Congratulations Chad Taylor

On 3/28/2024 at 11:24 PM, LIBERTY82 said:

I heard they made Chad the AD a few days ago.

The previous AD has retired from AD duties, thus leading Hardin to name Taylor to be the new AD. Nothing more, nothing less.  

On 4/1/2024 at 11:11 AM, highsky said:

The previous AD has retired from AD duties, thus leading Hardin to name Taylor to be the new AD. Nothing more, nothing less.  

Yep, long over-due but nevertheless, Hardin has a guy that can lead the boys program finally.  Small school(s) like Hardin should not have an AD who does not coach football.

1 hour ago, LIBERTY82 said:

Yep, long over-due but nevertheless, Hardin has a guy that can lead the boys program finally.  Small school(s) like Hardin should not have an AD who does not coach football.

By that logic, the AD should coach every sport at that school.  The previous AD was a boys coach at one time.  As long as the sports have good coaches and the budget is managed well among the sports, what does it matter who the AD is?   

From what I hear, there is groundswell support for a separate AD (this person has never played or coached football) and head football coach at Liberty.  Liberty is bigger than Hardin but still falls under the "small school" criteria you posited. What then? 

Anyway, Chad T has done a good job for us this past year as HFC and expect him to do well as AD. 

9 hours ago, highsky said:

By that logic, the AD should coach every sport at that school.  The previous AD was a boys coach at one time.  As long as the sports have good coaches and the budget is managed well among the sports, what does it matter who the AD is?   

From what I hear, there is groundswell support for a separate AD (this person has never played or coached football) and head football coach at Liberty.  Liberty is bigger than Hardin but still falls under the "small school" criteria you posited. What then? 

Anyway, Chad T has done a good job for us this past year as HFC and expect him to do well as AD. 

I saw that on Facebook, from Hardin/Hull people.  Quite a different culture in Liberty however.  We’ll see where it goes.

8 hours ago, LIBERTY82 said:

I saw that on Facebook, from Hardin/Hull people.  Quite a different culture in Liberty however.  We’ll see where it goes.

I did see it on Facebook as well.  I do not know the person who said it as the post was shared by a friend.  Based on the content of the post, it was a resident of Liberty.  It was a well reasoned post for the most part but you are right, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

On 4/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, highsky said:

Preface, I am a FOOTBALL COACH.

There are numerous advantages to having an Athletic Director ONLY position. The AD is an Administrator and overseeing every Athletic program is a daunting task, It is a full-time job, if done right.

However, Football is a different animal, it is light years different from any other sport. The sheer number of coaches necessary to be competitive as well as the large number of participants makes it different than any other sport. If you have never coached football, then it is going to be very difficult to understand what goes into having a successful program. Having an AD that does not understand the inner workings of what it takes to win in football is NOT a recipe for success.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:00 AM, PlayActionPass said:

There are numerous advantages to having an Athletic Director ONLY position. The AD is an Administrator and overseeing every Athletic program is a daunting task, It is a full-time job, if done right.

However, Football is a different animal, it is light years different from any other sport. The sheer number of coaches necessary to be competitive as well as the large number of participants makes it different than any other sport. If you have never coached football, then it is going to be very difficult to understand what goes into having a successful program. Having an AD that does not understand the inner workings of what it takes to win in football is NOT a recipe for success.

This.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:00 AM, PlayActionPass said:

"Having an AD that does not understand the inner workings of what it takes to win in football is NOT a recipe for success." 

Not necessarily....if the AD is separate and worth their salt, it doesn't matter if they don't know much about football.  All they have to do is bring the HFC in to tell the AD what they need staff wise and have the HFC sit in on interviews and perhaps take the lead on the football parts of the interview.  After the interviews are over, the HFC and AD can get together and discuss the candidates and hire. Now, this may not exactly be the format that it would take but the separate HFC would need to obviously have a LOT of input on football hires so any separate AD would be smart enough to know that.  Any AD who does not listen to his/her coaches is likely to fail. 

13 minutes ago, highsky said:

"Having an AD that does not understand the inner workings of what it takes to win in football is NOT a recipe for success." 

Not necessarily....if the AD is separate and worth their salt, it doesn't matter if they don't know much about football.  All they have to do is bring the HFC in to tell the AD what they need staff wise and have the HFC sit in on interviews and perhaps take the lead on the football parts of the interview.  After the interviews are over, the HFC and AD can get together and discuss the candidates and hire. Now, this may not exactly be the format that it would take but the separate HFC would need to obviously have a LOT of input on football hires so any separate AD would be smart enough to know that.  Any AD who does not listen to his/her coaches is likely to fail. 

A LOT more that goes into running a football program than just hiring coaches.

But, I get your point.

However, GREAT Football programs and GREAT Football schools will have experienced FOOTBALL guys as AD's. This is even true at the college level. If a school really wants to be GREAT at football, then you need a football guy at the helm.

An AD can make decisions that are in the best interest of all Athletic Programs that HELP football, or an AD can make decisions that are supposedly in the best interest for all Athletic Programs that HINDER football. Only a football guy knows the difference.

38 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

A LOT more that goes into running a football program than just hiring coaches.

But, I get your point.

However, GREAT Football programs and GREAT Football schools will have experienced FOOTBALL guys as AD's. This is even true at the college level. If a school really wants to be GREAT at football, then you need a football guy at the helm.

An AD can make decisions that are in the best interest of all Athletic Programs that HELP football, or an AD can make decisions that are supposedly in the best interest for all Athletic Programs that HINDER football. Only a football guy knows the difference.

I think that with a lot of "smaller" schools.. in the area for sure.. it's easier to justify giving a higher salary to the head football coach if AD is attached to the job.  In turn, being able to attract a higher caliber of applicant for the job.  Plus, you won't get a good football coach (in most cases) if they know they have other job responsibilities other than just coaching football.  Even if it's a "coaching job" like teaching P.E. or something... but head coaches will want to reserve those kinds of jobs for their coordinators.

And yes.. there will be cases where HFC/AD are much more partial to the football program than to the entire athletic program as a whole.  To be fair, their job will be on the line based on the success of the football team.. even if every other athletic teams in the school flourishes.  So I get it.

That's also why I don't really have a problem with hiring an AD only.  AD only can be solely responsible for the entire athletic department.. and the HFC can focus solely on the success of the football team.

7 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

And yes.. there will be cases where HFC/AD are much more partial to the football program than to the entire athletic program as a whole.  To be fair, their job will be on the line based on the success of the football team.. even if every other athletic teams in the school flourishes.  So I get it.

That's also why I don't really have a problem with hiring an AD only.  AD only can be solely responsible for the entire athletic department.. and the HFC can focus solely on the success of the football team.

This is the part I wanted to add to my post but wasn't sure how to say it.  Being AD & HFC together sometimes creates a tunnel focus only on football at the expense of the other sports.  I've been in the coaching game long enough to have seen this happen.  

I also agree with the statement that "To be fair, their job will be on the line based on the success of the football team." However, success (or lack thereof) in other sports will also reflect on the AD because he/she is the director of the entire sports program at a school.  

15 minutes ago, highsky said:

This is the part I wanted to add to my post but wasn't sure how to say it.  Being AD & HFC together sometimes creates a tunnel focus only on football at the expense of the other sports.  I've been in the coaching game long enough to have seen this happen.  

I also agree with the statement that "To be fair, their job will be on the line based on the success of the football team." However, success (or lack thereof) in other sports will also reflect on the AD because he/she is the director of the entire sports program at a school.  

Head football coach at Newton or WOS has never been fired because the other sports teams were unsuccessful and/or neglected.  It works only one way.

55 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I think that with a lot of "smaller" schools.. in the area for sure.. it's easier to justify giving a higher salary to the head football coach if AD is attached to the job.  In turn, being able to attract a higher caliber of applicant for the job.  Plus, you won't get a good football coach (in most cases) if they know they have other job responsibilities other than just coaching football.  Even if it's a "coaching job" like teaching P.E. or something... but head coaches will want to reserve those kinds of jobs for their coordinators.

My whole point was that I LIKE the concept of an AD ONLY position.

With the caveat that this person needs to have a FOOTBALL background, Not that they need to have been a Head Football Coach, but if you don't have a football coaching background then you really don't know what ALL it takes for a football program to be REALLY successful.

• 2 weeks later...