Nederland Bond

I'm not griping about needing new schools, I'm commenting on the need to maintain what we've got with the budget that we have.  It's got to come from somewhere, I named the three likely places we will be getting money from to maintain the struggling facilities that we have.  Not sure where your attack is coming from, these are the facts.  The money has to come from somewhere, there is no maintenance money tree out back of the administration building, we'll have to find the money in other places.

Nederland teachers make about $5000 a year more than I do, once again we would kill for another $5000. We are at pretty much state pay. ( The way you keep paying teachers past 20 years would give me an additional $9000 a year.)

Nederland has about 300 teachers, so if they really want to repair the buildings, take the additional $5000 away until they can pass a new bond. 300x5000= $1,500,000. That could fix some schools....

YOu  call yourself a teacher??  I'm glad you don't teach my kids with that assanine statement.

What? Give up pay for the good of the school district?

I understand it is not enough money to fix the district, but it would go along way to help patch until you can pass a bond....

Folks in Nederland, I do not think you understand, until you see what I am teaching in, your district is a Taj Mahal....My flag still has 48 stars....Literally....

The Taj Mahal is due to the people, not the facilities.  It's time the facilities match the people.

Not really, I am thrilled I don't have to teach Nederland kids, or put up with their parents. I was offered a position in NISD about 20 years ago and I am SO glad I didn't take it. I love my kids, I think I have the best in the area.

And what seems to be your problem with the kids and parents in NISD ??  (and how is this relative to the bond issue ?)

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?????????    ???   ???   ???

PS - I take it you voted for the massive tax increase?!  ???  ???

PSS - The whales and caribou can take care of themselves.  It's the massive pro tax increasers (pro-bonders) that I'm worried about.  ;D  ;D

smitty go help save the whales org or better yet the carabao

James, a good discussion is not always a bad argument.  But, anyway, take care, my friend.  :)  :)

Didn't it go from 70 something to 90 something?  It's in the ball park.  What was the actual increase then?

PS - Maybe our bond figures were a little more accurate they some would say.

Smitty,

I would love it if you could come up with a proposal to build new schools without a bond.  You would have to be a miracle worker to make that happen.   Maybe I am ignorant but how is the school district wasting money?  How are they bad stewards of taxdollars?

When will all of you understand, smitty and all the CARE people have no answers. Give the newly elected board time to meet a few times and see what happens. Their leader will soon see the truth first hand. Give it time. It wasn't 20,000 smitty, but then again, I didn't expect you to give an actual true number. ;D

Look smitty, I'm done with this topic, CARE has no answers to our school districts problems. The newly elected spokesperson for CARE will soon find out this and will bring you all over to see it our way. Our schools budget can not maintain the level of building integrity our kids deserve. The bond would have given our district the maintenance relief it needed, that is what was meant by Mr. Sandersons quote, “The bond was a crushing blow,” Sanderson said. “It puts us in a bind for the budget and I don’t know how we’re going to handle it.”

If you can't see that now you never will, so that is why I'm done arguing this with you and the rest of your group.

Guest Penny

This discussion has got to continue otherwise the right solutions will not be reached.  Gotta keep working for the right solution.  Remember Smitty, earlier you agreed that the ship was sinking and something must be done, if you represent the 3200, then we've got to find some common ground before it goes under.  You don't want that do you?

let me suggest to all of you on here that continue to whine about all this to come up with a resolution to the citys problems pass them on to those we elected and if it works run for office next time but please stop all the whining and bring this to an end !!!your wasting way too much negative energy on here if you would focus all this energy positively and get out and push for a solution instead of being part of the problem you would have what you want

It's amazing how all the pro-bonders want the topic closed.   ;D  ;D

I agree close the topic............

dang smitty you sound like you have all the answers... maybe you should run for school board, mayor, governor, heck president...  you'd have the worlds problems fixed i a week with all your wisdom and insight.

It's amazing how all the pro-bonders want the topic closed.   ;D  ;D

I agree close the topic............

OK smitty keep typing away and showing your Ignorance that fine.  Smitty won he won everyone, so everyone that voted for the bond was dumb and smitty was right.  People of Nederland should worry about themselves and no else.  There is a recession going on even though Allen, College Station voted for their bond but theres probably not a recession in those areas.  Lets keep our old out dated falling to pieces buildings because they are historic.  Port Neches can keep their fancy buildings who needs them, the people of Nederland don't.  If we did vote for the bond we would not be to afford the bond and we would have to combine with PA.  THeres nothing wrong with Nederland schools just get some duct tape and that will solve all the problems.  Smitty for school board, city council, mayor, state rep, state gov.................GO SMITTY

Is that what you wanted?

You're right Smitty, we need to start targetting which teachers we're going to let go, which programs we're going to drop, and how many more portable buildings we're going to need.  Then we can maintain these facilities properly. 

Has nothing to do with teachers, or portable buildings, or programs......As I have said in the past, I teach in a school district that really needs some new buildings, computers newer than 10 years old, a decent library, a new cafeteria, our teachers would kill for the salaries NISD teachers get, heck in the winter, my heater may or may not work.....Guess what, our TAKS scores are going to be very close to yours, all my kids are going to say "Yes Sir " and Yes Ma'am." My college bound kids are going to do just as well as yours, they are going to Baylor, and A&M, and Texas and Rice. And are doing well. Quit griping about you need new schools in a recession.

You made an interesting recommendation to Nederland to reduce salaries to pay for facility improvements. Good Idea? Maybe you can recommend the same thing to your district to address the facility needs you listed at your school. While your at it you can get some new flags. ;D

I am at state base now....I can't get any lower.  ::)

I'm not griping about needing new schools, I'm commenting on the need to maintain what we've got with the budget that we have.  It's got to come from somewhere, I named the three likely places we will be getting money from to maintain the struggling facilities that we have.  Not sure where your attack is coming from, these are the facts.  The money has to come from somewhere, there is no maintenance money tree out back of the administration building, we'll have to find the money in other places.

Nederland teachers make about $5000 a year more than I do, once again we would kill for another $5000. We are at pretty much state pay. ( The way you keep paying teachers past 20 years would give me an additional $9000 a year.)

Nederland has about 300 teachers, so if they really want to repair the buildings, take the additional $5000 away until they can pass a new bond. 300x5000= $1,500,000. That could fix some schools....

YOu  call yourself a teacher??  I'm glad you don't teach my kids with that assanine statement.

I understand it is not enough money to fix the district, but it would go along way to help patch until you can pass a bond....

Folks in Nederland, I do not think you understand, until you see what I am teaching in, your district is a Taj Mahal....My flag still has 48 stars....Literally....

The Taj Mahal is due to the people, not the facilities.  It's time the facilities match the people.

Not really, I am thrilled I don't have to teach Nederland kids, or put up with their parents. I was offered a position in NISD about 20 years ago and I am SO glad I didn't take it. I love my kids, I think I have the best in the area.

And what seems to be your problem with the kids and parents in NISD ??  (and how is this relative to the bond issue ?)

Hey, it was someone else who brought up the people of NISD. I just do not want to deal with NISD patrons. And as I look back, I am so glad I am where I am.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me. Maybe you applied and were turned down or weren't up to snuff.

I had friends in the NISD 20 years ago, so keep your snide comments to yourself.

I have a certificate that even Nederland would hire me today. I chose to be where I am.

Was not meant to be snide.

Once again, reading this entire post about the bond and the attacks on Smitty by NISD people, I am SO glad I am not there..... ;D

Hey, it was someone else who brought up the people of NISD. I just do not want to deal with NISD patrons. And as I look back, I am so glad I am where I am.

\

We don't care

\

We don't care

You just proved my point....

I have been reading this stuff off and on for a few days and it appears smitty and some others just dont get what James telling you.

Let me try this; I had 2 news letters mailed to my house within 3 weeks, I had 2 phone call recording in the last 2 weeks, multiple signs around town for the last 2 months to vote against the bond. All of the info was opinion from CARE very little facts, but that info reached a lot voters. CARE also hired a consultants for $20,000 to defeat the bond. Dorr is a professional and knows how to "spin the facts (he does this for living). Where did care get the money, businessess that do not have kids going to school. They want to reap the benfits of the school but do not want to invest in the school. They rather invest thousands and thousands of dollars to defeat something is needed.

My point is money won the election. When they can get there message out for over 2 months in many differnt ways and the committee has about 1/10 of the money to campaign, its a no brainer. It is very easy to to scare people when it comes to taxes. The good thing about the bond not passing is CARE owns the issue and the businesses that funded it. There will be another bond proposal, no doubt, the problems still exist. And when the proposal is to patch up everything for 4o million, and then we need another one in 10 years for 80 milllion thats when everyone will relize that we made the wrong decision. I hope I am wrong, we need a solution. I hope CARE and the whiners are righr and we come out of this with solid schools for the long term. But I doubt it. We will see.

Guest Penny

Good summary on this past bond, you hit it on the head.  However, I have a lot of confidence that we can do something in the future, I think CARE may actually CARE, I'm gonna find out.  I can't believe they studied the issue and really think we need to throw maintenance dollars at 60 year old buildings, I think they're smarter than that.  It may be timing, it may be the fact that it was all at once, not sure.  If it's about them trying to ruin the public school system then this is a brick wall we will struggle to overcome as a community. 

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me. Maybe you applied and were turned down or weren't up to snuff.

I had friends in the NISD 20 years ago, so keep your snide comments to yourself.

I have a certificate that even Nederland would hire me today. I chose to be where I am.

Was not meant to be snide.

Once again, reading this entire post about the bond and the attacks on Smitty by NISD people, I am SO glad I am not there..... ;D

Yep, I was talking about our terrible loss the other day. Where are you now that you don't even care to mention it?

The bond issue was doa long before CARE entered the picture. I believe that a change is necessary at the superintendent level before any bond proposal will possibly have a chance of passing. The next proposal should also consider breaking up the bond into several packages. And finally,any "committee" should actually have a true cross section of the community.

You honestly think CARE got 3,200 people to vote wrong?  Amazing!  Let me set the record straight: I was never a part of CARE.  I only know of one person involved in that organization.  I learned the names from CARE from people in these discussions.  I did all the studying myself.  And realised this was a flawed piece of work.  And after listening to some on this discussion board, I realised why it was flawed.  So, my friend, you might want to look at the administration's inept attempt to try and pass a bond issue.  Maybe, just maybe, THEY -- you -- were on the wrong side of the issue this time. 

I have been reading this stuff off and on for a few days and it appears smitty and some others just dont get what James telling you.

Let me try this; I had 2 news letters mailed to my house within 3 weeks, I had 2 phone call recording in the last 2 weeks, multiple signs around town for the last 2 months to vote against the bond. All of the info was opinion from CARE very little facts, but that info reached a lot voters. CARE also hired a consultants for $20,000 to defeat the bond. Dorr is a professional and knows how to "spin the facts (he does this for living). Where did care get the money, businessess that do not have kids going to school. They want to reap the benfits of the school but do not want to invest in the school. They rather invest thousands and thousands of dollars to defeat something is needed.

My point is money won the election. When they can get there message out for over 2 months in many differnt ways and the committee has about 1/10 of the money to campaign, its a no brainer. It is very easy to to scare people when it comes to taxes. The good thing about the bond not passing is CARE owns the issue and the businesses that funded it. There will be another bond proposal, no doubt, the problems still exist. And when the proposal is to patch up everything for 4o million, and then we need another one in 10 years for 80 milllion thats when everyone will relize that we made the wrong decision. I hope I am wrong, we need a solution. I hope CARE and the whiners are righr and we come out of this with solid schools for the long term. But I doubt it. We will see.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder