**Morrison leaving Orangefield to become Coldspring assistant**

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not personal but you have to take a man for his word. He said he would make a decision Thursday and that is what happened.

I'm not the one who gloated about his source being right. My source was Morrison, the man who needed to accept, and he said it would be Thursday. Today is Thursday.

Derek Peveto maybe a good choice in a few years, but he is still young and inexperienced.  With the situation in Orangefield that would be like getting thrown to the wolves.  Its almost summer and someone will have 5 assistants and a trainer to hire.  That will be a tough situation to be in, learning on the run, or more like a dead sprint.  Open it up state wide and hire the best qualified person out there, not to someone just because they are an alumni or because the school board has a past with them.

Thank you WillieWonka!  I have been trying to say that for weeks on the Orangefield board.  That Orangefield don't have the athletes, then they get defensive and get their feelings hurt easy.  I know people don't want to hear that about their kids, but its true.  They are very quick to blame it on the coach, but don't realize them competing against Silsbee, WOS, and some of the others is like taking a knife to a gun fight.  A lot of these parents experienced success in the 80's under Peveto and Bush and expect the same thing.  The truth is is that the kids at Orangefield aren't the same as those kids were, neither are the times.  Peveto got had some good players, don't get me wrong, but he also had a great track program and had nearly everyone run track.  In return he got stronger kids, tougher kids mentally and physically, and also had parental support.  I have been saying for weeks, you can't have kids at a school the size of Orangefield being one-sport athletes, and you can't have football players playing summer baseball and AAU basketball all summer long, then get ready for football once August starts.  The kids coming into high school (8th graders) had two summer league games last night, on the last day of school.  From the start of basketball season in school they play all summer long together through July, which is about 10 months.  No wonder they are out muscled, and out physicalled most every game.  It starts with the commitment of the players, the priority they place on football,  and the work they put in it.  Go to Kirbyville, Silsbee, and WOS and see if their weightrooms will be full this summer. 

Here's a concept, maybe they like basketball. Maybe they are not trying to relive their glory days by complaining about a lack of committment.  By the way, 3 of those incoming fresh played 4 games last night including 2 varsity games.  They have the drive like that in all sports.  What else would you like for them to be doing on Friday night, playing Xbox?  I understand your need to bash the kids of OF but maybe you should look at it that they are working out and running all summer long.  We have been able able to motivate them to do it for basketball and baseball, why can't it be done in football? Grab your whistle and get started if you care so much.

Wildcatter, sorry the truth hurts.  If you get your feelings hurt that easily, that's a shame.  I have nothing against the kids at Orangefield.  If they all want to go straight basketball or baseball, I don't care.  But the people of the community and the parents don't need to bash the coaching saying they don't know what they are doing, when they don't have the athletes to work with, and have kids that are not physically strong enough or mentally tough enough because the time they spend all summer long on the hardwood and not the weight room.  The first thing people do is blame the coach.  Well, you know what, the parents need to take blame for not having their kids run track and spending more time in the weight room.  If you think that these kids are going to basketball practice and playing 4 to 6 games a week, then spending the time in the weight room to get stronger for football, you need to come back to reality.  You don't lift weights 3 days a week for 1 hour a day and get better.  You dont get faster by running up and down the basketball court and stealing 2nd.  You get faster by running track, going through the practices and competing in meets.

A coach who was very successful once told me that if you are coaching nothing but a bunch of white kids you better make sure they are really strong and really tough.  When you are outathleted and slower, then you better make up for it with physicality and mental toughness.  Its summer, basketball season is over, and football is right around the corner.  When Orangefield puts its importance on football, and get the kids to realize they need to put the hours into the weightroom, track, and 7 on 7, and get all their athletes to play football they will never win.  And until then all the parents like Wildcatter will continually blame the coaches for every loss.

Wildcatter, sorry the truth hurts.  If you get your feelings hurt that easily, that's a shame.  I have nothing against the kids at Orangefield.  If they all want to go straight basketball or baseball, I don't care.  But the people of the community and the parents don't need to bash the coaching saying they don't know what they are doing, when they don't have the athletes to work with, and have kids that are not physically strong enough or mentally tough enough because the time they spend all summer long on the hardwood and not the weight room.  The first thing people do is blame the coach.  Well, you know what, the parents need to take blame for not having their kids run track and spending more time in the weight room.  If you think that these kids are going to basketball practice and playing 4 to 6 games a week, then spending the time in the weight room to get stronger for football, you need to come back to reality.  You don't lift weights 3 days a week for 1 hour a day and get better.  You dont get faster by running up and down the basketball court and stealing 2nd.  You get faster by running track, going through the practices and competing in meets.

A coach who was very successful once told me that if you are coaching nothing but a bunch of white kids you better make sure they are really strong and really tough.  When you are outathleted and slower, then you better make up for it with physicality and mental toughness.  Its summer, basketball season is over, and football is right around the corner.  When Orangefield puts its importance on football, and get the kids to realize they need to put the hours into the weightroom, track, and 7 on 7, and get all their athletes to play football they will never win.  And until then all the parents like Wildcatter will continually blame the coaches for every loss.

Put in hours in the wt. room, track, 7 on 7?.....Sounds like your asking kids to go straight football?  How about we let each kid choose what he wants to do and get behind them when their sport of choice rolls around and be happy with whatever happens.  I enjoy winning as much as the next person, but allow each sport to be treated fair and be put on the same playing field as the other...Which sports at OF have been to the playoffs in the last 3 years?  It's time that the coaches of those sports know that their sport is just as important....

Actually, I have never blamed the coaches, school board, administration for the losses.  What I do say is that it is a coaches job to motivate.  You are not there to be liked by everyone your job is to coach and prepare kids for whatever the sport is.  Since these kids started playing their sports year round we have started going to the playoffs.  I do not look at it as a competition amongst different sports but a total program.  You see it as football is everything to everybody and I dont agree.  I have a son that plays football and he will be the first to tell you that even with their time in the weight room they were not pushed as hard as they could have been.  That ultimately falls upon whoever is leading the program.  They get the pat on the back when it is good and the negative when they are not winning. 

Guest bleed orange

Please explain to me why we don't have athletes. Because I know we do, we just don't have numbers. Since you guys are the experts please enlighten me. I know what you are saying but I want to hear it on a public forum. I am ready to address this issue. Go for it. I am!!!!!!!!! Let me give you a hint, please say it is race related.

the point is if you are going to play football then prepare for the season.....it you want to be year round baseball or basketball then dont play football.....if you want to play all three then prepare for the season you are about to enter....if you are not committed to working hard for each sport then dont play ever sport...it is not fair for the other team members that prepare hard for the upcomung season

Please explain to me why we don't have athletes. Because I know we do, we just don't have numbers. Since you guys are the experts please enlighten me. I know what you are saying but I want to hear it on a public forum. I am ready to address this issue. Go for it. I am!!!!!!!!! Let me give you a hint, please say it is race related.

you cant always blame it on numbers.....there are plenty of teams with low numbers in each classification that win  with small numbers

Guest bleed orange

you cant always blame it on numbers.....there are plenty of teams with low numbers in each classification that win  with small numbers

You are right it is not always about numbers. But it is not always about race either. People seem to bring that up in not so many words. I am not scared to talk about it, most people are. My point again is, why do people assume Orangefield does not have athletes. Again, please enlighten me. I am clueless to this assumption.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder