Dayton Hires Jerry Prieto as HC

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Not even Todd Dodge could find them a candidate who would want to take that job without AD duties.

Not to mention the last 3 hires were buddies/ insiders, I think that has reduced the number and quality of applicants(along with the ridiculousness of having separate AD/HC roles for a school the size of Dayton). I would imagine a lot of potential applicants are figuring that’s what’s going to happen again. IMO

1 hour ago, LIBERTY82 said:

Why not hire Bobby Little, or does he not want the position?

Certainly hope not, nothing against him but that would be the same thing as hiring Hancock and Nations and we all know how that worked out. If they were serious about it they would combine the HC/AD and go after someone proven.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:17 PM, Red Boyou said:

Not to mention the last 3 hires were buddies/ insiders, 

That can kill a program. Maybe 5% of the time the "buddy / insider" really is the best hire, but the vast majority of the time the insider is hired just because they are an insider, not the absolute best candidate. 

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

That can kill a program

Agreed and I think Dayton is already a perfect example of that, and from what I’m hearing it’s not looking promising. Rumor has it that lots of coaches are not interested in taking the role due to the folks above them that they would have to deal with. So hopefully we end up with a coach that happens to be a diamond in the rough but even then you have to wonder how long someone like that will stay based on the rumors of the issues.

2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Who was that former stud QB that Dayton had many years ago that went on to coach in Vegas at Bishop Gorman I believe?  Wonder if he would be interested. 

Cody did try to come back. when they hired Nations but wasn't considered because Nations was in a tight click with the super and some of the school-board members. (which all are guilty of trashing a once revered football program) Hope things change but I don't see it until the good people of Dayton clean house!

On 2/12/2024 at 10:30 AM, Separation Scientist said:

That can kill a program. Maybe 5% of the time the "buddy / insider" really is the best hire, but the vast majority of the time the insider is hired just because they are an insider, not the absolute best candidate. 

It's crazy to me that you guys lump Ware in with the group responsible for killing the program. If anything, he has been responsible for bringing them back to relevancy over the past couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

It's crazy to me that you guys lump Ware in with the group responsible for killing the program. If anything, he has been responsible for bringing them back to relevancy over the past couple of years. 

Dude, I don't know a thing about Ware! 

I am commenting in GENERAL sense. Nothing specifically relating to Ware or Dayton at all. 

Sorry about the confusion! 

• Bobcat1 changed the title to Dayton Hires Jerry Prieto as HC