Dayton Hires Jerry Prieto as HC

4 hours ago, 2wedge said:

It's crazy to me that you guys lump Ware in with the group responsible for killing the program. If anything, he has been responsible for bringing them back to relevancy over the past couple of years. 

Vernon Harrison and Carson Horton deserve the lions share for success. I believe the Broncs went backwards this past season. 
Go back and watch the Brenham game in the first round. Maybe someone can explain the game plan to me. 

2 hours ago, Julio2000 said:

Vernon Harrison and Carson Horton deserve the lions share for success. I believe the Broncs went backwards this past season. 
Go back and watch the Brenham game in the first round. Maybe someone can explain the game plan to me. 

Yes, Dayton went "backwards" without the SR QB and Harrison. Teams routinely go "backwards" when they lose super talented SRs and reload with sophomores. Dayton should go "forward" this year with a group that received a large amount of playing time this past season. 

It is fairly common for teams to go "backward" when they have less talent and less experience than the previous year. The new coach is set up for success as the current group took their lumps this past year and will be ready to move "forward" this year. 

56 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Yes, Dayton went "backwards" without the SR QB and Harrison. Teams routinely go "backwards" when they lose super talented SRs and reload with sophomores. Dayton should go "forward" this year with a group that received a large amount of playing time this past season. 

It is fairly common for teams to go "backward" when they have less talent and less experience than the previous year. The new coach is set up for success as the current group took their lumps this past year and will be ready to move "forward" this year. 

Agree. Now that skill position players will remain Broncos. 

23 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

What's amazing to me is Dayton did not go backwards for 15 years, under Stew.  Stayed on the up for a long time.  Maybe they'll get back to their winning ways before the Grand Parkway overhaul, in the next 5-7 years? 

1 hour ago, LIBERTY82 said:

What's amazing to me is Dayton did not go backwards for 15 years, under Stew.  Stayed on the up for a long time.  Maybe they'll get back to their winning ways before the Grand Parkway overhaul, in the next 5-7 years? 

It is definitely amazing. I remember when Humble, LaMarque, Willowridge and others never went backwards before every coach they had forgot how to coach. They just need to hire a good coach and they should be able win every year. 

2 hours ago, LIBERTY82 said:

Stewart was a great football coach. No doubt about it. The players trusted and respected him. They also would run through a brick wall for him if he demanded it. 
When he resigned the program was rudderless. 
Dayton needs an inspirational leader who will put together a good staff and most importantly LET THEM DO THEIR JOBS. 

On 2/15/2024 at 4:56 PM, LIBERTY82 said:

I wouldn't say that, he had some up and down years just like any coach.

JERRY STEWART
20 years; 164-72-3; 19-12-0

1989  Clear Lake            5-4-1
1990  Clear Lake            7-4-1 T
1991  Clear Lake            7-3-1*
1992  Cleburne               7-4-0*
1993  Cleburne               6-5-0 R
         —staff, The Woodlands---
1996  Dayton                  5-5-0*
1997  Dayton                  7-4-0 R
1998  Dayton                12-1-0*
1999  Dayton                  7-4-0*