2 starters kicked off team for watching ragball game

I heard that 2 starters from kirbyvilles baseball team their ace pitcher matthew mcclelland and their starting 2nd baseman garrett winn were kicked off the team for BEING at a ragball tournament. I think its stupid for kicking them off the team for watching some of the games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

an intramurual sport gamewith the basic concept of baseball. Most the time you have seven boys and four girls play every position with a rover player. You must bat all 11 players it must be boy girl bgbgbg then bbb batting order. Played on your average softball field. Lots of fun.

If this all there is to the story, then this is absolutely ridiculous.  Even if they were playing in the game, and not just watching, the coach is overstepping his bounds here (IF this story is true).  It is not a coach's right to control the legal extracurricular activities of his players at this level, regardless of what some might think.  Don't get me wrong, had they been kicked off because they were caught at a party, or had committed a crime, or had done something of a similar nature, I would commend a coach for kicking them off the team.  But for watching (or even playing) a ragball game?  The only way I can see this as reasonable would be if they had skipped a game or practice to attend the ragball game.  If a college coach (where the kids are getting scholarships to play), or a professional coach (where the players are getting paychecks) wants to institute rules about player activities, then I don't have a problem with it.  Most high schoolers, however, will not play at the next level, and are playing for the love of the game.  They perform to represent their school and community, while receiving nothing beyond encouragement in return.  This is not enough of a reimbursement for coaches to expect their players to not have fun outside of the clubhouse during the season.  

I am sorry folks, we do not bash coaches here on the site. I had to delete some posts because of that and I am sorry. If this continues, this thread will be gone. You can voice your opinion on how you would handle this matter, but it is against forum rules to bash a coach. Thank you for your cooperation.

The whole story is that Garrett and Nobby was told not to play with their ragball team by their baseball coach. Well they did not play with us but they did come to watch us play. The coach did tell them they couldn't come watch us play too, but he can't do that. The coach showed up and watched us play and seen that they wasn't playing. When he was going to leave he seen the 2 boys walking back over there to us and stopped and told them they wasn't playing baseball anymore. They told him they wasn't playing and he still kicked them off the baseball team. These 2 did nothing wrong for going with their friends on their own time and watching them play ball.

As a parent of kids in sports myself, I would have to say that I feel that it is my choice where my children go when they aren't at school.  As long as its not interfering with practice or games, then I don't see how it is anyone's place but the parents to make this decision.  Especially since they wern't even playing the tournement.  I know both the boys, they are good kids who don't get in trouble.  They are also great ball players. They did nothing wrong.

I am sure by this time tomorrow that all will be good bc surely there is more to it than this? Who kicks off two kids for watching a game on Sunday? Come on.

I am sure by this time tomorrow that all will be good bc surely there is more to it than this? Who kicks off two kids for watching a game on Sunday? Come on.

My sentiments exactly. I'll be in Silsbee Tuesday night broadcasting the softball game, I'll find out the scoop then.

I'll be glad when this all comes out. So that everybody knows that this is all that there is to it.  As I said before, Garrett is like part of our family.  I know there have been problems this season with them being told they couldn't play, watch, or practice with our team, and of course like most 17 year old boys, they obviously weren't happy with being told they couldn't play.  But I never thought that it would be taken this far.  Afer all they weren't playing.  I was there, as were many others who witnessed that they weren't playing.  I disagree with a coach being able to tell a kid they can't do something outside of the clubhouse, however, that is up to the school, parents, coach as well as player, as to what the boundries are on that.  All that said, I can't see how they can be told that they can't attend a charity fund raiser simply as a spectator.  Regardless of what was said between the coaches and players on this matter before, it still isn't fair for them to be kicked off the team for simply being somewhere, with their parents permission.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86