*Lamar vs. NW State/LU WINS 91-82/COMMENTS*

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abovetherim

About time Jay Brown is playing well. If you guys remember about two months ago I said Jay Brown would be a key to our success this year. I was starting to wonder?

Guest coachacola

These JUCO players are finally coming around and playing up to their talent level.  It seems every game there's someone new stepping up and making a difference.

Guest abovetherim

Well said coachacola. That will make us hard to beat especially at home. A total team effort and I hope they fan's show up for the McNeese game to show appreciation for the way the team is playing. I know there is a big event in Port Arthur starting next weekend but the game will end about 9pm so there is plenty of time to celebrate another game victory down on Proctor Street!  8)

Thats right  ;D.

Another good road win. I think we can win the East if we can get by SELA... don't forget about nicholls too but i'm not sure how they're doing in conference.

4-1. I'll take it. :D

Guest abovetherim

ROSTER | SCHEDULE/RESULTS | NEWS | ARCHIVES

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Jay Brown scored 15 points and grabbed five rebounds - both season-highs - against Northwestern State Saturday.

Dawkins, Brown Lead Lamar Past Northwestern State, 91-82

Cards snap seven-game losing streak to Demons

Jan. 26, 2008

NATCHITOCHES, La. - Kenny Dawkins scored 18 points and dished out nine assists, while Jay Brown added a season-high 15 points off the bench as Lamar defeated Northwestern State, 91-82, to end a seven-game losing streak to the Demons on Saturday afternoon.

Lamar (10-8, 4-1 Southland) also got 15 points from Darren Hopkins and 13 from Matthew Barrow in addition to seven rebounds from each. The Cardinals got excellent production from their bench to the tune of 35 points on 12-of-21 shooting and 16 rebounds.

The Cardinals continued their strong offensive board work with 20 rebounds that they turned into 14 points. Lamar also scored 32 points off 22 NSU turnovers, with many of their 23 fast break points coming in transition.

Lamar held a 42-29 rebounding edge.

For NSU (7-13, 3-3 Southland), Trey Gilder led the team with 24 points and seven rebounds as they dropped their third-consecutive game. The Demons shot 63 percent in the first half before finishing the game at 51 percent.

Lamar made five of first seven baskets in jumping out to a 14-5 lead before NSU went on a 13-0 run to claim a 22-19 edge with 11:11 left. Later in the half Lamar got a pair of baskets from Hopkins on a three in the corner and a fast break layup to take a 34-33 lead with 7:00. Dawkins followed with one of his three first-half steals and layup to make it a 36-33 game.

NSU took a 43-42 lead on a Michael McConathy bucket after a turnover with 3:04, but consecutive McThay fast break layups gave the lead right back to the Cardinals 46-43. Lamar went into the locker room with a 50-47 lead.

The Demons opened the half on an 8-2 run to take a 55-52 lead. The Cardinals then went on an 22-4 run to take their biggest lead of the game at 74-59. The run featured seven points from Barrow and five apiece from Dawkins and Nabors. 

Then NSU started its comeback. The Demons put together a pair of 7-0 runs and trimmed the Cardinal lead to 83-80 on a Gilder three-point play with 2:55 remaining. Dawkins made a jumper in the lane before Colby Bargeman answered with a jumper of his own and that was the last time NSU would score. Dawkins made a layup and a pair of free throw, followed by a pair of freebies from Brown to close out the scoring.

Lamar will have a week off before playing host to McNeese State in a doubleheader with the Cardinal and Cowgirl women on Saturday at the Montagne Center. The women's game is scheduled to tip-off at 4 p.m. with the men to follow at 7 p.m.

http://lamarcardinals.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012608aaa.html

A run and gun style of play definitely more fun to watch than a defensive game, but LU's lack of defense does have me a little concerned.

I guess it's ok to run and gun in the SLC but the only way we will beat the better programs in the country (like top 75 teams) is to play defense.  Don't get me wrong...I love run and gun but we need to stop the other team from scoring so easily.

That said...I'm enjoying this start to the conference.  When was the last time we started the conference 4-1?  Does anyone know??

Wow, we win with our best player having a poor game. I'll take it!!!!!

Beating NWSU at their place is a big win for us.  I was concerned heading into this game with the way we played at UCA.  I hope our guys aren't forgetting how to play defense but this is a very good start to SLC play.  Things may start to get a little exciting again at the Monatagne??????  I sure hope so.  Hopefully I'll be able to make our next home game.

Guest coachacola

Lamar does force a lot of turnovers and basically wears down the other team.  Also Lamar is the best offensive team in the SLC right now and that's why they are winning.

That said...I'm enjoying this start to the conference.  When was the last time we started the conference 4-1?  Does anyone know??

Lamar start 5-1 back in 2006 and finished 9-7 in conference.  They finished 17-14 that year, falling to a good Northwestern State in the SLC tourney.  That's the year NW State beat Iowa in the NCAA tourney.

In 2000 Lamar also started conference play 4-1 but ended up 8-10.  And that's the year they won the SLC tourney and played Duke in the NCAA tourney.

Lamar does force a lot of turnovers and basically wears down the other team.  Also Lamar is the best offensive team in the SLC right now and that's why they are winning.

Lamar start 5-1 back in 2006 and finished 9-7 in conference.  They finished 17-14 that year, falling to a good Northwestern State in the SLC tourney.  That's the year NW State beat Iowa in the NCAA tourney.

In 2000 Lamar also started conference play 4-1 but ended up 8-10.  And that's the year they won the SLC tourney and played Duke in the NCAA tourney.

Very interesting.  I did not realize the 2006 team started out that well.  If I remember correctly, that was a pretty talented team (that played absolutely NO defense).

And the 2000 team...Mike Deane.  That was the team that probably had our best offensive player in the last 20 years...Landon Rowe.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin