Confusion surrounds ending of BC/HF game

Confusion surrounds ending of BC/HF game

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

FANNETT — Bridge City Coach Chad Landry called it confusing as the Cardinals headed home from Hamshire-Fannett High School late Friday night.

The Cardinals trailed the Longhorns 14-11 in the bottom of the fifth before the lightening and rains came.

That is when Landry said he and Hamshire-Fannett coach Wayne Mahassy got together after a delay and decided to pick up Saturday where the two teams left off.

The plan was all set until Hamshire-Fannett athletic director Walt Mangan stepped in according to Landry.

“Their AD stepped in to say no and that the game is over,†Landry said. “We will do everything we can to finish this game. The Hamshire-Fannett coach said he wants to play this game. We already had said we would set something up if Saturday was too wet to finish on Monday or Tuesday. It is unfair. All the kids want to play, the coaches want to play so lets play.â€

The district rule states if both coaches agree to suspend the game, the game can be moved to another night.

“Both coaches agreed to finish Saturday,†Landry added. “This game was a back-and-forth slugfest. We didn’t even want to get on the bus. Our kids said they wanted to finish tonight and wait the storm out. Once we talked about it between the coaches, we were fine with playing tomorrow.â€

Landry said the next step is for the decision to go to the UIL.

Ironically, Hamshire-Fannett completed a suspended game this past Monday against Hardin-Jefferson. The game had been suspended from the Friday before due to inclement weather.

Hamshire-Fannett was leading the game 4-0 in the fifth inning at Hamshire-Fannett High School.

Orangefield and Silsbee also postponed a game on the same day until the following Monday.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is, the rain and lightning had been going on all game, but as soon as HF gets ahead again, OH, game is called, imagine that................and no one's mad because we weren't ahead, we had come back all night to go ahead so that didn't scare anybody, but apparently it did your AD, he had to call it then so you could hopefully win, lol.

Funny thing is, the rain and lightning had been going on all game, but as soon as HF gets ahead again, OH, game is called, imagine that................and no one's mad because we weren't ahead, we had come back all night to go ahead so that didn't scare anybody, but apparently it did your AD, he had to call it then so you could hopefully win, lol.

REALLY NOW??? So it all of a sudden pouring down rain didn't have anything to do with it?      And by the way didn't they hit off of all your pitchers. WOW!!!    BC definitely would not have come back

REALLY NOW??? So it all of a sudden pouring down rain didn't have anything to do with it?      And by the way didn't they hit off of all your pitchers. WOW!!!     BC definitely would not have come back

It poured down several times during the game, and didn't we hit off all your pitchers too???  You bet we did and came back from being down 8-1 didn't we, so we definitely would not have came back from that?  But your AD is trying to be sure we don't cuz he's

REALLY NOW??? So it all of a sudden pouring down rain didn't have anything to do with it?      And by the way didn't they hit off of all your pitchers. WOW!!!     BC definitely would not have come back

It poured down several times during the game, and didn't we hit off all your pitchers too???  You bet we did and came back from being down 8-1 didn't we, so we definitely would not have came back from that?  But your AD is trying to be sure we don't cuz he's chicken ****

I think more tears have hit the ground than raindrops... yall batted first SO I THINK THAT PUTS YOU BEHIND IN THE END. anything else?

Guest BC boy 17

It poured down several times during the game, and didn't we hit off all your pitchers too???  You bet we did and came back from being down 8-1 didn't we, so we definitely would not have came back from that?  But your AD is trying to be sure we don't cuz he's chicken ****

I think more tears have hit the ground than raindrops... yall batted first SO I THINK THAT PUTS YOU BEHIND IN THE END. anything else?

takes 7 innings to complete a true ballgame, i'm pretty sure we're just in the 5th

No crying here unless it was HF thinking they may have to finish the game, but good old AD jumped in and helped them out so they could win, ha ha.  Not that it makes much of a difference to BC, can you say who is NUMBER 1....................say it loud..................

BRIDGE CITY IS with or without your AD getting you the win.  It's just a shame you won't know for sure unless the game is played out who the real winner in the game is.

No crying here unless it was HF thinking they may have to finish the game, but good old AD jumped in and helped them out so they could win, ha ha.  Not that it makes much of a difference to BC, can you say who is NUMBER 1....................say it loud..................

BRIDGE CITY IS with or without your AD getting you the win.  It's just a shame you won't know for sure unless the game is played out who the real winner in the game is.

I get it now!!! Tonbe #1 we need to import players from other areas. I think we should start with Mexico. I heard that they have some real talent down there.

Or just have them move here legally and have all other superintendents and the UIL vote to approve the move. People need to let the whole move in thing go, BC was going to probably win district anyways.

Find something else to cry about, that one is two months old.

Or just have them move here legally and have all other superintendents and the UIL vote to approve the move. People need to let the whole move in thing go, BC was going to probably win district anyways.

I didn't get to jump on that thread, It isn't my job to stay glued to the screen.

I didn't get to jump on that thread, It isn't my job to stay glued to the screen.

That was a really mature post.......................

of corse another moderater running his mouth when he should be controlling it SHOCKER THERE

It's a boring job i'm sure...I guess they have to shake things up a bit every once in an hour :)

WOW...you must both be kids!!!...Everybody knows that the moderators keep everybody up to date on scores, stats, and current events.  You both should go back and read some of their post or just stay off....

It is a fact that BC has a way of coming from behind and beating you in the end.  With that being said, HF needs to step up and play out the game.  That is the only fair way.  Both teams have done an outstanding job this year and they should both be proud.  Why does it always have to be so ugly???  If  the coaches agreed to continue the game then continue the game and the AD needs to sit down and shut up. 

the hf fans should worry about this bc will never be happy a few years ago they had a football game suspended and they were leading at the time, the game was played the next day. they were leading in the 4rth qt. but lost . they all cried and said they could have finished the night before in the lighting and rain. so what ever happens bc is going to cry.

MLG66-  You might as well get your cleats all cleaned up because there's no way this issue is going to just be let go.  The game was not complete, and that's obvious.  It will get replayed because that's district policy and at the end of the day, that's what you go by.  Funny enough that district policy was enforced with the H-J game, but now your AD wants to change the rules.  Thing is, he can't.  Bottom line.

And my next question is this.....why would you want to win that way anyway?  It's not like anyone who is a true fan of the sport would respect a win like that.  Settle it on the field the proper way, beat them outright....then come on here running your mouth. 

From an outsider looking in.

It looks like this type of suspended game was finished last week in the same district.

It looks like a leader from the athletic dept of one team in the district now realizes the rule was misinterpreted then and is now going to have it interpreted correctly.  He would not say this game is over unless he knew there was misinterpreted earlier.  My guess is the district rule says finish from where you are any game that has not reached the five innings complete mark.  Other districts start over at begining. I think this rule was misinterpeted and people thought they were supposed to finish a suspended game even after the five complete mark.  I could be wrong on this.  Just what I think may have happened here.

It looks like one school has had some incidences this year involving kids actions and words. (I am a witness to some)

It looks like one school has had a few incidences this year (this week) involving their leader.

It looks like their leader figured out everyone knew who he was on this board and got himself a new user name.

All of this is not what high school athetics is supposed to be like and about.

IMO

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder