Your Teams Most Heartbreaking Loss?

Guest Kelly Football

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orangefield's second round playoff loss in 2004. Tied ballgame, final minute or so, our offense had marched down the field with the running game, eating up the clock. Got to around the 9 or 10 yard line with 1st down and our athletic director made the stupidest decision ever. Mr. Brilliant called a pass, our guys got called for holding, backed us up 10 yards, another pass play called, ball was intercepted and run WAAAY back down the field, the other team kicked a field goal and the game was over. We were THIS close to our first ever third round playoff game. All we had to do was stay with what was working, running the ball. If we didn't get in the endzone, the field goal would have won it for us. I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I remember it. I can only imagine how the players felt. The athletic director left our district shortly after that. Our current AD was the defensive coordinator and he had those guys getting the job done every week. Glad he's still with us.

• 7 months later...

There are several Jasper losses that fit as heartbreakers in my mind:

6. 1989- Silsbee            7-13

5. 1987- WO-S              0-3

4. 1984- Tomball          27-35 (4A Regional Semis)

3. 1983- Willowridge      6-10 (4A Regional Semis)

2. 1986- WO-S            15-21 (4A Quarterfinals)

1. 2004- Gilmer            47-49 (3A Title Game)

Every one of those just stung. Jasper was talented enough to win a title every one of those years. Just wasn't meant to be...

Guest Bulldog

the liberty orangefield game a couple years back when we went 10-0 and lost to them in the 1st round. That was crazy.

Orangefield was better......

Some great stories here.  Here is one of my own.  I was on the staff at Hardin in the late 80's.  We were playing our arch rivals, Hull Daisetta.  Just couldn't seem to beat those Bobcats back then.  Final minute, 1987 (I believe).  Hardin 8, HD 7.  HD has the ball on about the Hardin 20.  Sets up for a field goal.  Just before the snap, (the refs tell us this in the locker room) the kicker tells the holder to move the tee up a yard he doesn't think he can kick it that far.  Holder moves the tee, the snap, the kick........the ball skims the cross bar as it goes over, HD 10, Hardin 8.  If the kid had not moved the tee, it wouldn't have made it.......

Ive got 4 Nederland games to me that were dissapointing The two losses we had vs. Jacksonville (97 and 04) and the two losses to Bay City (98 and 00) outside of my own team the 80 Championship Game between TJ and Permian TJ having a 19-7 lead at one point had moved the ball on Permian for 3 quarters only to watch Permian score 3 TD's in 13 minutes ended up losing 28-19 (I might add to this though Permian had a good defense 9 shutouts and still to this day nobody gives them credit for it)

I saw both those games that the blackcats won.But the game in 2000 we got very lucky an won that game,i thought we would blow nederland away ,those kids came ready to play we stopped them at the 1ft line and won 7-0.

There are several Jasper losses that fit as heartbreakers in my mind:

6. 1989- Silsbee             7-13

5. 1987- WO-S              0-3

4. 1984- Tomball          27-35 (4A Regional Semis)

3. 1983- Willowridge       6-10 (4A Regional Semis)

2. 1986- WO-S             15-21 (4A Quarterfinals)

1. 2004- Gilmer             47-49 (3A Title Game)

Every one of those just stung. Jasper was talented enough to win a title every one of those years. Just wasn't meant to be...

What about Jasper vs Burnet at Kyle Field in '03......Stephen McGee throw winning touchdown pass to Jordan Shipley to take the lead with under 1 min. left and go on to win the game.  I'm from Hamshire but I went to that game a Jasper fan only to see 'em fall.  Great game though!

• 2 weeks later...

this past year we made it to playoffs our school hasnt won a playoff game (till l8er in basketball season) in like 20 years....we make this huge comeback and we get a streak going 3 touchdowns and then onside kick with 2 min left and we get i personally caught the kick 12+ yards and they called it back and then west sabine knealed to win the game

Warren lost 3 last year, 1 point to Groveton , 2 points to West Hardin and in Overtime to Woodville simply because we couldn't make an extra point.Did't matter who was kicking we were snake bit,What coulda easily been a 7-3 season wound up 4-6.Tough year for a pretty decent club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder