If you could pick one coach and one player...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

So let me get this right....With Boutte, he is great due to great talent, and Sutherland is just a heck of a coach?  Is that the assumption?..Just asking..By the way, I think Todd is one heck of a coach, and a good guy too...for the record.

So let me get this right....With Boutte, he is great due to great talent, and Sutherland is just a heck of a coach?  Is that the assumption?..Just asking..By the way, I think Todd is one heck of a coach, and a good guy too...for the record.

I think he was saying that Coach Boutte is the best coach and Tramain is the most talented coachable player in the area.

Boutte and Sutherland are very similar....they have always been where there is very good talent.

Boutte usually has more talent so it does make his job a little easier.  Sutherland has to teach his players a little more about the game.

Both are great coaches and have had incredible careers and hopefully both will continue until they retire at the schools that they are currently at.

Comparing apples to apples......give each coach the same kids and Sutherland will get more out of them then Boutte will.

Guest DickVitale

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  How do you figure that Sutherland would get the "most" out of his players given the same guys? How in the heck do you gage that?  Just say both are great and leave it at that...Zeek, that was a dumb comment.

Guest DickVitale

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but once again how do you gage who is better between the two? Championships? It's 3 to 2 Boutte....Final Four appearances?? It's 9 to 3 Boutte...District titles? Boutte wins that one again...Players that have played on college rosters? How about the NBA? Wins? Boutte again...What are you using to gage it?

Who does more with less. Thats how I gauge it. I think Boutte is a good coach, I just don't think he is as good as Sutherland.Sutherland has never had "that I know of" an NBA talent on his team, and just like you said How many D1 prospects, bluechips any of that but yet he still wins day in and day out, I do not think that if your guy had the same kind of talent he would do as good, Not saying he is a bad coach becuase he is not, but as Lazeek said earlier I'm glad to have them both in our area,  I just think that Todd gets more done with less every year.

Guest DickVitale

D-1 talent does NOT show up to the campus as D-1 or NBA talent...That is the great mis-conception about the Ozen program.  Great players are developed, NOT born great. DEVELOPED.  At the 3A level, do not fool yourself, Todd has been head and shoulders talent wise above other 3A and below programs...Ryan Donahoe was a legitimate talent. He also had a 6-9 at the 3A level last season.  That is like 7-5 at that level!.I will venture to say that Todd DEVELOPED those kids..But they show up great at Ozen according to you guys, right?..Come on, man....Lets call a spade a spade.  

The bottom line is this...........

You said it is my opinion...It is so leave it at that!!!!!!

I did not question your comments about Boutte, I just said Sutherland is better.  You can't compare because they have never coached in the same classification at the same time.

Another thing that is my opinion is that Ozen always has and will have more talent than any other program in SE Texas.  They win because of that and the fact that they have Boutte.

Other schools in the area are relying on the talent that they have and good coaching....For Example: (HJ, EC, Kountze and West Hardin).  Even the best player on these 4 teams would not start and might not even play for Ozen.  So don't tell me the talent is the same.

Once again if both had the same team Sutherland would get more out of his players than Boutte would.

Tramain Thomas would be the player. Its arguable that he's the best player in the area but I've watched him play in a lot of games and its never him the coach is repeatedly having to tell what to do. What that means to me is he doesnt have such a big head that he doesnt listen to the coach. Thats what I would call coachable talent.

As far as best coach Ben West is a good one dont know about the best.

The bottom line is this...........

You said it is my opinion...It is so leave it at that!!!!!!

I did not question your comments about Boutte, I just said Sutherland is better.  You can't compare because they have never coached in the same classification at the same time.

Another thing that is my opinion is that Ozen always has and will have more talent than any other program in SE Texas.  They win because of that and the fact that they have Boutte.

Other schools in the area are relying on the talent that they have and good coaching....For Example: (HJ, EC, Kountze and West Hardin).  Even the best player on these 4 teams would not start and might not even play for Ozen.  So don't tell me the talent is the same.

Once again if both had the same team Sutherland would get more out of his players than Boutte would.

I like the points you've made

D-1 talent does NOT show up to the campus as D-1 or NBA talent...That is the great mis-conception about the Ozen program.  Great players are developed, NOT born great. DEVELOPED.  At the 3A level, do not fool yourself, Todd has been head and shoulders talent wise above other 3A and below programs...Ryan Donahoe was a legitimate talent. He also had a 6-9 at the 3A level last season.  That is like 7-5 at that level!.I will venture to say that Todd DEVELOPED those kids..But they show up great at Ozen according to you guys, right?..Come on, man....Lets call a spade a spade.  

exactly bcuz kendrick perkins didnt become good until boutee started working with him.......................n where is he now from the works of boutee...........in the league so looks like boutee is getting more out of his players to me dont ya think??

Guest DickVitale

So if you say in one sentence that you can't compare them due to not being in the same classification, then in the next paragraph proclaim that given the same talent Todd would get more out of them is just.....dumb.  Actually it is a slap in the face to Boutte if you ask me.  Let me ask you this...would Wade Phillips (Cowboys) get more out of his guys than Tony Dungy would? Oh, I get it Wade is ----- and Tony is -----, so therefore in YOUR mind Wade would be better....OK, NOW I get it! ::)...Gimme a break.

Guest catfever

Didn't they both coach at Kountze.  Same type of athletes.  Yes, different kids, but same type of athletes.  How are they comparable there.  How long were they there?  Records? State Championships?

Guest DickVitale

Can't compare that either, because Boutte was not at Kountze long enough, after being hired there right out of college.  He was there for 2 seasons before taking over at PA Lincoln in 1989. Kountze won district both years and went a couple of rounds in the playoffs in 88 and 89.  Sutherland has never beaten him head to head either.  Todd is a heck of a coach, but I don't understand how people can throw out statements like he gets "more" out of less in class 3A and 2A...You can't compare that to what Andre has done in 4A for the past 18 years.  It just doesn't make good sense.

So if you say in one sentence that you can't compare them due to not being in the same classification, then in the next paragraph proclaim that given the same talent Todd would get more out of them is just.....dumb.  Actually it is a slap in the face to Boutte if you ask me.  Let me ask you this...would Wade Phillips (Cowboys) get more out of his guys than Tony Dungy would? Oh, I get it Wade is ----- and Tony is -----, so therefore in YOUR mind Wade would be better....OK, NOW I get it! ::)...Gimme a break.

That is about the typical answer that I thought that I would get from someone with your mentallity.  Has nothing to do with race, creed or anything else.  Remember you are the one that brought race into it.  You are getting your panties in a knot because of my opinion....you have opinions and I have yet to question it.  So why question mine? 

Guest DickVitale

My mentality? What is THAT supposed to mean? I just call a spade a spade.  I guarantee that my call on the matter is not far from on the money as it pertains to this topic.  This is evident in what you addressed in your response. I NEVER said anything about race, and you assumed that is what I was refferring to without actually asking me what was meant by the blanks.  I have very high respect for Todd and for what he has accomplished as a coach, but on the flip side, you respect what Boutte has accomplished, because, they are obvious, but, you continue to add "asteriks" to what has been accomplished by making statements like.."with more talent".  If you cannot understand that, then it is beyond your understanding.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin