Is Spring football REALLY necessary?

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

Seriously. Are football coaches THAT eager to strap the kids up and see some contact before the marathon fall season begins? They have 7 on 7 in the summer (which was only created to counter basketball AAU, by the way, but thats another topic for another day) What GOOD does spring football do for high school programs? Really.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good for teams with young players to see where they all fall into place. I wouldn't want to start and take more time in Aug. with a young team to find out who's going to play where etc...Personally if i were a coach i wouldn't do Spring though, i would want to start on time in Aug.

Guest DickVitale

Thats my point Coop. I would think that coaches would just get a early jump in August where they can continue to teach before the season begins, then keep going. That seems so much smarter to me. What do some of you guys think?

Thats my point Coop. I would think that coaches would just get a early jump in August where they can continue to teach before the season begins, then keep going. That seems so much smarter to me. What do some of you guys think?

If the football coach thinks it will help then more power to him

Guest DickVitale

Well, football coaches ARE THE most paranoid people on the planet!!!!! Superstitious too!!! :D :D They think the smallest detail can cost them a ball game...I mean small things like the helmet stickers were crooked, small detail!!!!!! :D

Well, football coaches ARE THE most paranoid people on the planet!!!!! Superstitious too!!! :D :D They think the smallest detail can cost them a ball game...I mean small things like the helmet stickers were crooked, small detail!!!!!! :D

What in the world are you talking about??????

Guest DickVitale

You know how football coaches pay so close attention to things that really don't matter....Its not a knock on them, its just funny how paranoid they are! At least all of the ones that I have been around were like that, except one. Arthur Louis, when he was at Ozen was probably the exception to that rule...Always as cool as the other side of the pillow! ;)......OK enough of that, back to the topic.....Why spring football?

Guest DickVitale

Well having been around this coaching business a long time, I know that kids improve so much from year to year. A kid's junior year and senior year can literally be like night and day...what happened to lifting weights to get stronger, 7 on 7 to develop skill, and to be honest, letting kids get in the gym and play BASKETBALL to improve agility....Although I know most football coaches cringe at that thought due to uncontrollable paranoia... ::) ::)...I just think spring football is a waste of time.

Well having been around this coaching business a long time, I know that kids improve so much from year to year. A kid's junior year and senior year can literally be like night and day...what happened to lifting weights to get stronger, 7 on 7 to develop skill, and to be honest, letting kids get in the gym and play BASKETBALL to improve agility....Although I know most football coaches cringe at that thought due to uncontrollable paranoia... ::) ::)...I just think spring football is a waste of time.

Face it DickV this has nothing to do with football--you are a basketball man and that is all this is about

Guest DickVitale

Yes I am a basketball man, but it really was an honest and sincere question. To me spring football is a waste...The better programs don't have spring ball from what I have seen. I was just wondering about it thats all. Really.

Yes I am a basketball man, but it really was an honest and sincere question. To me spring football is a waste...The better programs don't have spring ball from what I have seen. I was just wondering about it thats all. Really.

More days in August is better in my opinion but, I am not a coach. Better programs are more established and have more depth that would be why they don't need spring practice. I understand a new coach or a coach with a young team wanting some early evaluation time to see what he will have come Fall. As far as its affect on basketball it usually doesn't unless you are a small school and they dont allow it in 3A and down, so to anawer your questions. "Is Spring football necessary? Yes, somestimes.  ;D

Well the thing about spring football is that, as a head coach it gives you a chance to have your athletes perform and gives the assistant coaches an early evaluation of where the kids are and allows them extra time to make adjustments. Where as if you wait until August to see anything that needs to be altered you only a have a few weeks before the first game. It is also almost mandatory when you have a new coach who brings in a new system, kids can learn the new offense & defense and coaches can find areas of needed improvement

At our school, we do not do spring football but we do incorporate spring training (weights, 7 on 7, lineman challenges, etc) to prepare our kids for summer basketball!!  We strive to be the most competetive basketball school out there, so we use football as a gateway to incorporate "secret roundball training" into our athletics program without actually engaging in practicing basketball.  For instance, we work on roll tackling (ie, grabbing a runner by his knees or lower leges and rolling like an aligator to force them to the ground).  So what is the signifigance to this drill for football?  NONE, in fact it is a strategy we use for when a basketball player from the other team tries to go coast to coast on us and we want to prevent the inevitable "slam dunk"!!

Ahh the true reason for this thread...

Here is a simple math lesson for dickie v.  18 practices in the spring to lose 6 in the summer.  12 extra days in pads.

That pretty much sums it up.

I'll take the full practice schedule in August with the 3 scrimmages before I do 1 day of Spring ball.  I don't know why the UIL just wave the 1 week/1 scrimmage penalty since they let 4 teams go in the top 2 classes....

Guest DickVitale

Dicky......

Is summer AAU ball even necesary? 

What is the difference and why do you even care?  Its obvious you hate football.

I was just asking a question!! You know what? I HATE AAU basketball!! I would rather just open the gym everyday and let them play and lift!! THAT IS THE KEY....You people.... ::)

No, he hates football probably because he was scared to play.

My question is......................

Is Summer League Basketball really necessary?

Wrong again...played quarterback...Got to high school and wanted to specialize and just so happens that MY DAD WAS THE HEAD BASKETBALL COACH AT MY HIGH SCHOOL, so guess what I did at a large 5A high school?  ::)

Dicky......

Is summer AAU ball even necesary? 

What is the difference and why do you even care?  Its obvious you hate football.

I was just asking a question!! You know what? I HATE AAU basketball!! I would rather just open the gym everyday and let them play and lift!! THAT IS THE KEY....You people.... ::)

No, he hates football probably because he was scared to play.

My question is......................

Is Summer League Basketball really necessary?

Wrong again...played quarterback...Got to high school and wanted to specialize and just so happens that MY DAD WAS THE HEAD BASKETBALL COACH AT MY HIGH SCHOOL, so guess what I did at a large 5A high school?  ::)

So you played in Junior High?  LOL

Why don't you start your crap on the basketball boards?  Is it because there is nobody over there? 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin