Phelan vrs Covey

mat

This is the dirties race I can recall. Every other commercial is one of their negative adds. In the Orange area, I get 2 - 4 or more flyers a day in the mail. I lot of money being spent. Evidently a lot at risk. It’s shameful. 

23 minutes ago, mat said:

This is the dirties race I can recall. Every other commercial is one of their negative adds. In the Orange area, I get 2 - 4 or more flyers a day in the mail. I lot of money being spent. Evidently a lot at risk. It’s shameful. 

I told someone today if IP had known how much $ was going to be spent on mailers in this election, they could have kept the mill open another year at least.  The money spent on that race is going to end up being staggering. 

Emails, messages, flyers, television, radio…. and all daily.

A former president endorsing one candidate and a former Texas governor endorsing the other (although there is a third).

Locally the presidential elections don’t get this kind of coverage. 

I agree with TxHoops that the final money totals will be staggering.

I think the reason for interest in this race may be because of this:  A little back ground.  In the election of 2022, AG Paxton overwhelming won re-election.  The following March or May, he's getting impeached.  This had me scratching my head.  So, I watched hours of this trial.  They suspended Paxton without pay.  They were supposed to pay him but didn't.  Asked why he didn't sue, he said the suit would have been tried in Austin and what Republican is going to get a fair trial there?  Next, they put a gag order on him.  The Dems and the press could pound him and he could not reply.  What did they use as a reason to to impeach?  They said Paxton took care of a supporter and in turn this supporter did some work on Paxton's house as payback.  BTW -- the repairs never happened.  In the end, the Senate acquitted Paxton.

Now -- you want to know the real reason Paxton was impeached?  Phelan would shows up "drunk" to do his official business as Speaker in the House.  Paxton called him out on it.  Phelan threw a temper tantrum and got with the Dems, and some Republicans?, and voted to impeach Paxton.  They didn't even tell Paxton what they were going to do.  They just hit him with it at the last minute.  So, How much money did Phelan cost Texas taxpayers for this trial because of his temper tantrum?  Well, I sent an email to LT Gov Dan Patrick requesting the cost of this trial.  I'll post it once I receive it.  BTW, Dan Patrick presided over this trial.  He did a good job.  But, once it was over, you could tell he was none to happy about the money spent!  I feel this is the reason people are turning against Phelan.  Now, will it be enough to get Covey elected?  Probably not.  But, one never knows!

@CardinalBacker

It’s no dirtier than the District 18 Race here… except for the terroristic threats by a Covey supporter, followed by Covey supporters showing up at Phelan’s residence to harass his wife. 

Bailes did the same thing… voted to impeach Paxton and now the Rs are gunning for him. Legal or not doesn’t matter-the only question R’s are supposed to ask is “whose side is the accused on?” That’s how you determine guilt or innocence. I guess my question is this… the FBI was all over Paxton, then he fired staffers who were “disloyal,” then had to settle with those staffers for retaliating against them. 

The radical right is just mad that some independent thinkers did the moral thing instead of toeing the line drawn by the radical right.  

In 10 years, when this state is being run by Democrats, it’ll be completely because of infighting like this.