Athletic Director Question

Coached at 3 schools.  5A had a athletics period for football only and other period for other sports so it didn't arise.  Other 2 were a 3A that allowed all in, but we only had about 12-15 non-football in the period and only 1 did not play any l sports and the other was the 3A I mentioned.  

The one kid, freshman, which I dont think surprises you, was not allowed in athletic period the next year.  

Have you seen a situation with that many kids in an athletic period that didn't play a sport?  

1 minute ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Coached at 3 schools.  5A had a athletics period for football only and other period for other sports so it didn't arise.  Other 2 were a 3A that allowed all in, but we only had about 12-15 non-football in the period and only 1 did not play any l sports and the other was the 3A I mentioned.  

The one kid, freshman, which I dont think surprises you, was not allowed in athletic period the next year.  

Have you seen a situation with that many kids in an athletic period that didn't play a sport?  

I have seen it every year. There are many that attempt it. Most programs do not allow non-football kids in athletics for all of the reasons that I mentioned. If a kid is a returning varsity player for a spring sport they are sometimes allowed in particularly for baseball or basketball. Everything else, no way.  

I've seen it done at 5A and above where they have athletic periods that are sport specific....

I know there's a 4A in DFW that has athletics for football, basketball and baseball...the kids that are sport specific  stay in those sports all year and the multi-sport kids switch based on thr season 

1 hour ago, Matthew328 said:

I've seen it done at 5A and above where they have athletic periods that are sport specific....

I know there's a 4A in DFW that has athletics for football, basketball and baseball...the kids that are sport specific  stay in those sports all year and the multi-sport kids switch based on thr season 

This is how it was when I was at LCM 15+ years ago. I assumed that was the norm, so this thread has been kinda eye-opening.

15 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

I realize it fully. SRs after football that are no longer playing other sports are not allowed to hang out with the kids still playing sports only to detract from their efforts. The reason that SRs are removed is because they frequently cause discipline problems for the program after they are no longer playing sports.

This is the same reason that kids not playing football are not allowed in athletics because the vast majority are only trying to not be in PE and thus work against the program. They will all say that they "are baseball" or "are powerlifting" and then when the season rolls around they never materialize, yet they consumed resources for the whole year and there is nothing that anyone can do as the year has nearly passed. They were simply dead weight to the program for the whole year. 

This is somewhat true.  Back in the 90s our coaches gave us an option.  Stay with the program to keep working out, running, etc. (as long as not a distraction) or we could do our own thing (supervised of course).  Some of the younger athletes enjoyed us being in there.  We pushed those kids hard and they loved it! 

"do our own thing".... play flag football, wiffleball, etc.

20 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

As a former coach, I actually do that very thing.  Again, we will disagree about the elimination of kids from athletic class periods. 

Allowing all kids into athletics just because they want to or sign up for it is a huge mistake.  There are numerous reasons for removing kids from an athletics class.  Including but not limited to: A senior finished with sports, a student/athlete that doesn't play anything, behavior reasons, academic reasons, and probably many more.  

Make it public which schools just allow any kid into athletics that want to be.. because I'm sure there are other coaches that would like to schedule them. 

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Allowing all kids into athletics just because they want to or sign up for it is a huge mistake.  There are numerous reasons for removing kids from an athletics class.  Including but not limited to: A senior finished with sports, a student/athlete that doesn't play anything, behavior reasons, academic reasons, and probably many more.  

Make it public which schools just allow any kid into athletics that want to be.. because I'm sure there are other coaches that would like to schedule them. 

Fully understand your position and actually agree. My gripe is not allowing students in the athletic period because the student doesn't play football and/or basketball.  

Discipline problems, grade problems, quitting in the past, etc....heck no...you aren't in the program young man. 

10 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Fully understand your position and actually agree. My gripe is not allowing students in the athletic period because the student doesn't play football and/or basketball.  

Discipline problems, grade problems, quitting in the past, etc....heck no...you aren't in the program young man. 

Students should be in the athletic period for any team sport for sure.. including baseball/softball.  I could see the argument for not letting kids in that play individual type, after school sports (golf, tennis, etc.) even though I don't necessarily agree with it.  I think all athletes should be lifting/running/training for their sport outside of its season.  And even sometimes during season.. depending on what the coach of that sport deems best.

12 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Understood. What do you do in the Fall with a kid who claims he is going to be on a team in the Spring that he has not made? Keep him in athletics till February and when he doesnt make the team or doesnt show up, just keep him? Because it is too late to do a schedule change. He effectively consumed resources that could have been utilized on a player who is actually playing and wants to play. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. What do you do in the Fall with a kid who claims he is going to be on a team in the Spring that he has not made? Keep him in athletics till February and when he doesnt make the team or doesnt show up, just keep him? Because it is too late to do a schedule change. He effectively consumed resources that could have been utilized on a player who is actually playing and wants to play. 

One extra kid in offseason isn't going to make or break things IMO....

I dont know many schools that cut in baseball, Maybe they do but I figure most just have subvarsity teams and try to split em up to play some...most coaches want more kids in athletics

36 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

One extra kid in offseason isn't going to make or break things IMO....

I dont know many schools that cut in baseball, Maybe they do but I figure most just have subvarsity teams and try to split em up to play some...most coaches want more kids in athletics

You have not heard of “tryouts for baseball”? It is never “one kid”, once  they know they can be in athletics instead of PE they will keep coming.

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

You have not heard of “tryouts for baseball”? It is never “one kid”, once  they know they can be in athletics instead of PE they will keep coming.

If you truly have been places where kids are willing to go through off season workouts without playing a sport instead of taking a PE class, you have come across some darn tough kids.  Unless, you have been at a place or places with such limited coaching staffs there was no real off season except in the Spring.  Now, if that's the case I can see kids pulling that stunt and understand your concern. 

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Most places I know have varsity tryouts and if you don't make it you are on JV/Freshman team...both teams may have 25/30 kids but they are part of a team so it's cool 

18 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

That can be a tricky situation to say the least.  I would imagine that it happens more often than people think.. especially in bigger schools.  I would say that if one kid plans on being "baseball only" then during the fall we need to make sure that kid is as prepared (strength and speed) wise as possible for when baseball does roll around.  Any kid willing to go through an intense offseason regime for one sport wouldn't be that much of a detriment to the program.  The ones that will be "in the way" or taking reps from others.. will likely show themselves out rather than go through an intense training.

In small schools.. you don't see it as often because there are probably more multisport athletes.  I've seen AD's in the past pretty much make it mandatory (in small schools) that if you're going to be in athletics, then you're going to do SOMETHING athletics related in the fall as well as SOMETHING in the spring. Reason being the number of available coaches.  People often forget than for every group of individual athletes has to be a coach available to at least monitor them.  During football/volleyball season.. most small school coaches are involved with the big fall sport.  Can't have a bunch of different "offseason" groups.  And when I say anything.. Anything from one of the sports to even manager, help with practice, help at home games, concessions, something..  I personally like the idea.  

Many years ago-not sure if it’s the same now.

Nederland had football class for Varsity/Jv in the middle of the day.  Freshman were 1st period.  Football kids stayed in football class all year, except for seniors that were done.  They changed their schedules in January and went to PE or whatever spring sport they were playing.  Baseball/basketball class was last period.  

Football workouts were all spring no matter what other sport they were playing.  It was always fun when your 1st round MLB draft pick pitcher was also the QB and had to do Camp Fun that same day he’s pitching a big district game……

13 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Many years ago-not sure if it’s the same now.

Nederland had football class for Varsity/Jv in the middle of the day.  Freshman were 1st period.  Football kids stayed in football class all year, except for seniors that were done.  They changed their schedules in January and went to PE or whatever spring sport they were playing.  Baseball/basketball class was last period.  

Football workouts were all spring no matter what other sport they were playing.  It was always fun when your 1st round MLB draft pick pitcher was also the QB and had to do Camp Fun that same day he’s pitching a big district game……

Friday Camp Fun champion, to go throw 3 shut out innings at the baseball tournament, to run 2 leg in the bulldog relays😎