Saveat finally named Ozen HC

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nostradamus
Nos, I will put it like this...There is NO WAY you could poll 10 coaches that KNOW the WB area, and they say that in SE Texas they would take the Silsbee job before WB....Listen, its like opting to take the Kentucky Weslayan job (D-II powerhouse) over the Texas job....Although UT has not won a title, they have what it TAKES to get one at the highest level...I am sure Kentucky Weslayan is a great job, but it can't compare to being the head coach at Texas....Same concept here. I know about the coaching situation there, but with the right staff in place that all changes...

Spinks, I know you hate BISD and all, but they pay more than Silsbee, and if they ever DO get it right and start winning the fan base will come back...guarantee it...WB USED to be right at the door EVERY year...Its a good job, man...Like I told Nos, if you poll some coaches that know about the specifics, they will say the same....BTW I think Silsbee is a great job, too....Just would not take Silsbee over WB if both were offered.

Nos, what do YOU think the criteria should be for a good job... ...You think HJ is a better job than Ozen according to YOUR criteria?

So basically you are saying that one job is better than another because one is 5A and one is 3A??  Comparing to college is like apples to oranges......in college you go get your players......you don't in high school.  In college you don't share athletes and run a year around program.......not always true in high school.  I know tons of 3A jobs that are a million miles better than 5A jobs.  I also want to know if you are implying that winning a 5A state championship is more relevant or more of and accomplishment than winning a 3A state championship?

I have a very close relationship with two of the more successfull coaches that have been at West Brook.  They fought the same battles  when they were there as the current coaching staff is.  You mean to tell me that the top assistant having to leave a basketball tournament early to go to a football playoff game is a top 5 coaching situation?

As for the money it is not as much better as you think and the money has to do with the tax base and nothing to do with the coaching assignment or the status of the job.  BISD does pay well to young teachers.  It is a ploy to lure in new teachers.  However, if you look at their pay scale as the years go on you'll see that the longer you are there the more the pay levels out.  The coaching stipends at BISD are barely competitive with some local small school situations.  I had a friend of mine that was a coach in BISD and he called me to see what our coaching stipends were because he was doing research to take to the BISD school board regarding how much lower their stipends are compared to area schools....and lets just say he was impressed at what this tiny little 3A school pays.

By the way, I just found out that next year, as an ASSISTANT coach, I will be taken out of one of my classroom classes and be put in the 7th grade basketbaall off-season class all year long.  That means as a 3A ASSSISTANT coach, I coach no football, I coach only two sports.  I am in 7th grade basketball, vaarsity basketball, and 9th grade basketball all year long....along with the head coach.  I haave instant access to almost every coach in the state of Texas that coaches basketball.....through another web site.  I can poll them if you would like and ask how many of them love to have the situation that we have here.  Go ask Ron Jackson what is a better coaching job.....HJ or WB?  See what he says.

Guest DickVitale

Ohhhh, now I see....Once again its about Hardin Jefferson...HJ has a fantastic basketball program...Great facilities, great pay, great kids...OK...I did not know that Chris or Coach B had any issues like that when they were there...Its not about which classification has the most important state championship either...It is just MY belief that a Great 5A job is better than a Great 3A job...Just MY OPINION...However, I also believe that a GREAT 3A job is better than an average 5A spot too, I am no fool! MY point was that at WB THEY HAVE THE KIDS to win big there...They really do...Money is NEVER an issue over there as it was not at Ozen for us either...As far as them having crazy football assignments, I can't speak on that, because I dont know why that is that way, BUT...If Boutte or Todd were there now, do you REALLY think that it would be that way? I doubt it. Maybe at this point HJ is a better job, NOW, maybe, but I know its a better job than Silsbee outside of facilities...Thats my opinion.

When Simon leaves do you think Ron would stay and take the job or go to Silsbee if it were open?...Just a question.

Guest DickVitale

This is an intelligent debate between coaches....When we want to talk flooring, we will get to you...That was so uncalled for Lazeek....dang. :(  I was not insulting anyone, we were just having a discussion and you have to butt in saying something stupid...What was the problem with us talking about that....Its just conversation...Nobody is cutting anyone, except you...Go sell some floors, dude.

Guest nostradamus

So you are basing the WB job on "potential"?  "if" this and "if" that......they didn't change those things for Coleman or Breithaupt.....why would they change it for someone else?

What you finally admitted to has been my contention all along......it depends on your criteria......and IMO what you listed as criteria don't determine what is a great job.......now you are changing to "a great 5A job is better than a great 3A job"......well of course it is........if all factors are the same then one has more students to choose from, has more staff available, and will likely have more money because there are more students which means a larger tax base..........however, that was not your original contention.

And asking if RJ would stay or go to Silsbee is pointless also........because he is already at one of the schools involved.  Why would any coach make a transition when they already know all the kids and the situation......

Guest DickVitale

So you are basing the WB job on "potential"?  "if" this and "if" that......they didn't change those things for Coleman or Breithaupt.....why would they change it for someone else?

What you finally admitted to has been my contention all along......it depends on your criteria......and IMO what you listed as criteria don't determine what is a great job.......now you are changing to "a great 5A job is better than a great 3A job"......well of course it is........if all factors are the same then one has more students to choose from, has more staff available, and will likely have more money because there are more students which means a larger tax base..........however, that was not your original contention.

And asking if RJ would stay or go to Silsbee is pointless also........because he is already at one of the schools involved.  Why would any coach make a transition when they already know all the kids and the situation......

Well then we agree....If Boutte was to be the coach at WB, I GUARANTEE it would not be that way...GUARANTEED...Guess it depends on the personnel. Coleman had PLAYERS at WB and they won a lot when he was there, just could not get out of the tough region...So did Breithaupt..No denying that. IMO its one of the better jobs in that area.

Lazeek, how can you conclude that my opinion to means that my way is better? Makes no sense... ???

Guest nostradamus

What makes you think Boutte could get that situation changed when Breithaupt and Coleman couldn't?  That's a lot of "ifs" and "butts" to happen before it becomes a good job.  They are fighting a HUGE uphill battle over there......they are no where close to competing with even HJ in how basketball is treated.

Bluedove,

Travis was not forced to pull out of the Ozen job.

What makes you think Boutte could get that situation changed when Breithaupt and Coleman couldn't?  That's a lot of "ifs" and "butts" to happen before it becomes a good job.  They are fighting a HUGE uphill battle over there......they are no where close to competing with even HJ in how basketball is treated.

Bluedove,

Correct. Travis saw the writing on the wall and chose to pull out. Ozen is a great job, one that Travis would love to have, but BISD handled this very poorly and unprofessional and that rubbed Travis the wrong way.

Guest DickVitale

Bluedove,

Soooooo, why was basketball KING at Ozen? Same school district, and NONE of those issues...... ::) ::) Boutte could have gotten what he wanted if he were at WB too.

Guest DickVitale

No I am talking about WHY Westbrook COULD be a great job in SE Texas...It has EVERYTHING to do with who is at the healm...You know that. Once again, HOW did Ozen rise from the ashes and win Beaumont's frist state title since 1983, when Hebert did it...The SAME kids were in place...Same district...What was the difference?

No I am talking about WHY Westbrook COULD be a great job in SE Texas...It has EVERYTHING to do with who is at the healm...You know that. Once again, HOW did Ozen rise from the ashes and win Beaumont's frist state title since 1983, when Hebert did it...The SAME kids were in place...Same district...What was the difference?

1982, DV. Hebert won 3 titles, '80,'81,'82.

Guest nostradamus

Okay....let me make sure I am following you.....you started out listing the top 5 jobs in SE Texas....now you are listing why WB "could be" one of the top 5 jobs in SE Texas?  

Surely you are not foolish enough to believe that who the head coach is is the ONLY reason a school has a great set-up for basketball.

Ozen "rise from the ashes"??? Seriously???  That school was set to excel before it ever opened and EVERYONE in SE Texas knows that (and that is no knock on Boutte's coaching ability)

I can tell you right now.......our situation is GREAT because of our administration and our administration only!!  They take care of us!!!  

Thanks AAW, my bad....You DO know what my point was though don't you?

I am going to have to go along with Nos on this one DV. Sorry.

West Brook is a football first school, always has been, always will be, regardless who is coaching there. Now, if they were to start winning regional and state championships there, you probably would see a change in how the admin do things around there. But until then, things will remain the same.

Also, even though I think that Boutte is a great coach, I am not so sure he could change things at West Brook that Chris and Charles could not do.

I agree with Nos, Ozen was setup to succeed. There were no ashes to rise up from.

Guest DickVitale

Set to excel? It was a NEW HIGH SCHOOL...How can anyone set Ozen to excel? Thats an excuse...Why weren't they "set to excel" in football too? In SE Texas, AFTER Ozen and Memorial, the next best job to have is Westbrook...THEN you guys at HJ....IMO.  That constitutes WB as being "one of the best" IN THAT AREA... ::)...When you have a great pool of athletes, and apparently an upper administartion that supports athletics, since you feel that they "set Ozen up" obviously they are somewhat sports minded, what else is there? The Staff...Which starts with the head coach. YOUR situation is great because YOUR HEAD COACH, along with you guys staff has maintained a solid program there. Would they support you guys if you were not as successful throughout the years? Maybe, but not as much.

YES COOP...Westbrook DOES need a new gym, too....Ozen got one...After winning a state title...If Westbrook could ever live up to their potential as a basketball program, they would see the results, and a new gym floor would have been inevitable...Probably even built a new facility because it is desperately needed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu