21-3A Coach of the Year

I know both of these gentlement do a great job, but without Bernard and Robinson, there wouldn't be anything or anyone to discuss.

That, right there, is one of the most brilliant statements of all time.  Wow!  The depth and knowledge you exude.

I would suspect that if you take away the best player from any team "there wouldn't be anything or anyone to discuss".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So informer, who would you take away from OF and there be nothing to discuss.  If you can take away one person from those two teams and the whole dynamic change, then who would you take away from OF.  Maybe you can't come up with one.  Maybe that is why the OF coach should be coach of the year.  He doesn't have just one player that takes over.

I think if you look at the 21-3A teams you will see that the teams other than HJ-SILS-OF were not as strong as everyone predicted earlier in the season. I know I was surprised when HJ played them. So, was it really exceptional caoching by OF that got them the wins over these teams or was OF the 3rd best team in the District from the beginning because of their talent. Also, remember the 30 point loss to Silsbee late in the year at OF. The main reason given for the OF coach to win has been based off early predictions and where their team ended up. On the other hand Silsbee was predicted by many to beat HJ (review the thread from the tie-breaker game at the montagne center) and HJ beat them by over 20. Weren't they predicted to either win or come in second in district at the beginning of the season. They lost to HJ by double figures twice and won 1 game by 2 points at Silsbee. The word on the street early on was HJ could not stop their quick guards, but they did!! The only reason given for Sutherland not to win the award was because he had the most talent. Whether some HJ games were close or not is irrevelant. Whether HJ players were hurt during the season is also irrelevant. You still have to put your players in a position to win each night and no-one does or did that better than Sutherland. You can try to justify him not getting the award all day long but I think anyone that looks at the district as a whole will see that Sutherland is the coach that most would want directing their program because of exactly what HJ did on the court this year. HJ won the games they were suppose to win and won district doing it. Do I think the coach from OF and Sils are good? You bet I do. Do I think they out coached Sutherland during District 21-3A? Not even close!!!!

I think if you look at the 21-3A teams you will see that the teams other than HJ-SILS-OF were not as strong as everyone predicted earlier in the season. I know I was surprised when HJ played them. So, was it really exceptional caoching by OF that got them the wins over these teams or was OF the 3rd best team in the District from the beginning because of their talent. Also, remember the 30 point loss to Silsbee late in the year at OF. The main reason given for the OF coach to win has been based off early predictions and where their team ended up. On the other hand Silsbee was predicted by many to beat HJ (review the thread from the tie-breaker game at the montagne center) and HJ beat them by over 20. Weren't they predicted to either win or come in second in district at the beginning of the season. They lost to HJ by double figures twice and won 1 game by 2 points at Silsbee. The word on the street early on was HJ could not stop their quick guards, but they did!! The only reason given for Sutherland not to win the award was because he had the most talent. Whether some HJ games were close or not is irrevelant. Whether HJ players were hurt during the season is also irrelevant. You still have to put your players in a position to win each night and no-one does or did that better than Sutherland. You can try to justify him not getting the award all day long but I think anyone that looks at the district as a whole will see that Sutherland is the coach that most would want directing their program because of exactly what HJ did on the court this year. HJ won the games they were suppose to win and won district doing it. Do I think the coach from OF and Sils are good? You bet I do. Do I think they out coached Sutherland during District 21-3A? Not even close!!!!

;D  8)

So informer, who would you take away from OF and there be nothing to discuss.  If you can take away one person from those two teams and the whole dynamic change, then who would you take away from OF.  Maybe you can't come up with one.  Maybe that is why the OF coach should be coach of the year.  He doesn't have just one player that takes over.

Really now.  You don't think if Hayes is taken away from OF their dynamic changes?  Seriously?

I took the quote regarding Benard and Robinson as shots at the coaches that if they did not have those players they would not be in the discussion for coach of they year.  My point was that you could say that about any coach if you take away his best player.

My response was completely tongue in cheek.

Shackbully you made a point to talk about how OF got blown out by Silsbee one game in district, yet said "Whether some HJ games were close or not is irrevelant". How can the fact that Silsbee got beat twice by HJ by 20 and OF got blown out by Silsbee once matter, but HJ barely beats WOS, Jasper, and OF and it is irrelevant.  That makes no sense.  You can't use the scores to compare only when it is good for your team.

Shackbully you made a point to talk about how OF got blown out by Silsbee one game in district, yet said "Whether some HJ games were close or not is irrevelant". How can the fact that Silsbee got beat twice by HJ by 20 and OF got blown out by Silsbee once matter, but HJ barely beats WOS, Jasper, and OF and it is irrelevant.  That makes no sense.  You can't use the scores to compare only when it is good for your team.

Not intended to be that way. My thinking when writing this was refering to late in the season when all the teams know who each other is. Have played each other numerous times and knew what to expect. At that point is when I think coaching plays an even bigger role. This is when the coaches have a good idea what the other team is going to do and they say this is how I'm going to stop them and win the next game. By that standard look at the previous 2 Sils/OF games and compare them to the last. The Silsbee coach's did well in putting their team in a position to win the game big. You can look at the previous HJ/Silsb games and compare to the last game that was played at a neutral site. For that matter look at the last HJ/Sils game scores, the score at half time 30-30 and the final 74-52. That's coaching!!!

I am not trying to belittle any of the coaches. Just looking at the end of the year and what each one accomplished. Now, I do give OF alot of credit for beating Jasper 2 in a row at the end of the season but I also thought OF was better than Jasper too. This was not a discredit to your team or coach. It was giving you credit for being as good as you are.

I believe he was trying to explain why the Assistant was doing most of the coaching.  People were dogging Williams and they were trying to explain some stuff.  Maybe the matter is personal and doesn't need to be talked about specifically.  The reason the Silsbee Assistant is doing most of the coaching is because of personal reasons.  Leave it at that.  None of your business.

Gained alot of respect for Coach Ray tonight.  He had his team very prepared tonight and they fought hard until the end.  This guy is a great coach and he will only get better.  Great job this season and only better things will come.  OF has alot to be proud about and things will only get better for this program in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder