jarvis benard

Guest wos84

He is only 5'8 and I believe this will hurt him at the next level.  The kid can shoot the ball very well from deep and is one of the best slashers and finishers that I have seen in a while.  I predict JUCO for him and then who knows.  I know that some LU coaches were in attendance in the game at the Montagne last year when he lit Silsbee up to the tune of 38!!!!!

he is a good player at the 3a level but not much past that he cant play good enough man D on a guy that would be about 4 or 5 inches taller than him and out weights him by about 20 pounds he would have to work on his D and hit the weights his offense is fine but thats what it would take for him to play at the next level

he is a good player at the 3a level but not much past that he cant play good enough man D on a guy that would be about 4 or 5 inches taller than him and out weights him by about 20 pounds he would have to work on his D and hit the weights his offense is fine but thats what it would take for him to play at the next level

Agree except for the part of on a 3A Level.  He is a good enough guard to compete on a 4A and 5A level.

Jarvis is a cat-quick, left-handed, scoring guard.  He's about 5'11."  Sag off him and your gym's roof will leak under all that rain.  Get in his mug and he'll be by you faster than your blink.  This will be his third season on the varsity, and I expect he will be playing somewhere at the next level next year.  Here's the math:

Jarvis Benard:3A = AI:NBA

and, next year,

Jarvis Benard:NCAA = Aaron Brooks:NBA.

Yo nostradamus, my man, here's a prediction for ya: Jarvis Benard will average 40 ppg vs. Silsbee this year, and throughout the playoffs, all the way through HJ's state title victory, and be the 3A Player of the Year.  Word.

Basketball is a funny game. I've known some great players who were supposely destined to go to the NBA. And I've known a small few who made it and no one ever expected them to go that far. Some of these high school kids are good at the level they are playing and will not advance much farther. The thing with 3-A schools is that the level of competition isn't all what it is talked up to be ( I'll probably get some flack). Jarvis is going to have to play against some top quality players or some good exposure camps during the summer months to get any notice from the big D-1 schools. Which is where most of these kids are trying to play ball

• 2 years later...
[quote name="setxslam" post="458184" timestamp="1225789268"]
Jarvis is a cat-quick, left-handed, scoring guard.  He's about 5'11."  Sag off him and your gym's roof will leak under all that rain.  Get in his mug and he'll be by you faster than your blink.  This will be his third season on the varsity, and I expect he will be playing somewhere at the next level next year.  Here's the math:

Jarvis Benard:3A = AI:NBA

and, next year,

Jarvis Benard:NCAA = Aaron Brooks:NBA.

Yo nostradamus, my man, here's a prediction for ya: Jarvis Benard will average 40 ppg vs. Silsbee this year, and throughout the playoffs, all the way through HJ's state title victory, and be the 3A Player of the Year.  Word.
[/quote]

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jarvis is red-shirting this year, and working on his point guard skills.  He had some 30+ point games as a 2 last year, but his Coach wants him to succeed Donahoe at the PG position next year.  Those were some bold predictions I made about Jarvis two years ago-- thanks for digging those up-- and I am proud of how close he came, and will come, to making those predictions come true.

Mats hang on, will play for state title
BY ADAM ZUVANICH ON MARCH 12TH, 2009 20 COMMENTS PRINTER-FRIENDLY

BY ADAM ZUVANICH
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
AUSTIN — After 32 minutes of intense, back-and-forth basketball, Clarence Willard had had enough.

Estacado's Jourdain Irvin shoots ahead of Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson's Jarvis Benard during the Class 3A semifinals of the UIL Boys State Tournament on Thursday at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin. (Zach Long/Lubbock Avalanche-Journal)
So the Estacado sophomore took matters into his own hands and made sure the Matadors finished it once and for all.
Willard, a 6-foot-1 guard who scored seven of his 13 points in the fourth quarter, kept his foot on the gas when Estacado’s Class 3A state semifinal against Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson went into overtime. He started the extra period with a go-ahead putback, then got a steal and layup immediately thereafter, and the Matadors never trailed again in a thrilling 77-73 victory on Thursday at the Frank Erwin Center.
“I was out there tired. I didn’t feel like playing no more,” said Willard, who also chipped in five rebounds and two blocked shots in 22 minutes off the bench. “So I just figured these last four minutes, I was going to play the hardest.”
Willard provided the final push for the second-ranked Matadors (34-2) — who will play for their first state championship at 10 a.m. Saturday against No. 1 Dallas Madison (32-4) — but they had several other heroes in a game that kept 8,414 fans riveted until the final buzzer.
Fellow sophomore Kevin Wagner, the son of Estacado head coach Tony Wagner, shined the brightest. The 5-8 point guard poured in 27 points, most coming on pull-up jumpers in the lane after he beat the Hawks off the dribble, and also tallied three steals, two blocks and a game-high five assists.

Estacado's Jamar Johnson shoots over Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson's Trey Burrell during the Class 3A semifinals of the UIL Boys State Tournament on Thursday at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin. (Zach Long/Lubbock Avalanche-Journal)
Kevin Wagner made his last three field-goal attempts in the fourth quarter to help force overtime, then sank four of his nine free throws during the final 40 seconds to help Estacado hold on.
“He was just unbelievable and phenomenal,” said Hardin-Jefferson coach Todd Sutherland, whose team won the state title two years ago. “To be honest, he’s what did us in.”
The Matadors appeared to be done in when the No. 11 Hawks (37-7) built a 36-26 lead early in the third quarter — the team’s largest deficit all season according to Tony Wagner — but Jamal Stewart single-handedly put them back in the game. The 6-3 senior forward scored eight of his nine points during the span of a minute, sparking a 16-2 run that turned the deficit into a four-point Estacado lead.
Stewart also drew three charging fouls, the last of which came when he had four fouls and the Hawks were leading by one early in the fourth quarter. Stewart, who eventually fouled out, also grabbed five offensive rebounds and had two steals in only 12 minutes of action.
“Juice was just being Juice,” said Tony Wagner, referring to Stewart by his nickname. “How many teenagers do you know with four fouls will attempt to take a charge, knowing it could be a block or a charge, just so the other team wouldn’t get the go-ahead basket? That says a lot about the kid’s character and how much he wanted to win.”
Estacado’s leading scorer, Jamar Johnson, despite a 2-of-17 performance from the field, finished with 11 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. Another senior, guard Duran Minjarez, drained a pair of 3-pointers in the second half.

The Matadors also had a 46-31 advantage in rebounding — turning 25 offensive rebounds into 24 points — and forced 28 turnovers that led to 27 points. [b]It all helped Estacado overcome a sparkling performance by Hardin-Jefferson senior Jarvis Benard, who went off for a game-high 31 points and hit a go-ahead 3-pointer at the end of the third quarter.
Benard, a 5-9 guard, also scored the game-tying bucket late in regulation immediately after Willard put the Matadors on top.
“I thought I was going to have to get out there and guard him at one point,” Tony Wagner joked. “He was scoring at a rapid pace, and I felt like we were being cheated. It seemed like there was two people out there, so I put two people on him.
“He’s by far the best player that we’ve seen this year. He could shoot it, he could put the ball on the floor, he had great body control. He did everything extremely well.”[/b]
But Benard’s effort and that of fellow senior Trey Burrell, who added 18 points and a team-high seven rebounds, wasn’t enough for the Hawks.
“I dreamed of the game going to overtime, which it did, but my dream had us coming out on top,” Sutherland said. “It just didn’t happen today.”
A dream has almost been realized for Estacado, which lost in the state semifinals as a Class 4A team in 2004. The Matadors are trying to become only the third Lubbock ISD school to win a basketball state championship, and the first since Dunbar won the last of its five Prairie View Interscholastic League titles in 1965.
Lubbock High delivered the city’s first championship as a Class 2A program in 1951.
“It’s great,” Kevin Wagner said of the opportunity in front of him and his teammates. “I’m speechless.”

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="455522" timestamp="1225528223"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=44611.msg454586#msg454586 date=1225452819]
I just can't wait until him and Trey takes the court in Austin this year, It will be so sweet to see them finish big.
[/quote]

Ooooooookay. ::)
[/quote]

I guess we see how that turned out...

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="961119" timestamp="1296845389"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=44611.msg455522#msg455522 date=1225528223]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=44611.msg454586#msg454586 date=1225452819]
I just can't wait until him and Trey takes the court in Austin this year, It will be so sweet to see them finish big.
[/quote]

Ooooooookay. ::)
[/quote]

I guess we see how that turned out...
[/quote]

You should have made a bet with me.

Oh that's right, you don't want to take my money. ;) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder