Multi-Sport Athletes

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

It's an unfortunate injury, but in my opinion, the athlete should participate in any and all activities required of the respective teams they play on, as long as physically able. 

Sweet.. then you believe baseball players who play football should be mandated to play fall baseball in football season?..

1 hour ago, hookem14 said:

Preston Riggs did not play baseball. He was All-State in football, soccer, and track. 

Correct.. Riggs never played baseball.. In fact, if memory serves my right, didn't that PNG State winning team have their top 2 pitchers quit football their SR. year?? 

Bottom line.....

No kid should be Mandated to play any off season sport if they are playing another sport... Its not fair to  ALL the kids that are playing their in season sport. (Again we are not talking about lifting and agility)

With the new UIL rules with sport specific summer workouts.. Each sport gets 1 hour a day of sport specific all summer long.. That is 2 strait month of practice.. If a AD/Head football coach can not get his team ready... that's on him 

Just now, hitman009 said:

Yep!! You usually don't hear much about it cause baseball coaches will not let their players who play football join.

Sorry, I didn't know that. I guess they can do both, and if there is a schedule problem, the kid will have to decide.

Just now, hitman009 said:

there won't be a scheduling problem... cause AD's don't allow them to play.. its a nice double standard they like to use.

Can't blame the AD. Texas is a Football mecca. If an AD does poorly in football, but decent in baseball, he may be looking for another job soon. If he does great in football, then no one really cares what happens with baseball, generally speaking. He's trying to keep a job and bolster his resume' for the next chance to promote his career.

Just now, SmashMouth said:

Can't blame the AD. Texas is a Football mecca. If an AD does poorly in football, but decent in baseball, he may be looking for another job soon. If he does great in football, then no one really cares what happens with baseball, generally speaking. He's trying to keep a job and bolster his resume' for the next chance to promote his career.

I would not say NO ONE REALLY CARES WHAT HAPPENS WITH BASEBALL.. All you have to do is go to Ford Park every weekend and look at how much money parents pour into baseball.. lol

I get what you are saying.. but look at it from this point of view... WINS look good on resume correct? Would a AD do better if he has all his multi-sport kids stay in his program? Again they are usually the more athletic kid. Is his actions driving away the more athletic kids to "concentrate on one sport"? Sometimes more is not better.. Kids get burned out really quick if they believe their AD/Coach does not care about their personal athletic dreams and desires. 

Like I said.. a Good AD knows how to navigate this issue. 

21 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

there won't be a scheduling problem... cause AD's don't allow them to play.. its a nice double standard they like to use.

"AD's don't allow them to play"  that's false.  I've watched many of fall ball games and I can name 3 or 4 SETX teams that had football players on the team. 

Just now, Right99JOH said:

"AD's don't allow them to play"  that's false.  I've watched many of fall ball games and I can name 3 or 4 SETX teams that had football players on the team. 

ADs don't allow them to do school baseball drills in the middle of football season, though.  so the double standard is still there.

10 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

I would not say NO ONE REALLY CARES WHAT HAPPENS WITH BASEBALL.. All you have to do is go to Ford Park every weekend and look at how much money parents pour into baseball.. lol

I get what you are saying.. but look at it from this point of view... WINS look good on resume correct? Would a AD do better if he has all his multi-sport kids stay in his program? Again they are usually the more athletic kid. Is his actions driving away the more athletic kids to "concentrate on one sport"? Sometimes more is not better.. Kids get burned out really quick if they believe their AD/Coach does not care about their personal athletic dreams and desires. 

Like I said.. a Good AD knows how to navigate this issue. 

I think this whole discussion is getting overly hyped. My son played 3 sports and went on to play college football (still in school). I played 4 sports and went on to play college football. Neither of us (separated by 30+ years) got anything but support from our respective AD's and coaches.

Texas is a football mecca, but a good AD still does more than win at just football.  this isn't 30 years ago.  screwing over other programs and only concentrating on football is not a recipe for promotion.  You can't tell me that these big time jobs aren't going to look beyond football record when they have hundreds of applications? 

I think this whole discussion is getting overly hyped. My son played 3 sports and went on to play college football (still in school). I played 4 sports and went on to play college football. Neither of us (separated by 30+ years) got anything but support from our respective AD's and coaches.

I played 3 sports and went on to play college soccer.  But the football coach wasn't having me do contact drills (or kicking drills) in the middle of soccer district, jeopardizing my soccer playoffs, either.  I think that's the issue here.  All of the guys on here who pretty much only care about football think that's the way the AD should run things, and a good AD should be taking care of all athletes and making sure all teams are as successful as possible.  

8 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Well I have coached around SETX for the last 20 years.. I have not seen many playing in "their school fall ball team".. seen some playing select.. not high school fall ball... IN FACT some schools are not playing in the school fall ball league cause they can not find enough players.. cause most of them play football..

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

You can't tell me that these big time jobs aren't going to look beyond football record when they have hundreds of applications?

That's exactly what I'm opining. In 2022 PN-G went to state in football, right? They went 3-6 in district in baseball that same year. I bet the only one that knows that stat either played baseball that year or looked it up. I don't think the baseball record hurt the AD's street cred.

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I played 3 sports and went on to play college soccer.  But the football coach wasn't having me do contact drills (or kicking drills) in the middle of soccer district, jeopardizing my soccer playoffs, either.  I think that's the issue here.  All of the guys on here who pretty much only care about football think that's the way the AD should run things, and a good AD should be taking care of all athletes and making sure all teams are as successful as possible.  

I'll concede a hair. "A good AD should be taking care of all athletes" as long as football is the primary focus. And that's not because I'm a football guy. That's just the way it is.

14 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

ADs don't allow them to do school baseball drills in the middle of football season, though.  so the double standard is still there.

Would you rather have multi-sport athletes doing drills during school that are being ran/controlled by coaches or have kids playing fall ball with little to no supervision?!?!? 

That's exactly what I'm opining. In 2022 PN-G went to state in football, right? They went 3-6 in district in baseball that same year. I bet the only one that knows that stat either played baseball that year or looked it up. I don't think the baseball record hurt the AD's street cred.

but they're 10-3 this year.  playoffs in basically everything except boys and girls basketball, which i mean, that's understandable.  and from what I'm hearing, the different programs feel supported over there.  which is kind of the point of the athletic director.  It's not the football director.

I'll concede a hair. "A good AD should be taking care of all athletes" as long as football is the primary focus. And that's not because I'm a football guy. That's just the way it is.

and I'll concede that this is more realistic.  but a good AD can make football the primary focus without messing with the success of other sports.

On 4/24/2024 at 2:07 PM, bullets13 said:

when kids play multiple sports in high school they should be allowed to focus on one sport at a time.  There's no reason a baseball player who's about to go to the playoffs should get hurt running football drills in April.  Imagine if this had been reversed and a star football player shattered his wrist taking mandated varsity batting practice in September.  

Hmm.....

I tend to disagree.

I was a multi sport athlete in High School and am now a coach.

Kid is not going to be a very good hitter if he only hits in the spring and summer, I took BP and threw (to keep my arm in shape) during football and basketball season.

Kid is not going to be a very good QB, WR or DB if he only throws passes, runs routes or covers receivers in the fall or during a few 7 on 7 games after baseball is over.

And a kid is never going to be good shooter of the basketball if he only shoots during the basketball season.

Skills are honed, not mastered, they need to be developed and practiced repeatedly.

7 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I don't think it is overly hyped.. I am seeing less and less multi-sport kids when it can all be prevented.. A coach teaches l loyalty, work ethic, comradery, integrity, perseverance, etc.. to get kids to buy into their program. They talk about brotherhood and doing what is best for their community.... But some mean all of this  just for football... Kids see into this double standard and will quit.. either while on the field or off... 

drives me crazy!! 

and again... I work with these kids.. they tell me what they think.. so you can agree or disagree.. its their point of view!!

Just now, Right99JOH said:

Would you rather have multi-sport athletes doing drills during school that are being ran/controlled by coaches or have kids playing fall ball with little to no supervision?!?!? 

are you suggesting that if the football coach runs spring drills then the kids won't play fall ball without supervision?  Because if not, this argument has no relevance.  One doesn't take the place of the other.  one the AD has control of, the other he just tries to.