Barbers Hill Baseball (not that strong)

Guest patriot117

Coaching.

That is a broad and general statement. Would you care to expound? 

I hear alot of Barbers Hill folk say that the "coaching" is what is holding them back.  How?

Might have been a case of too much Spring Break.

It has nothing to do with spring break and it's not just the catcher. Everyone involved in this team is playing a part in the slow start. IMO this team has been lethargic and unmotivated since the first loss against Columbus and the long talk after the game. I'm not sure who's in charge of motivating these kids or how they're trying to do it, but whatever is going on isn't working! Something has to be done to generate some positive emotions in these kids and get the fun back in the game. It looks more like we're attending a funeral on the field and in the dugout. ??? ??? It doesn't look like anyone wants to be there and that goes for everyone! I'm sorry but your not going to be very successful in baseball if you aren't having any fun with the game. This isn't as simple as football where you can piss a kid off and get him to play harder. The game of baseball isn't played well by angry or upset players and that's what we seem to have right now. Someone or something has got to change the morale of this team. IMO, the coaches do have the most control over that but this team still needs for someone to step up and be a leader. This is a very talented team and the season is far from over. It'll only take a little spark to get this team going in the right direction. The only question is: Who or what's going to provide that spark? And it better happen pretty soon because district play starts next week!

I'm surprised BH has started out like this as well. Something is going on! Hopefully these guys will get back on track and finish strong!

Don't give up we are just having a few bumps in the road we have 3 loses by 1 run that we should have won. But have been spanked twice. The weather does not look good for our BH tourney and we will start with a always scrappy team GP at home. Look for the kids to refocus and make this a solid year

I'm surprised BH has started out like this as well. Something is going on! Hopefully these guys will get back on track and finish strong!

Don't give up we are just having a few bumps in the road we have 3 loses by 1 run that we should have won. But have been spanked twice. The weather does not look good for our BH tourney and we will start with a always scrappy team GP at home. Look for the kids to refocus and make this a solid year

I agree Mustang. I've watched and coached most of these kids for too many years and we all know what they are capable of. I just can't imagine these kids allowing this to continue for very long. I'm just looking forward to seeing the BH team everyone was expecting to see.

There is no discipline in the organization as a whole. When a catcher walks a kid without the coaches knowledge, the coach is trying to talk to a player and the player walks away , and the lower coaches have very little knowledge there is a problem. It is not that there is not any talent, it is the way the game is approached. There has been alot of talent through the years and we have never gone very far.

I don't think discipline is a problem as a whole, I know most of the kids very well and have coached almost all of them at one time or another. Maybe you know something I'm not aware of and if so I would think it not the norm for the team in general. The incident your talking about of the catcher walking a player without the coaches knowledge was more of a misunderstanding than a lack of discipline. The coaches had walked the same kid in his last at bat and our catcher assumed they would do the same in this situation. It wasn't a lack of discipline just a mistake that in my judgement was blown way out of proportion. There seems to be something missing in the relationship between the coaches and some of the kids and I believe it is easy to see this as a lack of discipline. Just my opinion, for what it's worth!

There is no discipline in the organization as a whole. When a catcher walks a kid without the coaches knowledge, the coach is trying to talk to a player and the player walks away , and the lower coaches have very little knowledge there is a problem. It is not that there is not any talent, it is the way the game is approached. There has been a lot of talent through the years and we have never gone very far.

Wildthing are you the guy from the movie? You can have your opinion. But let me tell you it is not discipline and its not a one person problem. Our catcher has done a great job behind the plate. Try coming to all the games before you point a finger that one incident was just a communication problem the kid was walked before and in the same situation. From top to bottom we are just not getting it done. I have watched and coached these kids for years Three of our losses are by 1 run and the other 2 we got spanked. So we could easily be 7 and 2 and everybody is on the bandwagon. The one thing I agree with is BH has had a lot of talent of the years and this group is no different. Look for them to make a solid run at the district title. And be in the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs 

What's going on with Barbers Hill Baseball. There are some good athletes there so why are they doing so bad. I thought they would hit the ball better than they have been doing. I know pitching has dropped off but they should be more competitive than their record shows.

The talent and all the tools are there. It's the mental part of the game that's kicking out butt right now. No emotion, no confidence, and just a bad approach to the game overall. Swinging for the fences, throwing batting practice fastballs with a pitchers count (0-2 and 1-2), making excuses for everything that doesn't go our way, focusing on nothing but the negatives, just to name a few. All easy fixes and correctable with the right positive mental attitude!!!!!!

Guest patriot117

You would think you are talking about teenaged boys. Oh wait, you are.

Baseball is a game of failures. It's how you handle those failures that make you a better player.

The Eagles will be just fine. (Unfortunately for the rest of us in 19-4A)

Baseball is a game of failures. It's how you handle those failures that make you a better player.

Thanks PAT

I like your team my son and a few of the other eagles have played in tournaments with them. Your group will be very solid for the next few years and look for them to make the playoffs

Well said!

I have to agree with you. I think the Eagles will be fine and I'm glad to see you guys are doing so well early in the season. I'm looking forward to seeing the boys play you guys. I would expect a couple of good games. Good luck!

Don't worry Mustang I'm not giving up ;D I bleed blue and will be here for the long haul!!! I agree with you and Rip in defending the team being called undisciplined. BH is called a lot of thing ,but overall discipline always seems to be solid for the Hill in all sports. I think they are probally still looking for a leader and someone will step up and take on that role.

BH baseball team reloading, not rebuilding

By Robert Chambliss

Correspondent 

Published March 12, 2009

Editor’s note: This is one of a series of overviews of area baseball and softball teams.

After riding a stable of strong arms to the area finals last year, the Barbers Hill baseball team is looking for a boost from its hitting and defense this time around.

“We’ll be just fine,†veteran head coach Gil Stalbaum said as he began his 22nd year at the program’s helm.

The Eagles, 24-7 a year ago, had four pitchers signed to college scholarships, so pitching was the big question mark as this season began.

“Our defense is playing really well this year, and offensively we have had some bright spots as well,†Stalbaum said. “On the mound, Jay Burditt has stepped up and pitched well for us.

“Everybody else has had moments (pitching) where they looked good, but we just haven’t had the consistency out of our staff.â€

Burditt, junior Daniel Mitchell and seniors Alex Rocha, Matt Peterson and Jared Baker have been Barbers Hill’s main pitchers this season.

“Most nights we will start nine seniors,†Stalbaum said, “so that aspect really helps our team. They have been playing together for four years now, and I really think they understand where they are all at on the field at all times.â€

The receiving end of the Eagle battery is in the more than capable hands of senior Jake Ponder, a four-year varsity player who is the team’s cleanup hitter.

Three-year starter Tony Carmona is at shortstop and he and senior center fielder Heath Padgett are leading the team in hitting early on. Padgett, the leadoff hitter, has 11 stolen bases in nine games.

Cody Clifton is returning at second base, Jared Baker is at third base after playing there part-time last year and Peterson, Rocha and Tyler Lyday rotate at first. Colby Henscey, Burditt and Rocha join Padgett in the outfield.

After starting 3-0, the Eagles now own a 4-5 season record after running into some tough Class 5A competition at the Ewell Jackson tournament last week in Houston. They are looking to find themselves before opening District 19-4A play Tuesday at Galena Park.

“We have a tough district, where most of the teams in here can make the playoffs, but if we keep our confidence up we will be good,†Stalbaum said. “I think the confidence level of these guys so far has been a big key for their success. And I think if they keep it up then we will be all right.â€

Ponder expects great things out of his team.

“If we stay healthy and play good, then we could go far,†Ponder said. “With the team we have this year, I still expect to be the frontrunner in district play.â€

Coach Stalbaum also thinks well of his team.

“It is going to be a lot more difficult for us to repeat, but I think we could do it. We just have to keep all of the factors (pitching, hitting, defense) of the game playing well. If we do this then I expect great things out of the team.†

What's going on with Barbers Hill Baseball. There are some good athletes there so why are they doing so bad. I thought they would hit the ball better than they have been doing. I know pitching has dropped off but they should be more competitive than their record shows.

The talent and all the tools are there. It's the mental part of the game that's kicking out butt right now. No emotion, no confidence, and just a bad approach to the game overall. Swinging for the fences, throwing batting practice fastballs with a pitchers count (0-2 and 1-2), making excuses for everything that doesn't go our way, focusing on nothing but the negatives, just to name a few. All easy fixes and correctable with the right positive mental attitude!!!!!!

I have no idea if the diagnosis (mental/attitude/no emotion/no confidence) is correct, but if it is, this is a HUGE problem and NOT easily fixed. Such problems are a growing cancer 95% of the time it occurs. Reason: Such things do not crop up in a vaccuum. Something or, more likely, someone(s) triggered this. It's usually irrevesible. How many times have you looked back and said,"Wow, if so-and-so could've simply lived up to his potential" ?  That's probably the most common refrain heard in ALL sports, ALL the time. Time will tell if this plays out like 95% or the other 5%.

I have no idea if the diagnosis (mental/attitude/no emotion/no confidence) is correct, but if it is, this is a HUGE problem and NOT easily fixed. Such problems are a growing cancer 95% of the time it occurs. Reason: Such things do not crop up in a vaccuum. Something or, more likely, someone(s) triggered this. It's usually irrevesible. How many times have you looked back and said,"Wow, if so-and-so could've simply lived up to his potential" ?  That's probably the most common refrain heard in ALL sports, ALL the time. Time will tell if this plays out like 95% or the other 5%.

All these guys need is a little positive encouragement from the right source!!! ;) ;) ;) The rest will take care of itself!

All these guys need is a little positive encouragement from the right source!!! ;) ;) ;) The rest will take care of itself!

All the kids are pretty mature and 10 of them are seniors and they know this is there last shot in high school. Look for the maturity to take over and the doubts will disappear

well;well;well; if this don't sound like a pitty poor me attitude! Hey guys just got back in town from a much needed vacation and what in the world is up with BH? What appears to be the problem is that these young men need to take responsibility for their actions and don't get caught up in listening to these bleeding heart DADDY's

This current group of  BH seniors should never be counted out, so before you poke a fork in the Fat lady understand that with some positive reinforcement and a little bit of faith these boys have the potential to beat the New York Yankees.  I've heard lots of theories of what has happened to our team and I believe we have committed the cardinal sin in baseball and that happened at the Columbus Tournament Championship game which started our fall from grace. Never tell young boys they can't. If you take a young boy and tell him he is invincible, he could slay the dragon.  If you beat him down with negatives he can't fight his way out of a wet paper sack and will probably never live up to his potential. Most of these parents have witnessed this phenomenon and understand we must focus on the positives .Never count us out and don't go negative in the middle of the game. The Barbers Hill slogan is We Can We Will We're Barbers Hill not We can't We Don't so lets give up Hope. And a negative environment is not our only problem, in all the years that I've known Coach B. if a kid pops up on the infield and can't remember to hustle all the way to first base even though he should be out, he should ride the short bus home and I wouldn't expect to see him get much play time if he can't grasp this fundamental idea. As they say it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel. So we need parents to not panic and coaches to stay positive and seniors to wake up and hustle and do all the small things that are right for the team. In my personal opinion it is these small things that are the root cause of all of our problems. If we did all the small things right, we would be winning and the coaches would be happy and the parents wouldn't be in such a panic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder