What makes a good or bad official?

I have heard you guys for years talk about poorly officiated games.  I  would like to know what constatutes a well called game.  Please don't talk about the obvious like consistency, I think we can all appreciate that, but give the officials who read this board food for thought.  This can be a good learning tool for everyone-if you allow it

The most important thing that good refs have in common are one thing...A feel for the game. I officiate. there is a huge advantage for the officials who have this..When not to call a foul, and when to call one...This official is in charge of the game, he is in authority...Problem is: Not many in our local chapters have this, the ones that do, are the best.

The biggest thing that seperates the good officials from the bad is understanding the game and the basice knowledge of the sport.I'm not talking about rules and regs here but situations.A great example is late in important ballgames(playoff or play in type games)knowing when the coaches are going to want timeouts and that type stuff and putting themselves in a position to see the bench as well as the court.The really good ones you don't even remember who called 5 minutes after it's over.Officials are just like players,even the good ones have bad games and they are the first to know it.The most overlooked aspect of officiating is conditioning.Most of the bad calls you see are from positioning simply because the guys couldn't get there.I called for a few years and hope to get back in to it soon.If anyone gives it a try they will get a whole new respect for those guys.

Guest nostradamus

To add to what WHALUM said:

-understanding that advantage/disadvantage is the name of the game

-willingness to acknowledge/talk to coaches

-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have ALL OFFICIALS learn what "Carrying" is.  We had "carrying" called on us in the regional and state tournament and neither time was it a carry.  PLEASE make sure ALL OFFICIALS understand that if a player loses control of the ball/dribbles the ball too high BUT his/her hand stays ON TOP of the ball it IS NOT "carrying".  Too many officials don't know this rule.......they think because they see a high dribble that it is "carrying" when in fact, it is not.  The rule states that "carrying" is the process of the hand going from completely under the ball to the top of the ball while dribbling.  A player can dribble above their head if they want as long as their hand stays on top of the ball.

-don't anticipate calls.....better late than early

that's all I can think of right now..........wait till we lose a game or play poorly then I'll be able to come up with a lot more!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Years ago I called a few sub varsity games. The very first one had  a game winning shot at the buzzer. I called it good and still dont know if it was the right call.......one was mad and one was glad and I was confused.....the human element makes room for error..........A good official is an asset to the game.........charge vrs block can be a sore spot especially if it goes against you....lol

Guest stevenash

Years ago I called a few sub varsity games. The very first one had  a game winning shot at the buzzer. I called it good and still dont know if it was the right call.......one was mad and one was glad and I was confused.....the human element makes room for error..........A good official is an asset to the game.........charge vrs block can be a sore spot especially if it goes against you....lol

Does the call ever go against the home team in Htown?

Does the call ever go against the home team in Htown?

We are the only team that I know who cant get a call at home.... ;D

To add to what WHALUM said:

-understanding that advantage/disadvantage is the name of the game

-willingness to acknowledge/talk to coaches

-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have ALL OFFICIALS learn what "Carrying" is.  We had "carrying" called on us in the regional and state tournament and neither time was it a carry.  PLEASE make sure ALL OFFICIALS understand that if a player loses control of the ball/dribbles the ball too high BUT his/her hand stays ON TOP of the ball it IS NOT "carrying".  Too many officials don't know this rule.......they think because they see a high dribble that it is "carrying" when in fact, it is not.  The rule states that "carrying" is the process of the hand going from completely under the ball to the top of the ball while dribbling.  A player can dribble above their head if they want as long as their hand stays on top of the ball.

-don't anticipate calls.....better late than early

that's all I can think of right now..........wait till we lose a game or play poorly then I'll be able to come up with a lot more!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey nos, I thought the rule was when u put your hand under the ball and brought it over your shoulder it was carrying, is this not true?

Guest nostradamus

nope.....you can dribble as high or low as you want....

if you are dribbling waist high but your hand goes completely under the ball and finishes on top of the ball that is carrying

I know you said not to mention consistency but I think it is the main thing no matter what...if a ref calls a game terribly for both sides its still hard to complain about him

I agree with this. However, if referrees consistently not call blocking, tripping and are slow to call jump balls, not only are they teaching players that football on the basketball court is acceptable, but the safety of the players are at risk.

I know you said not to mention consistency but I think it is the main thing no matter what...if a ref calls a game terribly for both sides its still hard to complain about him

I agree with this. However, if referrees consistently not call blocking, tripping and are slow to call jump balls, not only are they teaching players that football on the basketball court is acceptable, but the safety of the players are at risk.

Yea I've seen people get in fights during basketball games because of this

As OLDREF said "This can be a good learning tool for everyone-if you allow it"

Many issues with officiating appear every year on this site.  The local chapter works hard to provide trained, dedicated and experienced officials for the schools that it supports.  Can they work harder?  Yes.  Do they need help?  Yes.

Should officials know the rules?  Yes, but the coaches and members of this forum should brush up occasionally as well (reaching in is not a foul!).  Is there home cooking?  Perhaps, but I find it amazing that many can't see when their team really isn't playing well.

Officiating is an avocation.  Yes, officials get paid, but you don't get rich doing this.  It's great excercise, but you have to be dedicated to appear before excited fans, coaches and players several times a week.  Former players make great officials once they get their head around game management, yet very few take the opportunity to earn some college money and support the sport they enjoyed for years.  If you want to see officiating improve, get involved.

Poppabear - fan participation is an important part of basketball.  Done in a way that does not hurt anyone it shows support for the players, coaches and even the officials (the half that is cheering what the other half is booing). ;D  Experienced officials are rarely affected by fan comments unless they are interfering with the flow of the contest.  Officials don't eject fans, the game management from the host school does, and we have some excellent game management in our area...and the fans in this area are some of the best too!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been waiting until we got close to the end to give you my list of the best officials that have worked with.  There are two lists-no one makes both the boys and girls, and the only refs listed are ones that i worked with personally. Great officials like Eddie King,Matthew Smith, and Jim Westbrook are not included because in my 16 year career I never had the pleasure.  This is not in order of preference, in face I am purposely doing random order not to hurt anyone feeling.  So here goes!!  See how it matches up to your list.

1)  Eddie Hopkins-Taught me how to expediate the game

2)  Tracey Doucet-steady as a rock

3)  Mickey Guidry-No one better in a tough game

4)  Greg Garrett-just does not make mistakes

5)  Chip Johnson-had my first big ballgame with him-little dribbler national championship-learned plenty

6)  Kevin Abernathy-most deserving official who should be at the state tournament

7)  Bob Thewman-I would work with him in any game anytime.

8)  Lefty Hines-Personality on the court makes him a great ref

9)  Jim Lancaster-knows how to be in charge on the court

0)  Mike Ryals-Most respected individual in the chapter

GIRLS LIST

1) Kelly Touchet-No official better to work with-knows what he is doing

2) Roy Washington- works hard and understands the game

3) Chris Street-should be on the boys but I ran out of room

4) Norris Roberts-DITTO

5) Ronnie Girouard-SAME

6) Mike Simpson-Studys more than anyone in the chapter-also gives the best pregame

7) Lynn Hadnot- has the personality to handle any situation

8) Mike Gobert-quiet Mike is in a class of his own

9)John Cole/Paul Booker -sorry running out of spots

0) all and I mean all-LADIES IN OUR CHAPTER!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you agree or not.  I am sure I let someone out, but it was not an intentional foul-just a personal

The official I have the most respect for JOHN PEYTON

WHO IS YOURS

OLDREF

Sorry- One more list BEST YOUNG OFFICIALS

1) Ken Jones

2) Kirk Thomas

3) Kerry Thomas

4) Charles Jerry

5) Kerry Thomas

6) Sam Gallier

7) James Smith

8) Warren Jones