Willis and Desoto

panamamyers

53 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

This reminds me of Madison vs North Shore in 2001.

It's all fun and games until the other team has by far the best player on the field, particularly at QB. The best QB in the nation can cover up a lot of flaws.

You comparing Lagway to Vince Young? Lol football is won in the trenches…highly doubt this game is close.

34 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Very

They sure put a whooping on Klein Cain. 72-19 in the 3rd quarter at one point. How did Summer Creek have so much trouble with Klein Cain? 

Lot of people in 2001 thought Reggie McNeal was better than Vince Young. I remember walking into the Astrodome to watch that game and all of the North Shore fans sitting around me thought it was going to be a walk over. I was rooting for North Shore. If Madison didn't have Vince Young, NS wins by 70. If Willis doesn't have Lagway, I am sure Desoto wins by 60...

We will see tomorrow night how it goes when they do have him.

When you have a QB in high school that is two or three levels better than anyone else on the field strange things can happen.

10 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

They sure put a whooping on Klein Cain. 72-19 in the 3rd quarter at one point. How did Summer Creek have so much trouble with Klein Cain? 

Lot of people in 2001 thought Reggie McNeal was better than Vince Young. I remember walking into the Astrodome to watch that game and all of the North Shore fans sitting around me thought it was going to be a walk over. I was rooting for North Shore. If Madison didn't have Vince Young, NS wins by 70. If Willis doesn't have Lagway, I am sure Desoto wins by 60...

We will see tomorrow night how it goes when they do have him.

When you have a QB in high school that is two or three levels better than anyone else on the field strange things can happen.

NS just struggled with Deer Park & Clear Springs…does that make DP or Clear Springs anything more than mediocre? 

Having a good QB doesn’t matter when you can’t match up in the trenches or have a defense. I’ve coached against Lagway when he was a freshman and they had him playing WR. I think he’s elite, however he hasn’t played any good competition all season. Giving up 52 points to the woodlands should tell you everything you need to know about this matchup. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

So D2 can be tougher than D1? No difference?

Not at all…one or two teams don’t make up the entire D2 bracket! There’s a huge talent gap between D1 & D2 teams. Anyone who knows any better will tell you this. There’s a reason why Katy & Desoto ain’t won state titles in the D1 bracket! 

30 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Not at all…one or two teams don’t make up the entire D2 bracket! There’s a huge talent gap between D1 & D2 teams. Anyone who knows any better will tell you this. There’s a reason why Katy & Desoto ain’t won state titles in the D1 bracket! 

Is it because Desoto is always the smallest school in the District? Or something else?

5 hours ago, panamamyers said:

This reminds me of Madison vs North Shore in 2001.

It's all fun and games until the other team has by far the best player on the field, particularly at QB. The best QB in the nation can cover up a lot of flaws.

I was at this game.   Took about an hour to get through the coaching pass line.   North Shore started a lot of sophomores that year, and 2 years later one their 1st title.

VY was on another planet.   Best high school player I’ve ever seen.  Courtney Lewis was pretty good as well.

Desoto is a complete team and will have more size and speed than Willis has seen all year.   Lagway will keep them in the game for a bit,  but Desoto will have too much firepower.

If Lagway can put together a Kyler Murray type performance, they will have a shot, but that’s asking a lot from the young man.

I’ll be cheering for my Montgomery County neighbors though.  

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Is it because Desoto is always the smallest school in the District? Or something else?

Actually they’re not the smallest school in the district lol what are you talking about Desoto has only played in the D2 bracket twice before this year if my memory serves me correctly. Again there’s a reason they’ve never even been to the state title game in the D1 bracket…

8 minutes ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Actually they’re not the smallest school in the district lol what are you talking about Desoto has only played in the D2 bracket twice before this year if my memory serves me correctly. Again there’s a reason they’ve never even been to the state title game in the D1 bracket…

Out of the teams that go to the playoffs, are they the "smallest" school? You are aware that 6AD2 is based upon which two schools are the "smallest" out of the teams in the playoffs. 

Who do you believe is smaller than Desoto in the District? They will be 5AD1 next year.

2 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Also, Katy won D1 Championship in 1997. 

I have no dog in the fight really. Just pulling for the team closer to Houston. I also enjoy following when someone is able to take a team that is not accustomed to competing on such a level and putting them on his back and turning them into a winner like Lagway has been able to do with Willis. They have like 3 or 4 winning seasons in the last 15 years. I don't think it has anything to do with any change in attendance patterns. I think Lagway is just that good and turned them into a formidable team.

That's why it reminds me of VY. A team from Hiram Clarke that had never been much in quite some time and hasn't been much since, but he put them on his back for that one year.

Reminds me of the Texas City team too when someone swore to us on this forum that it wasn't just the Foreman twins. They were building a juggernaut over there. Then the Foreman twins graduate and they go from 14-1 to 5-6 the next year and havent been heard from in the past decade.