**Swine flu prompts UIL to postpone all athletic & academic competitions**

The following info was excerpted from the Beaumont Enterprise online....Senators questioned Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano about her decision not to close the border, action she said "has not been merited by the facts."

We can close schools, cancel athletic events, quarrantine people, but God forbid we should close the darned border!!!!!  Everyone is saying the disease originated in Mexico yet we can't close the borders to keep them from bringing it into our country anymore than it already is.  What's wrong with this picture?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following info was excerpted from the Beaumont Enterprise online....Senators questioned Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano about her decision not to close the border, action she said "has not been merited by the facts."

We can close schools, cancel athletic events, quarrantine people, but God forbid we should close the darned border!!!!!  Everyone is saying the disease originated in Mexico yet we can't close the borders to keep them from bringing it into our country anymore than it already is.  What's wrong with this picture?

I said the same thing yesterday, seems we want to keep our record of never closing the border intact. Now can anyone tell me are the S.A.T.'S still on for Saturday?

someone ask obama the same question at his press conference just a minute ago.

response> it's too late the virus is already here.

someone ask obama the same question at his press conference just a minute ago.

response> it's too late the virus is already here.

But is there no logic in that we can prevent further infection by the masses?  I fail to see the common sense these days in some of our so-called leaders.

I wish some of you would gain some perspective about all this.  I do realize that this is a sports forum and therefore opinions about how this affects your high school sports abound.

However, from someone who lives right smack in the middle of the affected area, please know that while it may seem sensationalized and "inappropriate,"  at the end of the day I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Athletic events do not come before the health of our children, in my opinion.  

Just so you know, our news just reported that Fort Worth ISD is closed until May 8th due to probable outbreaks.  Count yourselves fortunate that at this point you don't have any acute cases.

I wish some of you would gain some perspective about all this.  I do realize that this is a sports forum and therefore opinions about how this affects your high school sports abound.

However, from someone who lives right smack in the middle of the affected area, please know that while it may seem sensationalized and "inappropriate,"  at the end of the day I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Athletic events do not come before the health of our children, in my opinion.  

Just so you know, our news just reported that Fort Worth ISD is closed until May 8th due to probable outbreaks.  Count yourselves fortunate that at this point you don't have any acute cases.

Good Post.

Whereas I empathize with you for your location and the situation that faces you there, my "perspective" is that I question some of the logic that our so-called leaders seem to have.  Re:  my last post regarding closing the borders...how does THAT not make sense to you?  I don't think that athletic events are more important that citizens' health, but come on.....you can get just as affected (if not more) by going to Wal-Mart, and they don't seem to have closed the stores.  I realize they have to start somewhere, but unless you just shut everybody up in their own homes with no communication to anyone else, you are NOT going to stop the virus from spreading.  (And then they give us a date that it's all going to be over with....May 11!)  Mark your calendars sports fans.  The virus will be wiped out by May 11. 

I agree with repayne....is the darn thing going to be cured by May 11?  How do you put a date on it?  How ridiculous UIL looks at this point!!!!!  And why not cancel school entirely, instead of just games, meets, etc.?  I know they've cancelled some schools in SA, but good gracious, what's going to happen when it spreads to the other schools by May 11 and SA schools are all cured?  Just clearly inappropriate in my opinion.

I totally agree regarding your opinion on the borders, and I'm not going to get into an argument regarding differing opinions about the UIL.  But in this post I quoted, you said the UIL looks ridiculous.  This is an unprecedented situation, and I feel they are acting in our childrens' best interests.  That's really all we can ask.  Will it be cured by May 11?  I think not, but it at least gives them time to monitor the situation and adjust their plans accordingly.  I truly think they are doing the best they can with the information that they have. 

stangchain, I also agree to close the borders. That makes sense. But when do we make the 'effort' to stop the spread of this virus? When it hits Houston, how about Winnie....maybe Port Arthur? Interrupting sports events isn't going to bother anyone that much.

My company vaccinates all its employees every year against the flu. Is that overreacting? Nope, just being cautious. We have to start somewhere.

May 11th....I agree that is a stretch.

With DFW closing schools and as I've been reading on other boards across Texas that practices are now being closed, I believe we are being set up for a full cancellation of spring sports.

Out of curiosity, I am wondering what good it will do to stop sports.I guess they can still go to classes and be stuffed into rooms with 20 other people but they can't go outside into the open air and play games?

It seems like if it is so bad that a baseball game is dangerous, then school should be out of the question. I am not a doctor but it seems like I would rather pitch a ball to you and see if you can hit it and run the bases and take my chances there rather than sit two feet away from you for a couple of hours in a closed room.

If it gets so bad that they need to shut down schools then do it. Cancelling games while 98% of students are still in class is ridiculous.

With DFW closing schools and as I've been reading on other boards across Texas that practices are now being closed, I believe we are being set up for a full cancellation of spring sports.

Out of curiosity, I am wondering what good it will do to stop sports.I guess they can still go to classes and be stuffed into rooms with 20 other people but they can't go outside into the open air and play games?

It seems like if it is so bad that a baseball game is dangerous, then school should be out of the question. I am not a doctor but it seems like I would rather pitch a ball to you and see if you can hit it and run the bases and take my chances there rather than sit two feet away from you for a couple of hours in a closed room.

If it gets so bad that they need to shut down schools then do it. Cancelling games while 98% of students are still in class is ridiculous.

teams are squawking with good reason that it's not fair you have closed our practices when our opponent hasn't and we are scheduled to play them.

Yeah, obviously sports is not important when you are comparing it to someone's life.

What reason for no sports though? So someone's kid doesn't go out into the open air and play some kind of ball but sits for eight hours in a class room full of people with no windows?

Uh huh, that makes sense. Sorry but I would rather take my chance on a baseball diamond for eight hours rather than sitting in a classroom. Think of this, those kids that aren't practicing or playing, are they cancelling their PE classes? If they don't go outside and practice for that period at school, what are they doing that is "safer" than going out into the open air?

Sorry but I haven't seen anything or heard any explanation that makes me believe that you are less likely to sit in class and be more immune than running down a lane on the track or going over the bar in a pole vault. For some reason, I don't think anyone will be able to give one either.

And to adminbaberuth, I will agree with your statement and have already said so earlier today. I said that the UIL might be doing this to give some teams an out by not having to forfeit when their school cancels practice or games and the other school doesn't.

I guarantee that if one our little Johnny's contracted is virus and just happens to begin showing s/s by next week, people would be complaining because it could have been prevented. 

As far as the "so-called leaders"...I love sports and was looking forward to Regionals this weekend too, but I think that they are doing the best that they can.  Regardless if the deceased baby was from Mexico or the Golden Triangle, the fact is if postponing events for a little while has the opportunity to save a child, parents, teacher, coach, fan...then it's well worth it. 

I guarantee that if one our little Johnny's contracted is virus and just happens to begin showing s/s by next week, people would be complaining because it could have been prevented. 

As far as the "so-called leaders"...I love sports and was looking forward to Regionals this weekend too, but I think that they are doing the best that they can.  Regardless if the deceased baby was from Mexico or the Golden Triangle, the fact is if postponing events for a little while has the opportunity to save a child, parents, teacher, coach, fan...then it's well worth it. 

Another good post.

Could n ot sleep tonight so here is some newer flu stuff.

A pair of Houston ISD schools were ordered closed late last night/ early this morning and will be closed until they verify a pair of probable cases.

This is the hidden content, please

Also Houston's Episcopal High was shutdown until May 4th at least.

Galveston area asking sick to stay away at school and closing parks.

Also New Orleans!

School closures

At least 14 Texas districts have closed all or some schools because of swine flu concerns. The closures affect more than 133,000 Texas students. In addition, many have canceled out-of-district field trips and competitions.

• The Austin school district has closed the Read pre-kindergarten campus and canceled out-of-district trips until May 11.

• The Cleburne, Comal, New Braunfels, Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City and Rio Grande City districts have closed all campuses until at least May 4.

• Fort Worth Independent School District officials announced Wednesday night that the district would close through at least May 8. The district has about 80,000 students in 140 schools.

• The Golden Rule, Children of the Sun and Universal Academy charter schools and the Richardson, Lewisville, Fort Worth and Richardson districts have closed one or more campuses until at least May 4.

• Kirby Hall School, a private pre-kindergarten through 12th-grade school with about 150 students in Austin, will be closed until Monday as a precaution.

• The University Interscholastic League has postponed all public high school athletic and academic competitions, including the Academic State Meet, one-act play competition and regional track meets, until May 11.

• The Bastrop school district has canceled all out-of-district travel, including field trips, until further notice.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder