Saveat finally named Ozen HC

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigersvoice

uhhh.....mr. short........before you completely let all the air out of your puffed up chest after that post........Silsbee won the Region III championship in 2008 and has been in the regional tournament 4 of the last 5 years......and was a regular in the 4A playoffs and in the 4A regional championship not too long before that (we all remember that game at the Montagne right?)  In fact, WB has not sniffed a regional tournament since Coleman left.....so when you describe a program with regional championships and regional tournaments.....sounds a lot more like Silsbee than it does WB

Thank you Nos for correcting short.

Know your facts before opening one's mouth.

Facts, opinions, propaganda, blah, blah, blah... Freedom of speech lil' dude (even when wrong).  Silsbee has been a program for how many years to claim that one regional championship?  WB has been in the mix only since '82...  Brook will have there chances just like Silsbee has had theres.  Westbook has had more talent than Silsbee and alot of talent is still there!  It will only take a coach to put that situation together, the same way Boutte did with Ozen (with Brook's talent).  Also, of course Simon allows his asst. coaches to help coach football, Simon is a football guy.  He originally applied for that job before the basketball position was open.  Outside of the Louis Arlin and Thadeous Holden years Silsbee hasnt come close to the overall talent that can be found at Westbrook.  Except this year when Brook only had Lopez and Whittington and that team could have been better too, if the right coach was there.  Again thank you for the correction I always tend to think in the past when I think of GREAT Silsbee teams!  

Well, there you go Short!  You'd make a great Pelosi staffer since you have no use for facts when trying to make your case.  I do agree with the last part of your post where you admit that you think in the past.  While you are back there, musing over all that West Brook talent, see if you can come up with the last regional or state championship that West Brook came up with.  Oh, that's right - you don't need facts, just propaganda to support your opinion.  If you throw it out there and nobody challenges then IT MUST BE TRUE.  Jeeez.

Guest spinks

Short.........seriously.........you sound so convicted yet you use no stats.  Your opinions are your opinions and I respect them but you are not supporting any of them with facts!  Even poorly coached teams win if they are as talented as you say.  Trust me...........I was a part of one at HJ that was #1 in the state all year long and lost in the regional semis due to inexperienced coaching.  So I will maintain that if WB is as talented as you guys maintain they would be winning anyway.  I love coaches but you can give the greatest coach no talent and the worst coach no talent and the team with the talent is going to win 7 times out of 10.  A great coach..........or as you would say "couch" can only do so much!

I am always good for an arguement!!!! 

Yeah you have to have some kind of talent to win, but a great coach will turn a good team (with talent) into a great one.  Coaching is the difference between winning games and and being a real contender in the playoffs.  Talent disparitry is so large in high school that any team with a little talent can put together a winning program. But a great coach can make that winning program into a championship program as Boutte did with Ozen. 

That GOOD team is what Westbrook has been, even though recent years have been down they still have winning records.  But they rarely miss the playoffs, even when great teams like Kingwood, Westfield, Northsore, (98',99','00)Central, Humble, etc. have been in their district.

Guest spinks

I am always good for an arguement!!!! 

Yeah you have to have some kind of talent to win, but a great coach will turn a good team (with talent) into a great one.  Coaching is the difference between winning games and and being a real contender in the playoffs.  Talent disparitry is so large in high school that any team with a little talent can put together a winning program. But a great coach can make that winning program into a championship program as Boutte did with Ozen. 

That GOOD team is what Westbrook has been, even though recent years have been down they still have winning records.  But they rarely miss the playoffs, even when great teams like Kingwood, Westfield, Northsore, (98',99','00)Central, Humble, etc. have been in their district.

You guys are talking about Boutte turning Ozen into something as if they had no talent??????  Dont get me wrong I love Boutte as a coach but come on he had more talent in his time there than any other coach in this area has ever had.

Guest spinks

I call Bull S!!!

Ok call it............I would like you to disagree and tell me that during Boutte's stint at ozen that there was another team in this area with more talent..............I dont think anyone else from that era has a player currently in the NBA............correct?

Guest nostradamus

A super smart, super wonderful, very wise, and absolutely my favorite college teacher EVER told me once:

"If you ain't got the horses, you won't win the race."

-John Payton

Coaching matters but, in high school ball the gene pool determines a lot of it.

Guest spinks

Got real quiet, real fast Coop... ;)

Could not agree more that each of those schools that TODD(I know you think you were going to touch a soft spot there.....you guys always moan about threads being turned in to HJ threads yet Mr. Admin himself just did it) was at had talent.  That is not what this is about.  I will be the first to tell you that I dont think Coach Sutherland could go in to WB and turn it around just as simply as you guys speak of!  And let's not make this about Boutte not being a great coach because he is and I have ALWAYS said that.......but you guys make it sound like only Boutte could have done what he did at Ozen and that if he walked in the doors and played with the same kids currently at West Brook they would win a state championship.  SORRY............IT IS NOT THAT SIMPLE!!!!!

Guest nostradamus

Regarding WB....here is the problem....weren't 2 of their top 3 players on the basketball court also football players??  First, let me clarify....crossover athletes are great.  Heck, half our team at HJ plays multiple sports......BUT.....when you look at the people that WB has to compete against in order to just make the playoffs they are fighting an uphill battle.  While the Kingwoods of the world are in the gym June-October prepping for the season, WB's top players are on the football field.  That doesn't hurt a team at the 3A level because most every 3A school is dealing with sharing athletes.....but in a school of 2K+ and competing against schools at or above 3K......those schools don't have kids that play 2 and 3 sports.  I am not saying it is right or wrong.....but it is the facts.  This goes back to what I said the other day about WB being a top 5 job.  They have 80 kids in a basketball class with 1 coach and their best basketball players are on the football field all except 4 months out of the year.  You can't win big at the 5A level with that kind of situation.  At the 5A level, only the truly special athletes can do multiple sports exceptionally well enough to have an impact on that team (Eric Winston-Midland Lee, Bobby Taylor-Longview HS).  WB is operating like a 3A and under campus but, trying to compete at the 5A level and that doesn't bode well for their basketball program NO MATTER WHO THE COACH IS.

Regarding WB....here is the problem....weren't 2 of their top 3 players on the basketball court also football players??  First, let me clarify....crossover athletes are great.  Heck, half our team at HJ plays multiple sports......BUT.....when you look at the people that WB has to compete against in order to just make the playoffs they are fighting an uphill battle.  While the Kingwoods of the world are in the gym June-October prepping for the season, WB's top players are on the football field.  That doesn't hurt a team at the 3A level because most every 3A school is dealing with sharing athletes.....but in a school of 2K+ and competing against schools at or above 3K......those schools don't have kids that play 2 and 3 sports.  I am not saying it is right or wrong.....but it is the facts.  This goes back to what I said the other day about WB being a top 5 job.  They have 80 kids in a basketball class with 1 coach and their best basketball players are on the football field all except 4 months out of the year.  You can't win big at the 5A level with that kind of situation.  At the 5A level, only the truly special athletes can do multiple sports exceptionally well enough to have an impact on that team (Eric Winston-Midland Lee, Bobby Taylor-Longview HS).  WB is operating like a 3A and under campus but, trying to compete at the 5A level and that doesn't bode well for their basketball program NO MATTER WHO THE COACH IS.

This makes sense. Basketball is a game of brains and repetition.Football is a physical sport; run pass,& run. Summer is for getting better in basketball, not football

uhhh.....mr. short........before you completely let all the air out of your puffed up chest after that post........Silsbee won the Region III championship in 2008 and has been in the regional tournament 4 of the last 5 years......and was a regular in the 4A playoffs and in the 4A regional championship not too long before that (we all remember that game at the Montagne right?)  In fact, WB has not sniffed a regional tournament since Coleman left.....so when you describe a program with regional championships and regional tournaments.....sounds a lot more like Silsbee than it does WB

Thank you Nos for correcting short.

Know your facts before opening one's mouth.

Facts, opinions, propaganda, blah, blah, blah... Freedom of speech lil' dude (even when wrong).  Silsbee has been a program for how many years to claim that one regional championship?  WB has been in the mix only since '82...  Brook will have there chances just like Silsbee has had theres.  Westbook has had more talent than Silsbee and alot of talent is still there!  It will only take a coach to put that situation together, the same way Boutte did with Ozen (with Brook's talent).  Also, of course Simon allows his asst. coaches to help coach football, Simon is a football guy.  He originally applied for that job before the basketball position was open.  Outside of the Louis Arlin and Thadeous Holden years Silsbee hasnt come close to the overall talent that can be found at Westbrook.  Except this year when Brook only had Lopez and Whittington and that team could have been better too, if the right coach was there.  Again thank you for the correction I always tend to think in the past when I think of GREAT Silsbee teams!  

See, there you go again Short opening your mouth without knowing the facts. Silsbee has claimed 5 regional championships, not 1. They have also been to 8 other regional finals. West Brook has yet to make a regional final. Also, we have had more than just Holden and Arline as far as talent goes. McDonalds All-American Darryl McArthur and at least 25 other all-state players has come through Silsbee's basketball program.

You want to give WB the benefit that they have only been in existance since 1982. Well, we can compare programs since that year and Silsbee still has accomplished more since that year. It's really no comparison. Only thing I might could agree with you on is that West Brook may have more potential, but we know where that can leave you.

Guest DickVitale

I just can't believe that there are people on here actually think that there was so much talent at Ozen that all Boutte had to do was walk in and toss a whistle around his neck and win...That is NOT the case..Work HAD to be put in with developing kids and building program. Nos, it CAN be done at Westbrook...It CANNOT be done by just anybody..There are a small handful of coaches that have the know how, experience, and ability to do such a thing in a situation like WB...Honestly Spinks, I do not think that I could have done what Boutte did at that time based on experience alone..I learned so much while coaching under him, but, to say that I could have done what he did there is a stretch. What he did at Ozen WAS special, no matter how much you guys on here want to minimize it.  He could have done it at Westbrook too...He is at the top of the short list who could.

Guest nostradamus

WB has been to a regional final under Coleman....a couple of times I think

DV, Roy Williams couldn't do it at WB under the current circumstances.....and only the administration can decide whether or not they are willing to make it where WB can be more successful.

Guest DickVitale

So I guess there is no football at Ozen, right? When Saveat was on staff with us, HE coached football, and so did coach Gunner...I did not, because my second sport was track back then. We had some varsity guys that came off of the football field, but the difference is we built around the basketball players so that the football guys would be an addition and not a necessity. It was like one a year, but that was the climate that was built around there. Westbrook has more than enough athletes to do the same. And Believe me, ROY WILLIAMS could have done it too. Bottom line is that if any coach that knows better would take a Silsbee over a Westbrook, they would not be very bright in doing so.

Guest spinks

So I guess there is no football at Ozen, right? When Saveat was on staff with us, HE coached football, and so did coach Gunner...I did not, because my second sport was track back then. We had some varsity guys that came off of the football field, but the difference is we built around the basketball players so that the football guys would be an addition and not a necessity. It was like one a year, but that was the climate that was built around there. Westbrook has more than enough athletes to do the same. And Believe me, ROY WILLIAMS could have done it too. Bottom line is that if any coach that knows better would take a Silsbee over a Westbrook, they would not be very bright in doing so.

Why do YOU think we are minimizing what Boutte did at Ozen.  I have never said anything but how great the guy is.  Do you need me to do anything else. Geeeeeeeeeeeeze!!! I will agree to disagree...........both opinions are valid but I disagree with you as you do me.  That is fine!

look it's really pretty simple..Ozen was set up to win...So was Westbrook, back then...Now it is set up to lose...Why? 5a, one coach in program, with 80 kids, No facilities, competeing with the school across town for players, which is a magnet and now has some momentum in basketball. One day a kid will be there, the next he's headed to yep you got it..ozen meanwhile sits and waits , the numbers are eyeballed to stay in the 4a range, has no boudaries, has some recent success, and the other sports there are, i guess you could say " still learning"...Really not a bad idea by BISD, when this all was arranged for Ozen, but if you were at Central or Westbrook, well I guess the tide kinda turned, and was flowing toward the pear orchard!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu