Athletic Director Question

I figured most Athletic Directors in our area are also Head Football Coaches, so I'm looking for their comments.  Do girls in your Athletic Program have a scheduled time and days to be in the weight room? Shocked when this came up in discussion at a friend's house and young lady who plays several sports at  a local high school said she has never been in the weight room with any of the teams she plays on or in her off-season. To me I think it is very important that they get the same opportunities as the boys (which I'll bet the house they are in the weight room). Not looking for names or schools just trying to educate a old school guy here. Thanks

2 hours ago, DP#1FAN said:

I figured most Athletic Directors in our area are also Head Football Coaches, so I'm looking for their comments.  Do girls in your Athletic Program have a scheduled time and days to be in the weight room? Shocked when this came up in discussion at a friend's house and young lady who plays several sports at  a local high school said she has never been in the weight room with any of the teams she plays on or in her off-season. To me I think it is very important that they get the same opportunities as the boys (which I'll bet the house they are in the weight room). Not looking for names or schools just trying to educate a old school guy here. Thanks

They have scheduled time for the powder room. 

20 minutes ago, DP#1FAN said:

This is a 4A school.

There's zero reason why the girls sports shouldn't lift...if there's just one weight facility there needs to be some cooperation and scheduling but for the good of all sports and athletes it needs to happen and if it's not happening then a poor job is being done by all involved IMO

4 hours ago, DP#1FAN said:

Curious:  In these discussions, what sports were brought up that they thought girls needed weight training?

7 hours ago, DP#1FAN said:

All Athletes, male or female, benefit from proper strength training.

If the Athletic Director is not making sure ALL Athletes are being properly trained in the area of functional strength then they are doing a disservice to the athletes. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:44 AM, DP#1FAN said:

Of the girl's programs I've been around, almost all girl's sports training included weights with the exception of the girl's tennis program, if I remember correctly. While the girl's programs usually had to workout around the boy's programs, they were always given the same opportunity to weight train both during organized training and during off hours for voluntary training.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:03 PM, Reagan said:

Curious:  In these discussions, what sports were brought up that they thought girls needed weight training?

All athletes need weight/resistance training. Heck, college bowling teams are assigned a strength and conditioning coach. 

The only sport i can think of that uses no or minimal weight training is gymnastics. That is simply due to the nature of the sport having events that are by design resistance training. 

On 1/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, DP#1FAN said:

This is a 4A school.

Got one for you while we discuss fairness. There's a 3A school in the area that only allows certain male sport athletes in the boy's athletic period. In other words, you must play certain sports or get you physcial education credit elsewhere and workout on your own.  One of the most unethical things I have witnessed.  

Aa a college educator that teaches pre-service teachers/coaches, as a high school athlete I would not have been allowed in the aforementioned unnamed schools athletic period. 

8 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Got one for you while we discuss fairness. There's a 3A school in the area that only allows certain male sport athletes in the boy's athletic period. In other words, you must play certain sports or get you physcial education credit elsewhere and workout on your own.  One of the most unethical things I have witnessed.  

Aa a college educator that teaches pre-service teachers/coaches, as a high school athlete I would not have been allowed in the aforementioned unnamed schools athletic period. 

Not sure what school your riddle pertains to but there are "MANY" schools that do not allow students that do not play football in the athletic period. It is because there is not enough coaches to coach them all and there are always a hoard of kids that will claim they are "baseball" or "powerlifitng" or some other sport and then never make the team. Their only agenda is to "not be in PE". 

34 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Not sure what school your riddle pertains to but there are "MANY" schools that do not allow students that do not play football in the athletic period. It is because there is not enough coaches to coach them all and there are always a hoard of kids that will claim they are "baseball" or "powerlifitng" or some other sport and then never make the team. Their only agenda is to "not be in PE". 

It wasn't a riddle and all that do it are in the wrong. 

13 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

It wasn't a riddle and all that do it are in the wrong. 

You have never run an athletic program and there is no other way. You cannot have the entire school in a single athletic period consisting of kids who do not play sports. They will destroy the program and prevent the coaches from interacting with players who actually play on a team in addition to destroying the discipline in the program.  

If it is not a "riddle", tell us what school you are referencing. 

My resume is not the concern.  The elitist attitude of leaving kids out of programs is wrong.   The school I will not point out. Plus, according to you "many" don't allow it, so why point out the one?

Several allow all athletes in are successful across the board doing so.  So, there is another way. 

For the most part it's the anti baseball AD.  It forces kids into football if they wish to lift and get fit during the school hours.  

We will simply disagree as you will not change my mind nor I yours. 

6 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

My resume is not the concern.  The elitist attitude of leaving kids out of programs is wrong.   The school I will not point out. Plus, according to you "many" don't allow it, so why point out the one?

Several allow all athletes in are successful across the board doing so.  So, there is another way. 

For the most part it's the anti baseball AD.  It forces kids into football if they wish to lift and get fit during the school hours.  

We will simply disagree as you will not change my mind nor I yours. 

Understood, I know what I am talking about while you do not. Would love to hear what school allows “all athletes” in athletics when you cannot know what “athletes” will be on the team. Keep 40-60 kids in athletics all year and they never play for a team. Especially when they “say they will be on a team” and then “never even try out”, but they were “in athletics all year” consuming limited resources and diverting coaches from players who are sincere.

Comments like “elitist attitude” further establish your ignorance on the subject.

5 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Not sure why the air quotes.  It's what I do.  Not being confrontational are a smart butt.  I work in a teacher certification program as a college educator.  Kinesiology to be more specific.  

Excellent! If you have not already, add this to the program just before you send them out and tell them: "Wherever you go, do not draw any conclusions until you understand all of the factors that the AD deals with" and "Always assume that the person who is in a position of leadership and runs an athletic program for a living, likely has insight that you do not have regarding the program". 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

You have never run an athletic program and there is no other way. You cannot have the entire school in a single athletic period consisting of kids who do not play sports. They will destroy the program and prevent the coaches from interacting with players who actually play on a team in addition to destroying the discipline in the program.  

If it is not a "riddle", tell us what school you are referencing. 

You do realize all the seniors who only play football are basically in a P.E. class for the remainder of the year during athletic period.......

14 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

As a former coach, I actually do that very thing.  Again, we will disagree about the elimination of kids from athletic class periods. 

Understood. When you were coaching, How did you handle kids in athletics that had no interest in being on a team but did not    want to be in PE? That told you at the beginning of the year they were going to in powerlifting, baseball or tennis and then made no effort to be on the team. 

1 minute ago, pine curtain said:

You do realize all the seniors who only play football are basically in a P.E. class for the remainder of the year during athletic period.......

I realize it fully. SRs after football that are no longer playing other sports are not allowed to hang out with the kids still playing sports only to detract from their efforts. The reason that SRs are removed is because they frequently cause discipline problems for the program after they are no longer playing sports.

This is the same reason that kids not playing football are not allowed in athletics because the vast majority are only trying to not be in PE and thus work against the program. They will all say that they "are baseball" or "are powerlifting" and then when the season rolls around they never materialize, yet they consumed resources for the whole year and there is nothing that anyone can do as the year has nearly passed. They were simply dead weight to the program for the whole year.