BREAKING NEWS....WOW

Guest DickVitale

Hmmmm...I wonder if this were about lil Johnny from say......PNG...and he was a big time baseball recruit with a bad tude.....Would these same folks want him banned for life? hmmmmm...Or would they say, "give the kid a break!"...makes you think.. ::)

Like clock work. Can always count on you for posting things like this.

Yeah, but you know it's the truth..Maybe not with YOU, but people feel different ways about folks that don't look like them. You can act like it does not exist all you want, but you know whats real.

Same OLD song. How long is that song going to play? Does it exist, yes it does but not like you think. It exist in all races. I for one don't see color. I see the person. Times have changed. You say people want to see him fail. You are missing the big picture. If you help a kid up everytime then how will he learn to get up by himself. I love to see anybody do well and prosper. But sometime you have hit rock bottom, then pick your self back up. How many chances are will willing to give? Hopefully this kid will go to college and it will change his whole life for the better.

While I am totally for tough love and making sure that our young people understand and learn from their mistakes, I do believe that it's easier to judge on these things from the outside looking in.  Until you live in a district that has some of the issues that some of the other school districts have, then it's really hard to understand the big picture.  That being said, I think a lot of times, these things aren't racial, but many times there is a socioeconomic factor that many who aren't there really can't understand.

If the young man messed up and has done what was asked of him to get back on the team and the powers-that-be set a time table that has been complete, then let him play because he's "done his time".  If that time-table is somehow manipulated or was left vague in order to manipulate the situation, then you have to stick to what the punishment was meant to be because you are setting a very important example to the kids who are still there and the kids to come.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

YES, bleed, but he is not an adult yet....he's just a kid...Kids need CONSTANT helping hands, because some take longer than others to 'Get it'...HE IS A 17 YEAR OLD KID....Lets not lose sight of that fact....

What Jasper team won district? When Red Bryant and the other big Jasper (Jorie Adams) kid played basketball they were in OUR district back in 2001...Maybe that was Red's Sophomore year, but I remember those two BIG horses...What you did was admirable, and it was a good thing that he got it...But, what if that had happened on the football field where he was a REAL STUD?  If J'Covan had been put off of the cross country team, we would not even think about it...Red's FUTURE was in FOOTBALL...There is a difference.

Dang Dickie! You making me proud of you, boy! M&W did some good child rearing with you and L. ;)  Good response.

Guest bleed orange

YES, bleed, but he is not an adult yet....he's just a kid...Kids need CONSTANT helping hands, because some take longer than others to 'Get it'...HE IS A 17 YEAR OLD KID....Lets not lose sight of that fact....

I understand and I would like nothing more than for this kid to right the ship and be successfull in life. I have that wish for every kid. But on the flip side, at what age do they become adults. People will say 21. I disagree because some of them act the same as they did at 18. You know, that's the age when kids think their parents are stupid and don't know anything.

I quess I can officially be called "old school" because I wouldn't care if "Lil Johhny" were as white as rice,when he pulled his jersey off and left my team on the court his season would have been over end of story.I sincerely hope JB succeeds at the next level and returns to PAM to let the kids know it's possible to make mistakes and grow from them.I for one have a hard time with the socioeconomic arguement in this particular case,if the young man could afford to go to Kelly his family can't be destitute.Got to hand it to you Dickie,you certainly know how to creat a topic.I think you and I could actually agree on a few things about the game.I enjoy your post immensely.

Actually it WAS relevant to the thread..My point was that people on here are so quick to judge and throw this kid to the wolves, I was wondering if it were a kid from another demographic, how would they feel then?...You know what the answer would be for most, and the jealous cowards who feel that way would NEVER admit it...You KNOW I am telling the truth, too, Aggie..There are some who just HATE to see an "urban" kid prosper, and they will do whatever they can to knock him down, instead of encouraging him to reach his full potential.

Is this really gonna be allowed.  This is an insulting and disgraceful statement to ascertain that the people who post here and reserve their opinion on this matter to be different than yours is a racist.  Keep your hate to yourself.  Don't try and spread it.

I really don't understand why he shouldn't get a second chance whether he's little johnny or little inner city kid if he took his punishment and did what he was supposed to then what is the argument? I think the question you'll are arguing about is whether he served his entire punishment or whether the rules were changed to allow him to play in the playoffs. If that were the case then the little johnny thing would definately be somthing to consider....NOT this isn't about little johnny this is about Jcovan

I don't even know what he did, but in Texas your an adult at 17 and you can vote and fight in a war at 18. Maybe he's inmature for his age, but 17, 18 your a young ADULT. Anyways with that said let'em play whatever he did must not be too bad if he's still in school.

BTW, I don't think anyone on here is trying to hold anyone down, DickVitale I like most of your comments, but I don't think anyone is trying be hard on the kid on this board because he's Urban or whatever.

Guest stevenash

I heard that Latrell Sprewell had his house foreclosed upon recently in spite of 93 million in career basketball earnings.  Shouldn't he get one more chance?

Guest DickVitale

Actually it WAS relevant to the thread..My point was that people on here are so quick to judge and throw this kid to the wolves, I was wondering if it were a kid from another demographic, how would they feel then?...You know what the answer would be for most, and the jealous cowards who feel that way would NEVER admit it...You KNOW I am telling the truth, too, Aggie..There are some who just HATE to see an "urban" kid prosper, and they will do whatever they can to knock him down, instead of encouraging him to reach his full potential.

Is this really gonna be allowed.  This is an insulting and disgraceful statement to ascertain that the people who post here and reserve their opinion on this matter to be different than yours is a racist.  Keep your hate to yourself.  Don't try and spread it.

Don't be naive...You know good and well that I am speaking the truth on this issue..I say what others on here are afraid to say...YOU may not feel that way, but believe me, its out there.

Guest stevenash

Dicky- Since you are demanding honesty, why don't you participate?  You said that certain people want to "knock him down".  You know very well that it wasn't necessary for those "certain people" to do that because he has DONE IT TO HIMSELF REPEATEDLY.  And yes, I think most people would NOT defend his actions if he were a Pt. Neches player.  Being "urban" does not excuse one from their societal responsibilities nor does it lessen them.  Michael Vick paid a price for his crime not because he was urban but because he committed the crime.  Those that promoted the idea that he was from an upbringing where "his crime"  was a way of life and therefore his actions were somehow less offensive, failed miserably in that attempt.  What effect do you believe being urban had on the O.J. Simpson case?

Guest DickVitale

Dicky- Since you are demanding honesty, why don't you participate?  You said that certain people want to "knock him down".  You know very well that it wasn't necessary for those "certain people" to do that because he has DONE IT TO HIMSELF REPEATEDLY.  And yes, I think most people would NOT defend his actions if he were a Pt. Neches player.  Being "urban" does not excuse one from their societal responsibilities nor does it lessen them.  Michael Vick paid a price for his crime not because he was urban but because he committed the crime.  Those that promoted the idea that he was from an upbringing where "his crime"  was a way of life and therefore his actions were somehow less offensive, failed miserably in that attempt.  What effect do you believe being urban had on the O.J. Simpson case?

Yeah I have a response to that.....Uhhhh...WHAT? OJ Simpson? Vick? What does THAT have to do with ANYTHING we are discussing? I have never defended his ACTIONS, nor have I said that his punishment was NOT justified...If you think that EVERYONE on here is pulling for that kid to do well, you are SADLY mistaken...And THAT is a sad fact. 

I heard that Latrell Sprewell had his house foreclosed upon recently in spite of 93 million in career basketball earnings.  Shouldn't he get one more chance?

I often wonder about situations like this. He may have had his house foreclosed and we're thinking he's broke, well he may be broke for his current lifestyle he's living. But the man may have one million in the bank.

Guest DickVitale

I often wonder about situations like this. He may have had his house foreclosed and we're thinking he's broke, well he may be broke for his current lifestyle he's living. But the man may have one million in the bank.

And certain people hate that fact, as well..They don't want to see that man with that kind of money...It angers some folks..why, you ask?...I wonder.....truth. ::);)

And certain people hate that fact, as well..They don't want to see that man with that kind of money...It angers some folks..why, you ask?...I wonder.....truth. ::);)

Dicky your going to be a famous philosoph when your gone. ;)