Nederland Bond

Who said that renovation was never considered?  The cost to renovate all four elementary schools was very close to the same amount to rebuild three new ones.  You guys say stop the waste and actually, we agree on that point.  If you spend major money renovating these older schools, then how much time does that buy you?  Say it's 10 years.  Then when you need repairs/renovations, what do you do?  Go back to taxpayers for more money to fix buildings that or now 60 years old or better.  The question becomes, at what pont are you throwing good money after bad.

As far as the scoreboard goes, you are incorrect.  I often wonder where information like this comes from.  The company, Datatrak, bears the risk of sponsorships being filled up or not, not the schools district.  The other side of that is if they manage to get more sponsorship money than aniticipated, they reap the rewards.  I did take the time to verify this information this morning.  NISD's only cost was for electrical set up and the slab that the sign sits on.  The community is not misguided on this issue at all.

When you have classes in partitions in the hallroom and have hundreds of students per day going to class in portable buildings, something needs to be done.  Another factor is reliance on window units.  Can you renovate this stuff? Sure, but at what cost?  The numbers and this bond proposal were not just pulled out of thin air saying let's build new schools.  This was studied for quite a while.

Thanks for clarifying that EMS. That's what I heard fron the onset of talks about getting  the scoreboard.  I was starting to get a bit concerned that maybe I misread/misheard something.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brubaker

EMS, When the bond committee studied the proposals made by lan walton.Why were no scematics or engineering proposals made available to the committee addressing renovation cost to each of the 4 buildings.Did any committee members think to persue this or were they so taken by the presentation made by ian walton that you did not think it was needed to make an informed decision. The committee was tainted by the number of school district employees and board members on the committee.District maintenance has been poor and very under funded for years. The current administration has not paid the needed attention that these buildings need.These walk thrus have proven the these builds are sound structures and are in need of renovation and not razing as Lan Walton suggest. Here is a prime example of how misguided a community can be. The score board was supposed to be baught and paid for with corporations buying space on the board. Well guess what the money goal was never reached and we the taxpayers are carrying the remainder of its cost. The administration and school board assured us that this would not cost us .Just like the FORD PARK farce are you not tired of the politicians telling you what we need. Make a stand  Vote No !

GVNBRN... If I fill in a few letters I may know who you are.  Misinformation and propaganda go both ways and should get you no votes...talk about sheep. I do hope that truly isn't you.  I was wondering who was putting those signs to "Vote for our kids... vote No for the bond."  I hope people do their homework before they vote.

Guest Brubaker

I still don't understand how voting NO helps our kids?

It doesn't.  You could say, vote NO, teach those idiots in charge of keeping the school up a lesson and make the kids suffer.  You could say, Vote No, I can't stand the additional taxes at this point.  You could say, Vote No, I'm willing to dump a few dozen mil into old outdated schools to make it another decade... any of these would fit well on the signs posted in Nederland.  However, Support our Kids... Vote No... is ABSURD.

It doesn't.  You could say, vote NO, teach those idiots in charge of keeping the school up a lesson and make the kids suffer.  You could say, Vote No, I can't stand the additional taxes at this point.  You could say, Vote No, I'm willing to dump a few dozen mil into old outdated schools to make it another decade... any of these would fit well on the signs posted in Nederland.  However, Support our Kids... Vote No... is ABSURD.

Seems like an odd slogan when in 10 years those building have to be renovated again for the same amount of millions. Might as well build new and get it over with.

I think the voters are smart enough to see through that. Unfortunately for us, voters in Vidor are too stupid to even vote for renovations that we desperately need.

This post has been read 1711 times, that is more than voter turn out will be for this bond issue.  ;D

Make that 2189 times, now I know for sure that is more times than voter turn out will be.  :o

James, I hope you are wrong, but fear you are right.  All I ask is that if people vote, they make a vote with ACCURATE information.  I hope that misinformation is not intentionally being spread such as the earlier post about the scoreboard being funded with taxpayer money.

Who said that renovation was never considered?  The cost to renovate all four elementary schools was very close to the same amount to rebuild three new ones.  You guys say stop the waste and actually, we agree on that point.  If you spend major money renovating these older schools, then how much time does that buy you?  Say it's 10 years.  Then when you need repairs/renovations, what do you do?  Go back to taxpayers for more money to fix buildings that or now 60 years old or better.  The question becomes, at what pont are you throwing good money after bad.

As far as the scoreboard goes, you are incorrect.  I often wonder where information like this comes from.  The company, Datatrak, bears the risk of sponsorships being filled up or not, not the schools district.  The other side of that is if they manage to get more sponsorship money than aniticipated, they reap the rewards.  I did take the time to verify this information this morning.  NISD's only cost was for electrical set up and the slab that the sign sits on.  The community is not misguided on this issue at all.

When you have classes in partitions in the hallroom and have hundreds of students per day going to class in portable buildings, something needs to be done.  Another factor is reliance on window units.  Can you renovate this stuff? Sure, but at what cost?  The numbers and this bond proposal were not just pulled out of thin air saying let's build new schools.  This was studied for quite a while.

The study included renovations vs rebuilding. Go to the NISD website and look at: 

This is the hidden content, please

Guest Bombthebond

So saying that the bond committee didn't even think to evaluate renovation options as a comparative case is MORE propaganda too.

Give me a break, that bond committee is loaded with people who either work for the school, husband or wife of someone who works for the school, father or mother of someone who works for the school, heck it's got school superintendents and board members on it. How else do you think they are going to see it.....

E A S Y !  You gonna give some a heart attack.

So saying that the bond committee didn't even think to evaluate renovation options as a comparative case is MORE propaganda too.

Give me a break, that bond committee is loaded with people who either work for the school, husband or wife of someone who works for the school, father or mother of someone who works for the school, heck it's got school superintendents and board members on it. How else do you think they are going to see it.....

Plenty of people on there who are not part of the district as well.

I believe he said it was loaded.  He didn't say they all had involvement in the district.

Plenty of people on there who are not part of the district as well.

Guest Brubaker

Would love to hear from G-v-n B-r-n--  Vote for the kids.... you've gotta be kiddin me.  How does the bond representation have anything to do with this ridiculous statement?  I know two people on the bond committee who have nothing to do with the school district.  Erik Shaw was on TV, evidently led the bond committee, has ZERO ties to the school district.... wonder what his credentials are.

Anyone attend the anti-tax tea parties in the area? 

Would love to hear from G-v-n B-r-n--  Vote for the kids.... you've gotta be kiddin me.  How does the bond representation have anything to do with this ridiculous statement?  I know two people on the bond committee who have nothing to do with the school district.  Erik Shaw was on TV, evidently led the bond committee, has ZERO ties to the school district.... wonder what his credentials are.

Guest Bombthebond

I counted 27 out of 34 on the board with direct connection to the scools. Loaded very loaded so what else do you think they were going to present. Answer this, how come there is so much simple maintenance items on the list, tear it down, build new, and in 30 years make another generation build new again, good thing the whole world doesn't work this way or we would not have any historical places to go and visit. I'd fire the people who let our schools get so run down, and as far as the football field goes, it's grass people it's gonna get wet and muddy, live with it and play, they been doin it since God created grass.

Guest Brubaker

Do you get your facts from G-V-N B-R-N-- also?  Three of these schools are over 50, Langham is over 70, all of the elementary schools are over 44 years old.  PROPOGANDA and LIES when you say are we going to build new schools again in 30 years.  You have a VERY poor argument... VERY POOR.  But do it for our kids. 

Guest Bombthebond

Do you get your facts from G-V-N B-R-N-- also?  Three of these schools are over 50, Langham is over 70, all of the elementary schools are over 44 years old.  PROPOGANDA and LIES when you say are we going to build new schools again in 30 years.  You have a VERY poor argument... VERY POOR.  But do it for our kids. 

Old schools, WOW, sounds like 90% of the homes and businesses in Nederland, let's just tear them all down. How bout doing your job and maintaing them. Oh wait, let's tear down the High School or gut it and spend millions on it, after all it's only 30 years old. I'm not lying when I say we should maintain our facilities better, if we did we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. All across American towns try to reserve their history we tear it down because we can't maintain, what makes you think we can maintain the new ones. We have trailer parks and apartments going up on every corner in Nederland and we have three out of four elementary schools who are going to be on lunch provided programs. Who can afford it, and who can't. Do it for the kids and keep the buildings repaired. Nederland is not the Nederland she was just 10 years ago. I laugh when someone tries to make a person think grass field is a safety factor or it's too muddy to play. Keeping up with the Jones can make a person say some stupid stuff and there is no lie about that. Now go back to your groupy friends on the board and ask the simple question, now how did our schools get so run down, get that answer, fire the people who don't do their job and quit making the tax payers in Nederland fix their stupid mistakes.

The question Nederland needs to be asking....

If they do vote down this bond, and in about 2 to 5 years from now when the projects are completed that were passed in the PNISD bond are completed, where do you think a parent moving in with kids would rather live.  The taxes in Nederland will be lower, but would you rather have your child going to a school that was built when FDR was president, or a new school with the newer technology built into it.

PN-G has done an outstanding job with it's highschool.  You really wouldn't know it is over 60 years old if you were to walk around in it.  The way Nederland High School was desigend (with the open environment) really does mean to redo that school it will need to be gutted.

Nederland citizens may be voting no on this bond because they don't want to keep up with the "Jones'" but the consequences of voting this down now will only mean that it will be more expensive to do in the future, and that the Jones' will be the chosen district by many new citizens moving into the area because it is keeping up with the technological future.

Who's to say that if the bond isn't voted for the school taxes won't go up anyway. IMO a tax increase is imminent as a means of increasing revenue to do major repair work on the schools and facilities, in the event the bond is not passed.  Somebody tell me if I'm not seeing this in the right light.

I am voting for the bond. I have walked through every elementary school, middle school, and the high school, and I see the need for renovations or replacement.  If we wait it will only become more expensive and more of a tax burden in the future.  I would like for my children who are 7,4, and 2 to have nicer schools than the ones I went too.  By the way, the schools are not exactly but mostly the same as when I went to them some 25-29 years ago.  I don't think some people will ever be happy.  ???

I am voting for the bond. I have walked through every elementary school, middle school, and the high school, and I see the need for renovations or replacement.  If we wait it will only become more expensive and more of a tax burden in the future.  I would like for my children who are 7,4, and 2 to have nicer schools than the ones I went too.  By the way, the schools are not exactly but mostly the same as when I went to them some 25-29 years ago.  I don't think some people will ever be happy.   ???

I totally agree with you.  I can't believe there is so much negativity about the bond.  >:(

Old schools, WOW, sounds like 90% of the homes and businesses in Nederland, let's just tear them all down.

Well, first off, a person's home is not public property so they don't have to meet ADA codes and since the are not in business of educating children they don't have to be wired properly for modern technology.

Businesses are open to the public, yes, but they are paid for by private owners. So again, since they are not owned by the public, they can choose to keep their business in the stone ages if they so please, since they are not in charge of educating your children. But since they are open to public business, they do have to adhere to code enforcement when they look to add on or improve in any way.

Guest Bondcrusher09

Old schools, WOW, sounds like 90% of the homes and businesses in Nederland, let's just tear them all down.

Well, first off, a person's home is not public property so they don't have to meet ADA codes and since the are not in business of educating children they don't have to be wired properly for modern technology.

Businesses are open to the public, yes, but they are paid for by private owners. So again, since they are not owned by the public, they can choose to keep their business in the stone ages if they so please, since they are not in charge of educating your children. But since they are open to public business, they do have to adhere to code enforcement when they look to add on or improve in any way.

Well, first off, I am so lucky this board didn't evaluate my home or they would want to tear it down too. I do what I can to keep the maintenance up on it and pay my taxes. Oh, and when I did pay for some electrical boxes and panels to be changed out I had to meet city code also, so bit me, you lose, private homes do have to meet codes. ADA codes seem to be the big issue here, last time I looked the schools were ADA approved so was the stadium, ramps everywhere you look at all entrances. Heck last time I looked all the schools were wired for computers and modern technology stuff. There is NO CODE for repairs, why have the repairs gone so long without attention, fire the whole bunch who let it go so long. I would look deep into the facts about who is running the show when it comes to keeping up with our PUBLIC facilities as you like to put it. I totally agree, PUBLIC PROPERTY, so why the heck have you let my PUBLIC PROPERTY go down hill. I don't keep my personal property like this, so why you need more of my public money to bail you out. We got a problem with the people in charge of controlling our schools. If the schools had been well maintenanced we wouldn't be having this bond. What makes you people think we can maintain a new school when we couldn't keep the ones we have now REPAIRED, notice REPAIRED, repaired when broken and we would still have NICE....Go ahead build all new the same people who drove the old ones will be in charged and soon the new will be old again, and broken.

Oh, and when I did pay for some electrical boxes and panels to be changed out I had to meet city code also, so bit me, you lose, private homes do have to meet codes.

Wow. Just wow.

If this is the mentality of everyone against the bond it will pass for sure. I should "bit you," eh? (I think you meant "bite" but we'll let that slide.) I lose? Wow, I didn't know it was a competition! Of course you have to meet code, but that still doesn't make your home a PUBLIC building.

After reading this post, I think you would serve the opposition better by crawling under a rock. You say that the buildings and the stadium are up to code as far as you know, yet you then trounce the maintenance department that makes sure it is up to code by saying they are doing a poor job!

You are amazing. And since "I lose" I guess that means you won. Here is your award for MOST CONTRADICTING PERSON OF THE YEAR. Enjoy.

Guest Bondcrusher09

Oh, and when I did pay for some electrical boxes and panels to be changed out I had to meet city code also, so bit me, you lose, private homes do have to meet codes.

Wow. Just wow.

If this is the mentality of everyone against the bond it will pass for sure. I should "bit you," eh? (I think you meant "bite" but we'll let that slide.) I lose? Wow, I didn't know it was a competition! Of course you have to meet code, but that still doesn't make your home a PUBLIC building.

After reading this post, I think you would serve the opposition better by crawling under a rock. You say that the buildings and the stadium are up to code as far as you know, yet you then trounce the maintenance department that makes sure it is up to code by saying they are doing a poor job!

You are amazing. And since "I lose" I guess that means you won. Here is your award for MOST CONTRADICTING PERSON OF THE YEAR. Enjoy.

Buildings and stadium are up to ADA code so are the schools, if they weren't they wouldn't be allowed to stay open by law. Now, the worn out facilities and buildings that the board is complaining about if that is a true statement then yes the mainteancne has been overlooked for years. Now you understand better. Being ADA code approved doesn't mean you buildings are in great shape, I agree they are in bad shape, my point is why are they this bad, poor manangement of money and people. Need to look deep at real problem here in Nederland.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder