Silsbee 68 Beaumont United 78/FINAL

16 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Some haven't forgotten the obvious: BU head coach Green is from Silsbee.  He knows that level of basketball because he played at that level. Silsbee coach Sigler was his coach, and his mentor.  They are probably good friends.  Who wants to be riding in a bus for long stretches of time and miles to play a so called more worthy opponent on a cold Tuesday evening, when you can get a good run from a team 20 miles away.  Arm chair keyboard warrior 'coaches' are good at cashing checks in their minds.

I’ll say it again…NO OTHER PREMIER 6A PROGRAMS ARE SCHEDULING 4A SCHOOLS! 

You can make whatever excuses you want…playing Silsbee or any of the other teams they’ve scheduled thus far in non district isn’t helping you get better or preparing you for the road that’s ahead IMO.

I’m not sure why yall pretending as if BU has to travel long distances to play quality competition, when Houston is right up the road & it’s plenty of quality competition there as you saw when they played Cy Springs. Secondly you can schedule home games to prevent having to drive, however having to travel is inevitable based on the location of where Beaumont is compared to the other 5A/6A competition. Furthermore BU traveled way to Arlington just to play a 5A Kimball team (nobody on here mentioned travel being an issue then btw) when I’m SURE there were more quality 5A/6A opponents in DFW they could’ve played. The fact y'all really on here defending the 6A state runner up playing a 4A school is baffling to me.

When I coached at NS we aimed to schedule the best of the best. We wouldn’t schedule an opponent that wasn’t on the same level as us or a team outside of 6A cause it didn’t do anything for us, iron sharpens iron…simple.

8 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

You can make whatever excuses you want…playing Silsbee or any of the other teams they’ve scheduled thus far in non district isn’t helping you get better or preparing you for the road that’s ahead IMO.

I’m not sure why yall pretending as if BU has to travel long distances to play quality competition, when Houston is right up the road & it’s plenty of quality competition there as you saw when they played Cy Springs. Secondly you can schedule home games to prevent having to drive, however having to travel is inevitable based on the location of where Beaumont is compared to the other 5A/6A competition. Furthermore BU traveled way to Arlington just to play a 4A Kimball team (nobody on here mentioned travel being an issue then btw) when I’m SURE there were more quality 5A/6A opponents in DFW they could’ve played. The fact y'all really on here defending the 6A state runner up playing a 4A school is baffling to me.

When I coached at NS we aimed to schedule the best of the best. We wouldn’t schedule an opponent that wasn’t on the same level as us or a team outside of 6A cause it didn’t do anything for us, iron sharpens iron…simple.

Kimball is 5A and the defending 5A state champ.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Yes.

Since BU’s inception:

76-73 Silsbee 

106-57 BU 49

109-63 BU 46

62-52 BU 10

84-54 BU 30

93-63 BU 30

78-68 BU 10

BU has beaten Silsbee by an average of 29 points since the school open…again please tell me how scheduling a game like this helps BU? Maybe I’m missing something 

17 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Kimball is 5A and the defending 5A state champ.

I stand corrected…but my point of bringing this up was to show BU has no problem traveling, contrary to what many on here believe. Also just spoke with a good friend on mine Kimball’s staff (Ryan Carrington) they are way down this year, team of mostly freshman & sophomores, so this wasn’t a competitive game. But not mad at them scheduling the defending 5A state champs.

4 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Since BU’s inception:

76-73 Silsbee 

106-57 BU 49

109-63 BU 46

62-52 BU 10

84-54 BU 30

93-63 BU 30

78-68 BU 10

BU has beaten Silsbee by an average of 29 points since the school open…again please tell me how scheduling a game like this helps BU? Maybe I’m missing something 

You just asked if Silsbee had won, and I answered.

Like I said, it doesn't hurt their program to play Silsbee every year. They will continue to play each other. Both schools enjoy the game.

I also agree that BU could schedule a little harder. But I don't know the ends and outs of the school finance in BISD and what parameters they have in place for their sports teams.

2 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

I stand corrected…but my point of bringing this up was to show BU has no problem traveling, contrary to what many on here believe. Also just spoke with a good friend on mine Kimball’s staff (Ryan Carrington) they are way down this year, team of mostly freshman & sophomores. 

Kimball is down this year.

I don’t understand the point. Nobody here makes the BU schedule. Beating an irrelevant horse to make what point? BU has been to 3 state championships in a row. I think the man knows what he is doing. BU plays a soft pre-district schedule this year….. and? 3 state title games in a row, I’m sure Coach Green doesn’t care at all what the message board and middle school coaches think about his scheduling.

I know that I do not have much dog in the fight but reading this I think there are a couple of things to note: 

1. Travel - Yes United did travel to Arlington to play a game, but it was on a non school day, so students lost zero education by going there. The same as when they travel to Allen over Christmas. As much as we do not think about it, these are still students so being in class as much as they can is best. 

Beaumont is in no man's land, similar to the Odessa/Midland & Abilene. Look at who they are scheduling, Hobbs and other New Mexico schools, or down a level. Houston is two hours away for most non district games. United & Westbrook can travel there but many schools are not gonna travel East when they can find schools closer, so if they want a home game they have to find a way. Silsbee is one of the few, if only, schools that will agree to come to United or Westbrook. Many local schools will not for various reasons and Houston schools are not. So travel wise Beaumont, both schools, are stuck. They want a home game for the parents/students/fans to watch, they have to be creative. 

2. Money - The schools that travel across the country are not paying for it. Many are being sponsored by the host or another company. DeSoto and Duncanville the past couple of years have had 5-6 high level D1 players on each team so people want to showcase them. Beaumont has had 1 or 2 so you are not going to have as many organizations hoping to have them play. Some will but not the major ones. They have to look local and Beaumont does not have the money that you see in Dallas Fort Worth or Houston. If they want to travel it will be the old way of sales and fundraisers. But everyone is struggling. 

3. Tradition - As others have mentioned there are certain schools across the state that have that respect level. Argyle, Kimball, Carter, Madison, Brock, Silsbee, Yates, and now Washington. Year in and year out they are going to be good, and on any given night can give you a game (a few years ago the 4A state champ almost lost to the 1A state champ just saying). The coach knows that the teams will fight for 32 minutes and will push their players. This was that type of game. Silsbee has the tradition and the respect, so yes they may be 4A, and yes if they lose it might not look good to the ones with little knowledge, the real basketball people will know it is not that big of a deal. They know Silsbee is better than 1/2 to 2/3 of 6A teams and will be one of the final 8 teams playing in 4A in March. 

4. Game Planning - Coaches want to play teams that can prepare them for the playoffs and future opponents. Besides the above mentioned 32 minutes of fight, Silsbee may run schemes and systems that United might see down the road. So why not try and play them to give the players a taste of that pressure style. 

So looking at the whole 4A comment while it makes sense if they were playing most 4A schools, it does not work in this case. United by playing Silsbee was able to get a quality opponent to come to them that will prepare them for district and the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, Coach 01 said:

I don’t understand the point. Nobody here makes the BU schedule. Beating an irrelevant horse to make what point? BU has been to 3 state championships in a row. I think the man knows what he is doing. BU plays a soft pre-district schedule this year….. and? 3 state title games in a row, I’m sure Coach Green doesn’t care at all what the message board and middle school coaches think about his scheduling.

The point was clear…BU non district schedule sucks for a team who’s been to 3 state title games. Save the rest of the dramatics.

1 hour ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Since BU’s inception:

76-73 Silsbee 

106-57 BU 49

109-63 BU 46

62-52 BU 10

84-54 BU 30

93-63 BU 30

78-68 BU 10

BU is Ozen and Central combined. I do know from 2015-2018 Silsbee ran thru all of Beaumont sir. 

4 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Since BU’s inception:

76-73 Silsbee 

106-57 BU 49

109-63 BU 46

62-52 BU 10

84-54 BU 30

93-63 BU 30

78-68 BU 10

To be honest most of those BU blow puts happened while Silsbee was still playing football as well.

Real basketball coaches, the smart ones, avoid playing potential playoff opponents as much as possible during the regular season. They don’t want playoff opponents to be too familiar with their way of doing things.   Silsbee doesn’t play Yates, or BT Washington during the regular season. You’re not going to see a game like that until the playoffs.

Also it is not all about basketball, ostensibly anyway.  We’re talking about high school student athletes.  A smart good ISD AD or coach understands that.  So does the UIL. Remember them?  So I say kick back & enjoy the games.  The real high school basketball administrators got it under control.

19 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

I’m not sure why yall pretending as if BU has to travel long distances to play quality competition, when Houston is right up the road & it’s plenty of quality competition there as you saw when they played Cy Springs. Secondly you can schedule home games to prevent having to drive, however having to travel is inevitable based on the location of where Beaumont is compared to the other 5A/6A competition. Furthermore BU traveled way to Arlington just to play a 5A Kimball team (nobody on here mentioned travel being an issue then btw) when I’m SURE there were more quality 5A/6A opponents in DFW they could’ve played. The fact y'all really on here defending the 6A state runner up playing a 4A school is baffling to me.

NS doesn’t schedule 4A schools in the Houston area because they soaked up all their talent like a giant sponge.  Schools like Furr, Kashmere Sam Houston etc., don’t have competitive teams because NS recruited away all their talent.

51 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

NS doesn’t schedule 4A schools in the Houston area because they soaked up all their talent like a giant sponge.  Schools like Furr, Kashmere Sam Houston etc., don’t have competitive teams because NS recruited away all their talent.

Watch this…name a kid that’s on NS current roster that was recruited? I’ll wait