit that in the past two seasons Vidor has been better than LCM and Ozen, but I am talking long haul since Mathews arrived.

this season doesn't matter about what happend 10 years ago. the kids 10 years ago are gone and have kids of their own. all that matters is the kids that are playing now. these kids have been on varsity since their sophomore year or most of them anyway. and last year we not only beat  lcm we also beat PNG, LUMBERTON. shouldn't have lost to ozen but we did. central beat us by just 1 point. we missed a 25 Yard field goal and had an extra point blocked. if we would've made the field goal we would've won.wouldn't of had the extra point blocked game would of went into over time and i think vidor would have took the ball and pounded down the Field with it and beat them. nederland and livingston were hard fought games but we couldn't come out with a win.this year their season will be a hole lot better.and will come out playing hard from start to finish.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder