*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no evacuations, TVC?

The 4:30PM meeting should be taking place right now. An answer may come from that but I am not at work today. I might call in a bit as see what is up with it.

For THE MOMENT, no evacuations for the general public have been called either voluntary or mandatory. That of course, is subject to change at a moment's notice.

Is there a certain spot that officials in this area look at to make a judgement for us??  Like as soon as it is supposed to go "here", its time to evacuate the golden triangle.

I've sat in on a few of the weather briefings and decisions (and would be there today if I was working) and it goes a lot by what the National Weather Service/National Hurricane Center forecasts are. I have never seen it be a definitive answer such as, "if it crosses this line, we evacuate". It just depends on the circumstances, the predicted landfall, the certainty of the predictions, etc.

Basically the decision is made by men and women with the available data, not by computers.

I still dont understand what the hold up is concerning the evacuations and closings.... either crap or get off the pot!!!

If they had a good idea that it would be near here, they would. Right now the storm looks to land 200 miles away in Corpus Christi.

This doesn't make any sense.  For Gustav they were so quick to call for evacuations and we were on the WEST side of where it was projected to go.  Now, we are projected to be on the bad side and it's continually turning and they're dragging their feet to call evacuations.

This doesn't make any sense.  For Gustav they were so quick to call for evacuations and we were on the WEST side of where it was projected to go.  Now, we are projected to be on the bad side and it's continually turning and they're dragging their feet to call evacuations.

Exactly! We're on the bad side this time with a track that will continue to slowly move North.

I still dont understand what the hold up is concerning the evacuations and closings.... either crap or get off the pot!!!

If they had a good idea that it would be near here, they would. Right now the storm looks to land 200 miles away in Corpus Christi.

I understand that, but you'd think they would rather be safe than sorry. How far away did Gustav hit and we ran for the hills QUICK! It appears were gonna get hit,maybe not direct but were gonna get some weather we havent seen in quite a while.  

i'm an employee of BISD, so i'm going to be upset if they wait long enough for me to be stuck here tomorrow, and then call for an evacuation on friday.  i'll then end up having to evacuate with everyone else and spend 20 hours in traffic.  

Friday is too late. It will have to start on Thursday if the entire area is going to evacuate.

I understand that, but you'd think they would rather be safe than sorry. How far away did Gustav hit and we ran for the hills QUICK! It appears were gonna get hit,maybe not direct but were gonna get some weather we havent seen in quite a while.  

Gustav was a lot closer to us according to the predicted path than Ike. If Gustav would have turned about 5 degrees to the west, we would have been hit. This storm has to turn about 45 degree to hit us.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder