High School Officials And Their Influence On The Games

Newtonjb

Tonight In Diboll I Witnessed An Officiating Crew That Was Bound And Determined To Influence The  Outcome Of A High School Football Game; And They Did Just That. They Are Without Question;Lacking  Any Integrity And They Have Nothing That Remotely Resembles An Ethical Bone In Any /Or All Of Their Bodies. The Object Of The Drill Is To Allow The Two Teams To Play The Game To The Best Of Their Ability, And To Expect The Rules Laid Out By The U.I.L To Be Enforced Equally And Fairly; Tonight This Was Not Done; And I For One Feel That Those Men Have Set Back The Efforts Of All The Quality Coaching Staffs, In Their Work To Instill A Belief In Sportsmanship And Fairplay In The Young Men That Put On The Uniform And Do The Work. Officials Should Never Give The Appearance Of Anything Improper Or Underhanded, But These Officials Made No Attempt To Cover Up Their Agenda Tonight And They Should Be Ashamed Of Themselves.

While I agree you should not teach kids that officials create a loss, I also think that kids who give 100% DESERVE fairness in their efforts. The game in Diboll last night was certainly an example of extremely poor officiating, for both teams, and it was obvious that Newton was the target of the officials wrath. Although Newton suffered a loss on the scoreboard, the team and coaching staff, showed everyone that they can overcome a less than fair situation and will certainly be a team to contend with in the futrure. my hat's off to them. :'(

Guest EagleFan01

No the worst thing to do is cheat a bunch of teenagers in a football game..... It is hard to overcome things when everytime you make a big stop on defense or make a big play it is called back on a bullshit penalty!!!!!!!

Guest EagleFan01

We have seen it all before but usually a team loosing complains the most about bad calls. I have taught my kids that I coach "If you execute and do the things you are taught too do that you will win most of the time and bad calls can not beat you" I believe this still today!!!

I coach too and I do not like to blame the refs for calls, but if you would have attended this game you would have been saying the same thing about the officials. It doesn't matter what you do when you make a big play for a stop and the official throw's a flag everytime to give the other team a first down, you can only over come this so many times. Bad calls can beat you ask Washington a few weeks ago against BYU a bad call beat them.... Newton had 22 penalties called on them for 300 yards now there is something wrong with that, Newton had almost as many yards in penalties as Diboll did in total offense, now I don't care who you are that is hard to overcome.

I come from a family of referees. My dad was a referee for 45 years, my uncle, his older brother, was one for closer to 50 years and even today scouts new referees for college and professional football and my brother has been a referee at high school and the college level for around 20 years. That being said the men I've met as officials for the most part have a lot of integrity, BUT, as in everything else there are exceptions. I remember the first year Ozen played varsity, my uncle went into the dressing room at half time during the L-Town Ozen game and reamed the team for the calls they were making, this team was obviously trying to give the game to Ozen, Lumberton managed to win but by coincidence they only won by 3 points while they needed 4 to make the playoffs, Ozen made it instead, never quite figured out how they could lose there way into the playoffs. Anyway, this team made several blatantly bad calls, but unless you saw money or something else being exchanged there's not alot a team can do. The coaches need to protest this to the UIL if they feel they were shortchanged, as with Lumberton, this won't change the outcome but it could get bad officials off the field.

Guest catfishTX

I don't believe there were 22 penalties called in the game total.......

and as far as stats go......Diboll had 440 yds total offense.......311 rushing........

I really think all the complaining about the officials needs to stop.....we have all been on the raw end of the deal one time or another.........

Both teams played hard a hard fought game from opeing kickoff until the end......

I come from a family of referees. My dad was a referee for 45 years, my uncle, his older brother, was one for closer to 50 years and even today scouts new referees for college and professional football and my brother has been a referee at high school and the college level for around 20 years. That being said the men I've met as officials for the most part have a lot of integrity, BUT, as in everything else there are exceptions. I remember the first year Ozen played varsity, my uncle went into the dressing room at half time during the L-Town Ozen game and reamed the team for the calls they were making, this team was obviously trying to give the game to Ozen, Lumberton managed to win but by coincidence they only won by 3 points while they needed 4 to make the playoffs, Ozen made it instead, never quite figured out how they could lose there way into the playoffs. Anyway, this team made several blatantly bad calls, but unless you saw money or something else being exchanged there's not alot a team can do. The coaches need to protest this to the UIL if they feel they were shortchanged, as with Lumberton, this won't change the outcome but it could get bad officials off the field.

Please Forgive Me If I Sounded Like I Intended To Lump All Of The Officials In The Same Category As The Ones That Called The Game For Newton And Diboll; The Vast Majority Are Truly Doing Their Best To Do A Good Job ( Though It Is A Thankless Job ) For The Athletes.  The Good Officials Are The Ones That We Expect And Respect, They Are, Unfortunately Caught Up In The Blast When The Bad Ones Have Their Way. I Was Ticked-Off After Last Nights Rob Job And I Meant No Disrespect To Any Officials Other Than Those In That Particular Crew; But I Meant What I Said About Those Guys And Am Totally Unapologetic. Bad Officials Are Not the Rule: They Are Thankfully The Exception.

Well, you must have had the refs we had at EC last year!  Hopefully those refs do not call games anymore are at least don't call together!  I know EC will jump on here and said we are just crying because we lost by 1 pt.  No one wants to think they won a game because of refs.  Now saying that no, not all refs are like that, but there has been many games they could have just said your not winning, that way no player gets hurt in a game that they were not going to win before they got there.  This happens in all sports not just football games.

To all the refs that try to call a good game THANK YOU!  They will get some calls wrong and may not see everything they are human but when the refs that give games to certain teams are very hard to miss.

I have never understood why Adults would do this to the kids, but they do.  Just thank God there are more good refs then the bad!

We have seen it all before but usually a team loosing complains the most about bad calls. I have taught my kids that I coach "If you execute and do the things you are taught too do that you will win most of the time and bad calls can not beat you" I believe this still today!!!

this is a good thing to teach, but the fact is, the outcome of a game can be determined by referees

i have 2 examples here

one of a good ref that made a bad call, and one of a notoriously bad ref

lets get to the bad guy first

ex.1 Tim Donaghy

you all remember him

the nba ref that was caught gambling on the outcome and point spread of games

he admittedly... and i quote "made up fouls to change the point spread or outcome of the game"

ex.2 Ed Hochuli

everyone knows about this by now, if not, get out from under your rock

this happened when the san diego chargers played the denver broncos:

Denver quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, the ball slipped from his hand and a San Diego player recovered. But Hochuli ruled it an incomplete pass. He later admitted it was the wrong call.

Denver retained possession, scored a touchdown and then won with a successful 2-point conversion.

Ed answered all of his emails and was very sorry that he made that call

When the defense gets a delay of game call you know the officials are bad.

haha no joke

this really happend?

Did you know the signal for "disconcerting signals" is the same as delay of game? If a defensive player is saying "hut,hut" or something sounding like that, they are flagged for disconcerting signals and the delay signal is used. Not saying that's what happened but it may have. Also let it be known that the chapter in question is not ours (Bmt).

haha no joke

this really happend?

Did you know the signal for "disconcerting signals" is the same as delay of game? If a defensive player is saying "hut,hut" or something sounding like that, they are flagged for disconcerting signals and the delay signal is used. Not saying that's what happened but it may have. Also let it be known that the chapter in question is not ours (Bmt).

Thanks for your info.

haha no joke

this really happend?

This Delay Call Happened While Both Clocks Were Stopped And The Offense Was Still In The Huddle. To Me This Indicates A Crew Looking To Have It Their Way; At The Expense Of Not Only The Players, But The Officials Integrity. This Crew Is Needs To Be Disbanded And Reasigned To Crews That Believe In The Rules And Impartiality.

Sometimes a call is key.  In those cases there are ALWAYS dozens of other plays that could have been the difference too.

This is exactly the point I made on the Newton/Diboll thread. The Eagles had the ball with 2:02 to go. They were driving. They were aided by a Lumberjack penalty. They had the game within reach. And then they choked. Plain and simple. Intercepted at the Lumberjack 27 yard line. End of story.Blaming the refs only belittles the effort put out by both teams.

I could have come on here belly-aching the same way about the Diboll/Kirbyville game. Terrible officiating in that one on both sides ( just like the Newton game). But you know what? Kville won. Plain and simple.

Diboll dropped four easy catches in that game that would have been TD's. IF they had caught just two of them, we would have won. IF they had caught just one and IF they had not given up a safety, they would have won. IF they would have tackled better they would have won.

My Grandpa used to say,"IF grasshoppers carried .45's, bluejays wouldn't eat 'em for breakfast".

Diboll beat Newton. Get over it.

Now I'll let y'all get back to your Waa-burgers and french cries.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder