BREAKING NEWS....WOW

Guest DickVitale

I don't know the real effect but I will take Central 2001 team (if Dickie lets me!)... Was pretty much butter to make a strong run against HISD (except maybe willowridge)...  They lost their best player Dominique Young to injury (would have entered district leading in scoring 24 points per game) in December...  He returned for the play-offs... The team never looked in-sinc. In the third round they played Aldine Nimitz (a team they blew out by twenty in December)...  This team played them to an overtime win...  Through-out district that Jaguar team began to play even better without Dominique, but upon his return they could not put it together...

Now this Memorial team is not as good as that Jaguar team and Dominique may not be as good as J Brown... But you get my drift... Chemistry... This sport is all about Chemistry!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not judging.  I am going on what information was made available to the public and that was that he was suspended for the year.

How happy do you think those kids are today?

Based on their record and performance without him versus with him, you may want to rethink that question.

Anybody with HALF of a brain would understand that that team is better WITH him on it...Those kids are estatic to have a shot at the playoffs WITH him...Don't fool yourself.

Those kids always did follow J Brown... for good or bad...  So I know they are way over-joyed!!!

Guest DickVitale

I don't know the real effect but I will take Central 2001 team (if Dickie lets me!)... Was pretty much butter to make a strong run against HISD (except maybe willowridge)...  They lost their best player Dominique Young to injury (would have entered district leading in scoring 24 points per game) in December...  He returned for the play-offs... The team never looked in-sinc. In the third round they played Aldine Nimitz (a team they blew out by twenty in December)...  This team played them to an overtime win...  Through-out district that Jaguar team began to play even better without Dominique, but upon his return they could not put it together...

Now this Memorial team is not as good as that Jaguar team and Dominique may not be as good as J Brown... But you get my drift... Chemistry... This sport is all about Chemistry!!!!!!!!!

So, if Lebron left the Cavs for personal reasons for 2 months, and came back in June just as the playoffs began, would not the Cavs be BETTER once he returns? I understand chemistry and all but that kid can CHANGE A GAME...Young from Central was NOT a game changer, though he was a key player for Central..Love him or hate him, J'Covan is a special player.

So, if Lebron left the Cavs for personal reasons for 2 months, and came back in June just as the playoffs began, would not the Cavs be BETTER once he returns? I understand chemistry and all but that kid can CHANGE A GAME...Young from Central was NOT a game changer, though he was a key player for Central..Love him or hate him, J'Covan is a special player.

OK COOL... The JBROWN/YOUNG comparison was a bit off but so was the LEBRON/J BROWN comparison.. lol ::) 

Guest nostradamus

First, I wish the kid well.  He is a talent, there is no doubting that.  However, your comparison with Lebron is not in the same ball park.  How are leaving a team for personal reasons and being punished for acting in a manner that is disrepsectful to your team, coach, and school (for a second time) the same?  Easy answer, they are not?

A more fair comparison may be what if Rasheed Wallace were suspended for failure to improve his attitude and therefore a failure to cut down on the number of technical fouls he received?  What if Wallace had been warned and punished in every other way and yet nothing seemed to work so he is finally suspended and the Pistons announce that he is suspended for the year?  Then, at the last moment before the playoffs the Pistons decide to reinstate him.

Bottom line is, perhaps the punishment should have been more thought out before they decided on saying it was for the year.  Now it looks very very bad and appears as if there is a double standard for those who are more talented than others.  What if this were the #11 player on the team?  Would he be allowed back?  No one will ever know ALL the reasons for kicking him off or letting him back.  The timing and backtracking on a previous statement make it look shaky at best and that is not good when you consider setting a precedent for the future of your program.

Guest DickVitale

The comparison to Lebron had to do with his statement about team CHEMISTRY...I do, however, understand YOUR points, although you guys are struggling to understand mine...Do I think he deserves the McDonalds Invite? No. Do I feel like he should be allowed back if the coach says so? absolutely...We don't know ALL of the specifics, but just speaking from a human/compassion perspective, I am happy for the kids, especially if they are all happy about his return.

Guest DickVitale

i think this could be a huge momentum swing for PA now that thier team knows they are good enough to make the playoffs without him adding him is just an added boost

YES...I have been saying that ALL THREAD LONG! :D

I agree with nostradamus.  It is a double standard.  What if memorial does not have a shot at the play offs, do the reinstate him? Doubt it.

Say a less talented kid goes through the same thing.  Comes time for the play offs, does he get reinstated? Again i doubt.

No doubt this kid can make or break this team.

Guest DickVitale

Fact is everyone ASSUMED the suspension was for the year...We do not know the specifics..2nd fact is he is not the last guy off the bench...He is a nationally ranked prospect, that has had some problems throughout his young career.  Why is everyone so ready to just throw this kid away, and be content with it? He deserves a chance to get it right at this young age.  Once again, we do not know the specifics, but, I am happy for the kid.  He gets another chance...Is that not what this life is about? Learn life lessons, go at it again, and try not to make the same mistakes that got you there in the first place...I will bet you he is DONE getting techs in high school...Lesson learned...success...Way to go coach!

Too many kids today don't realize it's a privelege to get to play high school basketball,it's not a right.I honestly feel sorry for this young man but the fact remains that he quit on his team.He alone made the decision to get up and leave the bench while his team was still playing a basketball game.At that moment he made a choice,be it good or bad, that he should be held accountable for.It's a shame for a kid with that kind of talent to not be able to showcase it but that choice was his ,not the coach or his teamates.I have no doubt the young man is one of the best players in the nation but in a team concept he should be treated no different than the last guy off the bench.

Guest bleed orange

Too many kids today don't realize it's a privelege to get to play high school basketball,it's not a right.I honestly feel sorry for this young man but the fact remains that he quit on his team.He alone made the decision to get up and leave the bench while his team was still playing a basketball game.At that moment he made a choice,be it good or bad, that he should be held accountable for.It's a shame for a kid with that kind of talent to not be able to showcase it but that choice was his ,not the coach or his teamates.I have no doubt the young man is one of the best players in the nation but in a team concept he should be treated no different than the last guy off the bench.

Great post. Whsalum you impress me. How many chances do you give a kid? Example, let say you are paying for your kid to go to college. How many classes do you let him fail before you quit paying for it? It happened to me and my kid is on his own. I don't pay for his college, cell phone or insurance. Tough love is what it is called. I don't fell sorry for JB he made is own choices now he must live with them. That's life. Wrong call on Memorial part but why does not suprise me. I never heard once that he apologized to his teamates. They are the ones he let down not the coach.

My thoughts exactly bleed orange. His teamates had to be thrilled when he came back from Kelly only to leave them hanging in the middle of the season.The kids that stayed the coarse have earned the right to play in the play-in game,the one that quit forfeited that right.I hope the young man suceeds at the next level but his high school playing days should be over.

Nos, WHS, and BleedOrange I really have to agree with all your points.  For all the other guys, I totally understand the other side of the coin, but like WHS said, its a privilege, not a God given right to play HS athletics. 

But I will say this, like Dickey V said, we don't know all the specifics.  I really have a feeling there is a lot of crazy things that are going into this circus they call "RECRUITING".  But at the end of the day, JB was pulling these stunts way before he showed up at Memorial and started playing under Henderson.

Guest ECBucFan

Why is everyone so ready to just throw this kid away, and be content with it?......  He gets another chance

He threw himself away, lets be realistic here, please.  ::)

Yet another chance? Geeze, how many more "chances" should he get? 

As a teacher, it is heartbreaking when you find out what some of our troubled youth actually go home to.

I don't know of this young man's home life, but as educators we are really seeing how the family unit breaking down is effecting our young citizens.

Many of them really don't have a good chance of succeeding as an adult, much less in a marriage and family.

There used to be a thing called commitment.

Our youth are being raised without this character trait.

Look at the number of foreclosures in the US.

Some of these are from a lack of commitment to pay off the loan.

This whole situation is just another link in the chain of a crumbling US society.

When it boils down to it, you really have to trust the coach and his higher ups in this decision to allow the young man to return.  As a college coach, I would be very hestitant of allowing someone with these past actions to play on my team, as an NBA executive, you got to think of the same thing.  Walking off the court and quiting your team is not something you do if you have a desire to play in the next level.

Well Henderson made a laundry list of things Ja'Covian had to do before hge was to be reinstated, including anger management classes...  Appareently he had done everything asked of him by early to mid January...  Henderson did not reinstatae him according to J Brown's father in a quote from the Austin Statesman Newspaper...  

So this meant he complied with Henderson and he chose not to reinstate him and prolong his punishment...  So in all actuallity his punishment was harsh and hard...  If he has forfilled his obligations then why is reinstating him so wrong.  I wish the kid the best... Stop trying to chastise him as if he were an adult, he is a child and children make mistakes.  I still question chemistry but I don't question reinstatement! ;)

All this time everyone was talking about how great the coach was for sticking to his guns when he suspended him indefinitely from the team.  Actually the school board had enough of the bad pub. for P.A. and they were the ones who made the decision to not let him play.  It wasn't the coach.  I just wonder why now he can play. Who would have thought. I wonder how the rest of the team who has been busting their tails all year and actually got in the playoffs without him feels about this.  I would be ticked.  But everyone else on here seems to think thats o.k. Back to the win at all costs attitude. Let's not teach our youth how to become good citizens, lets just worry about their athletic talent.  And don't give me that bull about second chances.  He has been this way since jr. high.  Only todays coaches are more worried about the win then teaching kids right from wrong.  This problem started long ago and should have been fixed long ago. 

As a teacher and a coach, I can say this....  It is our job to NEVER quit on a kid!  I have put in I don't know how many hours with him and his older brother and am proud of the steps that we made.  (even if the improvement is not noticible)  He will get it together eventually.... Rome wasn't built overnight.

My point is this..... while it may seem like a "win at all cost" attitude.... it is actually using something that is dear to him to reach him.  (At least that was how I approached it.) 

Lay off the kid!  You are not him, you are not on his team, and you are not his coach...... let it rest.

GOOD LUCK PAM, AND GOOD LUCK JBROWN!

PS show me your teeth!

-Coach Fogo

Let the kid play! Fogo sounds like my son's AAU coach. My son's team has a bad apple on the team and he is the star of the team and apparently has a bad home situation too. The kid throws temper tantrums but he isn't learning about consequences. At least Brown has suffered  :-\ a little bit, and you always want to believe a kid or a person is learning from their mistakes. Something in the back of my mind says, " the kid can get better."