School Fined After Umpire is Beaned

School Fined After Ump Beaned During Game

CARTERSVILLE, Ga. -- State athletic officials fined Stephens County High School $1,000 and placed the baseball program on "severe warning status" Wednesday for beaning an umpire during the state championship game last weekend.

Video of the incident during the game on Saturday shows Stephens County catcher Matt Hill ducking at the last second and the pitch striking umpire Jeff Scott in the face mask. Scott was uninjured.

The pitch from Cody Martin came during the third and deciding game in the state championship between Stephens County and Cartersville, won 13-1 by Cartersville.

The players and their coach still insist there was a mix-up on the pitch. But Georgia High School Association executive director Ralph Swearngin, who watched video of the pitch, didn't see it that way.

"I made my decision primarily by watching whether the catcher tracked the pitch with his eyes," he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "In my opinion, he did not. I think that he would have been searching for the ball if it were a matter of being crossed up."

The Stephens County principal has apologized for the incident and said he thinks the punishment is fair.

In 94 or 95 at the Pony field in Vidor, my son was behind the plate, Evadale boy on the mound and a umpire with a red beard was calling the game. The pitch was gas down the pipe, umpire totally missed the call, pitcher called my boy out to the mound, said he's comming with high gas and told son to stay down. When my boy assumed his posisition, the ump leaned in and told him "if you boys do it both of you are gone" needless to say my boy caught the ball. The names were ommited to protect the guilty and the intended victim.

In 94 or 95 at the Pony field in Vidor, my son was behind the plate, Evadale boy on the mound and a umpire with a red beard was calling the game. The pitch was gas down the pipe, umpire totally missed the call, pitcher called my boy out to the mound, said he's comming with high gas and told son to stay down. When my boy assumed his posisition, the ump leaned in and told him "if you boys do it both of you are gone" needless to say my boy caught the ball. The names were ommited to protect the guilty and the intended victim.

That's just funny.

I know of whom the Ump you are talking about 643, he no longers umps games. Do you think they should try and pull that one on me ???  Be two kids and a coach leaving !!!!!!  lol

Probably 15 years ago I saw a play like the one mentioned. The Houston Astros were playing and

apparently a pitch out was called. The pitcher claims to have missed the sign because after the catcher

moves out from behind the plate a blazing fastball hits the umpire where it hurts. Enos Cabel was the

TV commentator and he misspoke. Does any body remember this and knows what Enos said?

Looks like he paid a heavy price for that.

Matt Hill, the Stephens County High School catcher accused of intentionally letting a pitch hit an umpire last week, won't be playing baseball at Gordon College as a result.

Gordon baseball coach Travis McClanahan said today he spoke with Hill on Wednesday and withdrew an invitation for Hill to be walk on with the team next season.

This is the hidden content, please

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317