*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BPD is on tv right now talking about how they have contigency plans in place in case Ike does shift.  They know how "unpredictable" these storms can be.  I hope those plans involve crash courses on surviving hurricanes while in your car!

And you trust what BPD says???? WOW! You're braver than most!

not particularly.  note the comment about being stuck in my car during landfall.

BPD is on tv right now talking about how they have contigency plans in place in case Ike does shift.  They know how "unpredictable" these storms can be.  I hope those plans involve crash courses on surviving hurricanes while in your car!

And you trust what BPD says???? WOW! You're braver than most!

not particularly.  note the comment about being stuck in my car during landfall.

OH! My bad!! ;)

... also, they aren't going to evacuate just because we may get some effects from the storm.

Its always better to be safe than sorry... This storm is right on our butts and could do anything! If it stays the course we could be greatly effected! If they continue to wait how would the elderly and special needs have time to do anything???? C'mon tvc,youre a cop,you know their job as elected officials is to protect the citizens of their counties and I think as of now theyre failing miserably!

Yes and they did exactly that a few days ago for Gustav and everyone was up in arms because we didn't get hit. Gustav was very close. We got some heavy rains and some fairly strong winds out of it in parts of this area. That didn't matter. Many people seemed to be angry that their homes were still standing and they left "for no reason".

AGAIN, if anyone wants to leave, then do so. There is no permission needed to evacuate. This isn't China where you need papers to authorize someone to leave the county.

If they call an evacuation this afternoon for tomorrow morning and it hits near Corpus Christi, the exact same people that are complaining now, will complain again that we didn't get hit again.

First, I don't think EVERYONE was up in arms.   Second, if these guys are waiting because they might get criticized, then they don't need to be public officials.  Comes with the job.      >:(

The Galveston Mayor wanted to call for Mandatory Evacuations (from what i've read) but now she states that It's too late to safely do so now.  This is setting up to be a MAJOR disaster and by this time for Rita, SETX and Houston was leaving, and this storm is progged to move even FURTHER East than currently projected (Possibly as far East as Galveston Bay as depicted by one single model).  Can you say -- Worst case scenerio setting up for a LOT of folks???  We are going to be on the BAD side of this storm, I think if they'd not called the evacs for Gustav, then there would be no question, an evac order would already be in effect.. if I recall, I don't think Gustav's track ever was forecasted anywhere nearly as close as Ike, and Ike is a helluva lot bigger. 

Guest abovetherim

Galveston and Cameron Parish in La are being evacuated...whats the hold up with Us?

If you want to leave, then do so. No one needs permission to get out of the area. They aren't going to call for an evacuation unless there is a good chance of major damage to the area. That may be the decision shortly but as of yet, that is not the predictions.

If there isn't a county wide mandatory evacuation a lot of people can't leave for fear of losing their job. I won't be leaving either way as I'm a nurse at a local hospital. So, I only care about it being done right for my loved ones and friends.

They are waiting to keep people from spending money and having their lives displaced for a few days without cause.

As far as criticism, they are going to get that no matter what happens. No matter what a public official decides, it will be criticized by someone. That is part of the job.

The emergency management officials are given information from the national weather service. They will base their decision on what is told to them at the briefing. It will not be based on opinions from bulletin boards or junior metorologists who are workers during the day and become weather experts when they read webpages.

As far as the current briefing, it is still in progress after two hours. Apparently they are deciding something.

The Galveston Mayor wanted to call for Mandatory Evacuations (from what i've read) but now she states that It's too late to safely do so now.  This is setting up to be a MAJOR disaster and by this time for Rita, SETX and Houston was leaving, and this storm is progged to move even FURTHER East than currently projected (Possibly as far East as Galveston Bay as depicted by one single model).   

The Rita evacuation was called on the same timeline as this.

There is still time to start the evacuation and get everyone out of here before landfall. As I said last Sunday, Thursday morning at 6:00AM is what to look for. The eye will come ashore on early Saturday morning. There is no way they would have called for the evacuation on Wednesday and have everyone out up to two days before landfall.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder