If you could pick one coach and one player...

Guest DickVitale

Ag is 100% correct.  Shaq's 3A San Antonio Cole team should be the posterboys for that example!!  They won it in 1989 with Shaq and a bunch of little guys that made sure that he got his touches...He was still the "Big Aristotle" then he was just MUCH slimmer!! :D...I also remember Moulton having a 6'4 kid that could play inside and out on the 1A level and he really dominated the game...On the 4A/5A level, it is very different.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first of all, enrollment is a big issue, obviously...I mean of course the more students you have, the more chances you have of having, a 'giant'. I really dont quite understand, its as if its something in the water in the small towns and communities that stunts players growths?. But all seriousness, It is very rare for a 1A team to have someone over the height of 6'4-6'5. And from my observation, the taller players in 1A, sometimes are very very uncordinated. But in 1A if a team has a some what mediocre but slightly athletic BIG man, they have the advantage from the beginning.

What do you think CATMAN?

I know BS' hasnt been blessed with 6'7 beast, now or anytime soon. lol

McKinney I would consider a beast. (great Player) I will call him MINI-Beast!

Ag is 100% correct.  Shaq's 3A San Antonio Cole team should be the posterboys for that example!!  They won it in 1989 with Shaq and a bunch of little guys that made sure that he got his touches...He was still the "Big Aristotle" then he was just MUCH slimmer!! :D...I also remember Moulton having a 6'4 kid that could play inside and out on the 1A level and he really dominated the game...On the 4A/5A level, it is very different.

Say Dicky, that player you are thinking about is Robert Tovar. He started for them all four years in high school, winning the state title his soph and junior years, lost in semis is freshman year and lost in the finals his senior year. He made all tourney all 4 years.

Guest nostradamus

I would say this:

Go ask any high school coach this question,

If you had your choice to start your team today, would you pick a dominant guard or a dominant post?

I guarantee you, 99.9% of coaches would choose the guard to start their team.

Say Dicky, that player you are thinking about is Robert Tovar. He started for them all four years in high school, winning the state title his soph and junior years, lost in semis is freshman year and lost in the finals his senior year. He made all tourney all 4 years.

Yeah he played against Brookeland in '99. Gave the wildcats the only lose of the year in the state championship.

DR. HOOPS-08 Do you have a answer why 1A schools dint have any real big kids

school size is a big issue... if you only have 60 boys in the whole school to chose from, as opposed to 1600, obviously you're not going to have as many big men... another thing that probably plays a factor is that anyone who is tall and dominant in basketball is going to transfer to a bigger school.  you get basically no recognition in 1A basketball, even if you're amazing.  if you're tall, you have to move up in classification and compete against other quality big men so that you can get your name out to colleges.

Guest DickVitale

::)...Oh boy....(sigh)..Hey, I WISH we would have played HJ or Kountze, or Silsbee, or Evadale, when I was in high school....60 at the end of the third!! ;D...(I'm joking guys)...really about 45 or 50!! ;D

::)...Oh boy....(sigh)..Hey, I WISH we would have played HJ or Kountze, or Silsbee, or Evadale, when I was in high school....60 at the end of the third!! ;D...(I'm joking guys)...really about 45 or 50!! ;D

That's got me wondering, what high school did you play for and what years? Was it Yates?

Guest DickVitale

That's got me wondering, what high school did you play for and what years? Was it Yates?

:o....No way!! Those used to be be fighting words, man!! ;D..I played at Madison, and Yates was our crosstown rival!! I played from 88-92.

:o....No way!! Those used to be be fighting words, man!! ;D..I played at Madison, and Yates was our crosstown rival!! I played from 88-92.

Oh, okay. Home of the 1984 class 5A state basketball champions, Sean Gay and co. Man that was a great team.

Sorry about the Yates thing. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin