whats going on at orangefield

What's done is done, and whether he was forced out or just left doesn't matter anymore.  Sad to say it, but it's part of coaching.  Any man, woman, family that signs on for that lifestyle has to realize it comes with the territory.

Do I think the timing could have been better?  Absolutely.  But you can't do anything about it now.  I would think for a new guy coming in it's ideal because he gets to bring all his staff in.

Sometimes it is better to get some new perspective in a program.  Those guys who have ties from orangefield are great young coaches, but it may be time for them to see what else is out there as well. 

It helps to keep a positive outlook on a situation such as this because at the end of the day you can't change any of it....just have to find the best fit you can.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt!  I have been saying open it up, and get some new blood in here.  I now live in the Oranefield school district and I think the situation the district is in regarding a HC/AD, 5 assistants, and 1 trainer in June is far from o.k.  Some of the names I have heard thrown around are people that have a connection to the district (former employees, or alumni), go out, spend the money and hire a guy with either head coaching experience, or someone who has been very successful coordinator (WT Johnston), or someone like him.  Go to a 4a or 5a school and get a someone who has proven to be successful and has a bright mind.  The problem I see is that Orangefield don't want to spend any money and until they do they will possibly have to "settle" on someone, and then lose him 4 years later, like its happened many times before.

No doubt!  I have been saying open it up, and get some new blood in here.  I now live in the Oranefield school district and I think the situation the district is in regarding a HC/AD, 5 assistants, and 1 trainer in June is far from o.k.  Some of the names I have heard thrown around are people that have a connection to the district (former employees, or alumni), go out, spend the money and hire a guy with either head coaching experience, or someone who has been very successful coordinator (WT Johnston), or someone like him.  Go to a 4a or 5a school and get a someone who has proven to be successful and has a bright mind.  The problem I see is that Orangefield don't want to spend any money and until they do they will possibly have to "settle" on someone, and then lose him 4 years later, like its happened many times before.

Coaching in 4a and 5a does not make you the most qualified.  A number of big school coaches do not do well in the small school setting.  Hire who you think best fits Orangefield. 

No doubt!  I have been saying open it up, and get some new blood in here.  I now live in the Oranefield school district and I think the situation the district is in regarding a HC/AD, 5 assistants, and 1 trainer in June is far from o.k.  Some of the names I have heard thrown around are people that have a connection to the district (former employees, or alumni), go out, spend the money and hire a guy with either head coaching experience, or someone who has been very successful coordinator (WT Johnston), or someone like him.  Go to a 4a or 5a school and get a someone who has proven to be successful and has a bright mind.   The problem I see is that Orangefield don't want to spend any money and until they do they will possibly have to "settle" on someone, and then lose him 4 years later, like its happened many times before.

Coaching in 4a and 5a does not make you the most qualified.  A number of big school coaches do not do well in the small school setting.  Hire who you think best fits Orangefield. 

Face reality as it is, not the way you WANT it to be.  A proven successfull 4A or 5A coach is not going to backtrack to 3A Orangefield.

The whole point of this happening so late is that Orangefield will probably have to "settle" for a coach.

Correct.  You are not going to get a 4a or 5a head coach, but if you get an opportunity to get a 4a or 5a coordinator that has been in a great program, and has learned under a great coach, and wants to become a head coach you might want to consider.  HC jobs are hard to come by, especially in June, and if you have a proven coordinator from a Lufkin, North Shore or the likes and he applies, you might get lucky. 

Correct.  You are not going to get a 4a or 5a head coach, but if you get an opportunity to get a 4a or 5a coordinator that has been in a great program, and has learned under a great coach, and wants to become a head coach you might want to consider.  HC jobs are hard to come by, especially in June, and if you have a proven coordinator from a Lufkin, North Shore or the likes and he applies, you might get lucky. 

So what 4A or 5A school are you an assistant at? LOL Just joking, just joking

Thanks for your support Dayton!!  I entertained the thought of being a coach and following in the footsteps of my dad and uncle, but snapped to it after the thought of babysitting kids all day in the classroom and being underpaid.  You have to have lots of patience and thick skin to be a teacher/coach, something I don't have.

There's a bunch of good ones out there, esp. some of the ones mentioned, hopefully Orangefield will antee up more money and get one.  I highly doubt Alverez will leave Kirbyville to come here, but there are two guys on his staff that would be great hires.  WT Johnston and Gary Vanya.  But I doubt they will get those guys to leave the lake area with what they pay.  Pay about 75K and they might consider.

I don't know if this is true but I've been told Orangefield likes to keep everything in the family (meaning they really want to hire people that went through the program, etc.) Does anyone know how true that is??? A lot of times it's best to not go back where you came from. Well heck...if all else fails just go find a Peveto somewhere out in the community and offer him the job.

Oh and if teachers were babysitters as you claimed...they would get paid a lot more. I mean let's just say $10 an hour per kid...you have 20 kids for 7 hours...$1400. Kids go to school 179 days a year so a teacher would make $250,600 a year. Hmmm...maybe they should be babysitters... :)

What about Harrell that use to be at LCM...I think he started his coaching career at Orangefield.

Smalley would be a good hire, kids loved him when he was here and we had some dang good offenses under him. Here's some more...

Walker at Crosby

Bolton

Rankin

Bickham at Vidor

What about Harrell that use to be at LCM...I think he started his coaching career at Orangefield.

Smalley would be a good hire, kids loved him when he was here and we had some dang good offenses under him. Here's some more...

Walker at Crosby

Bolton

Rankin

Bickham at Vidor

Some good ones!! Yes Smalley would be good!

Walker at Crosby

Bolton

Rankin

Bickham at Vidor

:-X :-X :-X

Walker at Crosby

Bolton

Rankin

Bickham at Vidor

This is the name I have heard from some close to the program.

Smalley would be in way over his head.  I like the guy, but dont think you give someone the job just because he has already coached in Orangefield and the kids liked him.  The guys is fairly young and inexperienced to be brought in in June, with the responsibility of hiring a complete staff, and running the entire athletic department.  It wouldn't surprise me if they did though.  Orangefield has a history of hiring people with no experience as a HC/AD, they have a history of hiring people with ties to the program (or alumni), and they have a history of paying piss poor for the position of HC/AD.  They like to pay cheap as possible and usually want a "yes" man to bow to the sup., and the school board.  Thats why they get inexperienced people, people who just want that first job.  And thats why they usually find themselves looking for a head coach every 4 years, because they look for greener pastures and more freedom to run the department they were hired to run without all the influence from the school board and other administrators.

Guest Wildcat 08

Whoever the man is this season is going to have a long year regardless. To late now in the year. Smalley would do as good as anyone named here.

I agree that anyone hired at this point will struggle in 09.  You also have to consider the guy running the entire program not just football.  But my point is go out and spend more money to hire someone who has established themselves as a successful head coach, or a highly successful coordinator.  Get someone proven.  They play a russian roulette everytime they hire because they have no idea what they are going to get.  Anahuac knew what they were getting when they hired Barbay.  Kirbyville knew they were getting a proven winner who won at West Sabing when they hired Alverez.  Orangefield has a long history of hiring people with no experience and Smalley would be the least experience of that list.

It would be nice to be able to take WT or Gary Vanya from yall for starters :).  They both are proven and would be much better hires, if Orangefield can pay enough to lure them away from the lakes. 

Orangefield is a great school district and a great place to live, and regardless of how late it is they can still sift through the applicants and find someone who is proven, or a great coordinator looking for that first HC job.  Kennedy ISD just hired their 4th head coach in 4 years.  They have lost 24 straight and won only 2 in 4 years.  They still had 51 applicants for the job.  Orangefield isn't near that aweful, and the amount of applicants for the Kennedy job should prove that there will be plenty of interest statewide for this job also.  It won't surprise me if they "settle" for someone they are familiar with, but I hope they get the best guy for the job regardless of where they are from.

man oh man,i feel so bad for the kids at orangefield.there ia alot of good kids returning on this years team and thay work very very hard to make the best out of this mess THAT SOMEONE at OF has shaddard these kids dreams aand thats such a shame dont you think. (THAT SOMEONE I HOPE THIS MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD) now go stand in front of these kids and say it was me that started this,i am sure that your proud of yourself------------------- YOU ARE A JURK

you coaches that look over this board ,COME ON and ring that phone at orangefield.you know its not a sin to drop from 4A to 3A is it guys.if you relly love the game of football and think you can handel this job come on and do it for the kids there that are looking for a leader someone thay can pride in(IS IT YOU) time is running out fast now dont let these kids down,thay need a leader someone that takes pride in themself and put the kids (FIRST)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin