Nederland ISD bond

Bigdog

This might be the wrong forum, if it is Coop please move it.  I just wanted to get everyones take on what they are proposing so far for this bond.

http://www.panews.com/local/local_story_330214613.html

http://www.panews.com/local/local_story_339210604.html

Nederland really needs to pass a bond for the far future....

Dayton failed to pass a bond in the mid 90's and the one that eventually passed was smaller.  The resulting high school is already overcrowded.

If the original bond would have been passed, the highschool would still be able to handle the number of students.

It is just hard to get people on fixed incomes to vote to raise their taxes which is really money out of their pockets that they won't get back.

GOOD LUCK NEDERLAND!!!!

Think of the kids now and the future kids when you vote.

You are investing in the future with a yes vote.

I agree Purple.  It works out to $35 a month increase for a 100K house.  Not too bad, but I understand that it would have more of an impact on people with a fixed income.

Many taxing entities have exemptions for over age 65 and most people on fixed income are in that category. What are the tax exemptions at NISD, if any?

Yep.  I have family that works in the high school and co wilson.  CO got rid of the mold for a while after Rita, but its back thanks to those wonderful flat roofs that schools were built with back then.  The High Schools design was flawed from the start.

Many taxing entities have exemptions for over age 65 and most people on fixed income are in that category. What are the tax exemptions at NISD, if any?

Pretty much the same.  Over 65, Disabled Vets, etc. thier taxes are pretty much frozen.  Other home owners get a homestead exemption.

I would vote yes and gladly pay the extra tax to see our schools improved for the future. I have kids that are 5,3 and 1 and I think it would be great for them. I would also like to see a new stadium, though ours is not too bad.

If we are to stay competitive with other schools in attracting the best students in the area, we must support the bond.

Looking at the tax rate currently http://www.co.jefferson.tx.us/taxoffice/Tax_Rates.htm, the tax will be something like $2870 on a $100,000 home in Nederland.

Quoting the Port Arthur News.  “ Considering all the work ahead of them, the question of how a bond would affect citizens arose. If the board passed a $100 million bond, the taxes on a $100,000 would be $420 a year, a business office employee saidâ€

Not to start anything, but people on fixed incomes don't typically pay taxes.

My father was in his late 80's when he passed away. He paid taxes up until that time. He did not pay school taxes sometime after he was in his mid to late 60's. My wife and I are both on fixed income and are under 65. We pay taxes just like everyone else in Bridge City. We passed a bond and built a new high school and our school taxes went up and we have to pay them like everyone else. I am assuming you were talking about school taxes when you said you thought people on a fixed income did not pay taxes. You can be on a fixed income and be under 65 and still have to pay taxes. Being on a fixed income does not keep you from paying school taxes. It is the age that they look at I think. When I get to be 65 I will definitely look into it but that is still a few years away. Hope I helped.

My parents are both in their 70's and they still pay property taxes....county, school, drainage district, etc.  I don't know where or why it started that people on a fixed income and/or retired or over a certain age don't pay property taxes.  My parents just paid their tax bill...over 3000.00.  Ridiculous!

My parents are both in their 70's and they still pay property taxes....county, school, drainage district, etc.  I don't know where or why it started that people on a fixed income and/or retired or over a certain age don't pay property taxes.  My parents just paid their tax bill...over 3000.00.  Ridiculous!

If you are over 65 you get exemptions. I doubt that does away with the person paying taxes. My taxes were over 4,000 this year but I am under 65 by about 30+ years.

Only 30 years Aki? Getting up there hmmm.  ;D

Thats what I said.  Over 65 , Disabled vets, etc. taxes are frozen at a certain level, whatever is set by the appraisal district.  Others get a homestead exemption.

31.. ;D ....Bigdog, I had heard Nederland was considering building a new football stadium near the high school. Is that part of the bond, or just a rumor?

31.. ;D ....Bigdog, I had heard Nederland was considering building a new football stadium near the high school. Is that part of the bond, or just a rumor?

Well don't feel bad, I'm closer to 65 than you are.  :P  ...According to the preliminary reports, a stadium will be on the bond.  The final list probably won't be out until March or April.

Well don't feel bad, I'm closer to 65 than you are.  :P  ...According to the preliminary reports, a stadium will be on the bond.  The final list probably won't be out until March or April.

What are they going to do, pick up the new 1,000,000.00  scoreboard and move it down the road.

• 7 months later...

Looks like the bond is getting pretty close to finalized....

Published July 22, 2008 10:43 pm - Nederland ISD trustees gave their blessing to a $126 million master plan during Tuesday’s meeting.

NISD approves $126 million bond master plan

Mary Meaux

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND —

Nederland ISD trustees gave their blessing to a $126 million master plan during Tuesday’s meeting.

The next step, Superintendent Gail Krohn said, is to inform Lance Fox of Orgain, Bell and Tucker, L.L.P. the district’s bond council. Then the LanWalton Program Management firm will begin work on details regarding the bond.

But, Krohn added, the board only approved the plan and did not ask for the issue to go before the voters.

The plan, presented by LanWalton Project Manager J.P. Grom, calls for three new elementary schools, a new C.O. Wilson Middle School, heating, ventilation, air conditioning work for Central Middle School, main building modernization at Nederland High School, [glow=red,2,300]new press box and similar work at Bulldog Stadium, turf for the field, land purchase [/glow] and modifications to the alternative education.

Grom distributed a detailed, spiral bound booklet titled “Facilities Master Plan.†The glossy cover includes pictures of the district’s mascot, students and several of the district’s facilities.

Melissa Wong, business manager, said the district’s bonding capacity is higher then first thought. Officials had planned on a cap of $125 million for a bond and just recently heard their bonding capacity is near $150 million.

Grom also addressed a second phase to the bond and with the better bonding capacity, the district could conceivably return to voters in six years for additional funding for phase two.

[glow=red,2,300]Phase two would cover the district’s athletic needs and include a new athletic complex, natatorium, modifications to the boy’s baseball and girl’s softball fields, tennis court[/glow], new Central Middle School, modernization to the high school Career And Technology Education building, new administration building and Ag barn. Cost escalation to May 2009 puts phase two at $82 million. That figure jumps to $118.7 million in 2015 and $161.4 million in 2020.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics