Nederland Bond

You want to suppress my vote?  What? 

Go on record and answer the question that's been posed if you are a pro-bonder.

You may be right.  Everyone needs to vote, or they can't complain later.  Complain now, one way or the other, vote, then let the process work itself out. 

I've read the information, considered as much as I could, and I have a sign in my yard supporting the bond.  In my line of work, I deal with similar situations everyday, so feel comftorable with my decision.  I don't think comments one way or the other are going to sway the personalities involved here, pick a position and vote.  That's what I would encourage everyone to do.  Funny thing to me, is there are likely people ranting on this board who won't even vote.

Problem is you can't vote for it smitty........

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for all the pro-bonders:  How about letting this board know what personal relation -- or members of your family -- you or they have, if any, to the NISD school district.  Either being employed by or offer services to by you or any family members.

1.8 million dollar press box, tell me this is not true, please!

I am on the bond committee and have no affiliation with the district, no one in my family works for the district, and I provide no services to the district.

Excellent!  Thanks...

This is for all the pro-bonders:  How about letting this board know what personal relation -- or members of your family -- you or they have, if any, to the NISD school district.  Either being employed by or offer services to by you or any family members.

1.8 million dollar press box, tell me this is not true, please!

I am on the bond committee and have no affiliation with the district, no one in my family works for the district, and I provide no services to the district.

Same on song and dance smitty but never any solutions just trash talk. Everything wears out, are you still driving the first car you ever bought. My dad has not worn out a set of tires in the last fifteen years, but they dry rot and you have to replace them. This just maintain what we have and we will be OK is not logical thinking. We will not be OK and it will cost us more next year to do the same work, why wait and spend more money? There is only one reason, that is that you don't want to improve the schools ever. As some have said you just want them to fail.

Guest Penny

Smitty, may or may not be a part of the CARE movement and this numbnuts they've hired... he may be the numbnuts himself.  I don't care at this point.  It's all about the point you just made Dawgnut.  You either understand and agree, or you don't and you don't.

The bottom line is the education of our children and the environment in which they are able to learn.  We have to ask ourselves if our teachers can provide these children with a 21st-Century education with existing technology and facilities.  I do think they could get by with what they are working with; however, I don't want my children learning in that type of setting.  Face it, these building were not built to keep up with today's technology demands, and our children deserve to learn in an environment which they can achieve their greatest potential.  In addition, as great as it sounds to save money and "renovate" or "remodel," this has already been done.  How many times can we continue to do this?    

I'm voting for the bond just so smitty's taxes will go up.  ;D

I only have one question, and I could probably get the answer if I went to the Ned site, but with the new buildings, has the overcrowding problems been addressed?

Good question and yes.

I'm not.

Smitty, may or may not be a part of the CARE movement and this numbnuts they've hired... he may be the numbnuts himself.  I don't care at this point.  It's all about the point you just made Dawgnut.  You either understand and agree, or you don't and you don't.

dawgnuts, it's not a difficult question.  Others have answered. 

I guess when one stays confused it all appears to be thrash.   

Same on song and dance smitty but never any solutions just trash talk. Everything wears out, are you still driving the first car you ever bought. My dad has not worn out a set of tires in the last fifteen years, but they dry rot and you have to replace them. This just maintain what we have and we will be OK is not logical thinking. We will not be OK and it will cost us more next year to do the same work, why wait and spend more money? There is only one reason, that is that you don't want to improve the schools ever. As some have said you just want them to fail.

Why would you call a local business owner who actually employs people and pays taxes numbnuts?  Just because he likes lower taxes?  Or is there another reason?

Guest Penny

Why would you call a local business owner who actually employs people and pays taxes numbnuts?  Just because he likes lower taxes?  Or is there another reason?

I'm referring to the guy who they hired who's mission is to take down the public school system by being a hitman for school bonds.... he's a NUMBNUTS... PERIOD.  That's just my opinion, nobody has to share it.

I have only read the previous couple of pages concerning this topic and I noticed there are several for / against this bond.  I have been to the forums and Ms. Krohn addressed some of your questions.  See the following:

1.  The "overcrowding" question was asked to Ms. Krohn at one of the forums and she said that overcrowding was not due to the population of students, however it was due to the number of "new" courses being offered that has led to the "problem" - Example she gave was COWMS has expanded its curriculum (spelling?) to include several types of Therapy classes that weren't offered a few years ago.  She said there were other examples like this,  but didn't elaborate.

2.  The 21st century setting - new environment, technology ready - the question was asked about technology and books- Ms. Krohn stated that the bond doesn't include any updates to the current technology or books that are currently being used.  So in essence a new building doesn't necessarily mean that new books / technology will follow - according to Ms. Krohn it wont with the bond money.

3.  The use of the existing buildings - Ms. Krohn said that the consultant didn't provide any specific plans, drawings, specific cost estimates or any other pertinent data to the bond committee or the NISD Board related to the remodelization of the existing buildings.  It was only stated that the consultant said when you begin remodeling more than 50-60% of a building it would cost about the same to build a new building.

I have personally went through the NISD schools and graduated many years ago.  I have children in the schools now.  I know that the buildings are older and require "more than" routine maintenance.  I agree that something needs to be done and I want the best for my family.  However I feel that a better option or a variety of options couldve been presented instead of just 1.  Every school district has its issues, however I'm partial that I believe we live in the best school district in SETX.  If not, I wouldn't live here.

If you haven't gone to any of the forums, I encourage you to do so.  I encourage you to ask questions and don't just sit there.  Its a shame that there are folks that only attend these meetings to achieve a personal agenda.  They ask good questions, but their tone of voice is of a demeanor that is a "turn off" to the majority.  Good, informative, questions asked in a polite manner are whats needed.

Early voting starts tommorrow.  If you don't vote, then you have no right to complain when either - the schools start falling down OR  your taxes go up 50-60%.

I hope the bond passes.  Those supporting the bond need to get out and rally the good folks of Nederland for support and to get out and vote.  Best of luck to you. Again, I stand by my assessment: this is a win-win situation for all involved, but especially for the kids.  Good luck from this Indian!

Just opened Saturday's mail and the letter from Nederland's Care is in it.

Let me read it and I'll be back with ya.

the only factual numbers i have deciphered is:

If the bond passes, adminbaberuth and his two children who own property in nederland have a $80,000 debt to pay off in 30 years for phase I and that's including me jumping off at age 65.

I'm willing to do it, but can't speak for my kids.

Here is to clarify another question that I have had more than once today regarding the $400,000.00 amount in the bond for land purchase.  $400,000.00 is NOT the current estimated purchase price of the land.  If sold today, the lots would sell for $225,000.00 total, or $75,000 each as there are 3 lots.  The district added considerable contingency for potential future cost increase as it is uncertain when this purchase might be consumated.  Keep in mind that the STATE WILL NOT ALLOW A SCHOOL DISTRICT TO BUY LAND FOR ANY MORE THAN THE APPRAISED VALUE, so that in itself eliminates the potential for overspending, contrary to what opponents of the bond would lead you to believe.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder