Port Neches-Groves (41) @ Nederland (16) - FINAL

jdawg03

28 minutes ago, NHS409 said:

😂🤣

He was insinuating all year that Nederland wasn’t going to be competitive.  Fact is they are starting 22 underclassmen, including several freshmen and sophs, they have been very competitive in district, the guy would’ve never dreamed we would’ve had WOS and FBM in a spot to beat ‘em.  Nederland has made some major strides forward this year and despite the tone of some “fans???”… the program is on a positive trajectory.  I see some great football coming in the near future.

50 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

Lol kinda what I was saying on the TC vs Ned thread. We act like after last years team we we're expecting a DC, I guess cause we've been use to recent success and last year kinda left us wondering how decades of culture can get destroyed in a single year (but it's possible) but our district record is a typical one for Ned and a playoff appearance is usual as well. Just kicking it back to the 05-08 squads again, let's hurry and repeat 2011-2015 please. Let's go our normal two rounds deeps and watch the state championship from the sidelines as tradition entails 

Nederland will be rolled by TC and blown out by 50 plus in the first round.  This is not about a #5 PNG team.  It is about a program that has lost its edge and ability to keep players within the program.  It is time for a change.  

2 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

Nederland will be rolled by TC and blown out by 50 plus in the first round.  This is not about a #5 PNG team.  It is about a program that has lost its edge and ability to keep players within the program.  It is time for a change.  

I've been hearing of a lot of dropouts in the football program. Idk what changed but we better catch it now while we can. Now I see why the admin when I was there was as strict as it was, because it would have been the downfall back then. And I went there from 05-09. Like I said I'm hoping the new school brings life back again and the culture of pride comes back to the city. 

I will agree with Brubaker that the Bulldogs have improved a little from last year

Theu will finish 4-7 this season.  There 4 wins are all against teams with losing records. What have we discovered this season:

#1 WOS is not very good this year and the Dogs gave up 40 to them due to the defense shutting it down in the 4th quarter 

#2 PAM destroyed the Dogs and we found out last night that they are not near as good as they thought they were and May not get past the second round 

#3 Dayton which I and most posters thought would be much improved is not good. The Dogs won but game up 30 and Willowridge kicked them last night

#4 FBM not even close to as good as the past few seasons and I look for them to get beat in first round

#5 The only 2 good teams in district this year are PNG and TC 

So with that, I am glad the Dogs improved to 4 wins and made the playoffs this season, I am not sure they are very competitive yet

I do believe the offense has improved, although they threw 4 picks last night, the defense and special teams are unfortunately very weak

1 hour ago, Brubaker said:

He was insinuating all year that Nederland wasn’t going to be competitive.  Fact is they are starting 22 underclassmen, including several freshmen and sophs, they have been very competitive in district, the guy would’ve never dreamed we would’ve had WOS and FBM in a spot to beat ‘em.  Nederland has made some major strides forward this year and despite the tone of some “fans???”… the program is on a positive trajectory.  I see some great football coming in the near future.

Oh I know, I myself did say Nederland would win 3 games tops!! I was off by one, cause they will not beat TC! I've been involved with the football program since 1995. The kids are different man, kids are quitting like I've never seen before. It starts from up top!!! LN never had anything happen like this, he did start getting a lil soft towards the end and allow a couple things that I never would think he would. But that fire isn't there with the program nowadays. Let alone that there isn't many good players on the team. All they have on offense is Thomas and Tezeno. Sunday isn't a qb, but he can run and is a good kid. But as passing is concerned it's definitely spotty. The O-line has been decimated and they were already going to be the weak spot of the offense. That's why Sunday rolls out almost every pass play. But atleast they made improvements this year and are going to the playoffs, albeit the district being very weak!! Will 4 wins be enough for Barrow to keep his job is the question!? I believe the heydays of Nederland is far gone. Don't think there will ever be a run like the late 90's early 2000's when they went State Quarterfinals back to back to back then the State Semi Finals. Atleast not with this HC, Happy for Holyfield as a Senior to experience the playoffs though he has heart  even though he had some costly penalties lastnight!

I’m very encouraged by the talent I’ve seen in the junior class on down, we have some players in the program, will we keep them in the program will be the litmus test.  I don’t know how two senior classes in a row all but disappeared but for a few warriors.  But I believe it’s an anomaly that will be forgotten in a few years.  Just my opinion, we’ll see.

15 hours ago, Brubaker said:

I’m very encouraged by the talent I’ve seen in the junior class on down, we have some players in the program, will we keep them in the program will be the litmus test.  I don’t know how two senior classes in a row all but disappeared but for a few warriors.  But I believe it’s an anomaly that will be forgotten in a few years.  Just my opinion, we’ll see.

It's the Trenches that's going to need help, just don't have those dudes especially on Offense. I do think skill positions they will be pretty good the next few years. But size up front is going to be a major factor!! And yes ik Nederland isn't known for having Big Lines, but the quality isn't there either. Guess they'll have to get "coached up", need to see about realignment as well. Cause boy, we should be small 4a with a football numbers. But improvement is improvement even though it's not Nederland standards. I think they will be better next year as well, like 6 wins.

2 hours ago, NHS409 said:

It's the Trenches that's going to need help, just don't have those dudes especially on Offense. I do think skill positions they will be pretty good the next few years. But size up front is going to be a major factor!! And yes ik Nederland isn't known for having Big Lines, but the quality isn't there either. Guess they'll have to get "coached up", need to see about realignment as well. Cause boy, we should be small 4a with a football numbers. But improvement is improvement even though it's not Nederland standards. I think they will be better next year as well, like 6 wins.

Question... Are there alot walking the halls size wise that could help? Keep hearing that so many quit or don't play for whatever reasons. 

It’s a phase I hope that will play out.  When these guys roaming the halls figure out what they are missing, not playing football and playing one sport or not playing at all, they will change their minds.  These parents that are letting their kids participate in one sport are making a big mistake in my view.  
   If this is the case.  Now if these guys don’t want to play for this staff, then the superintendent has a problem.

6 hours ago, NHS409 said:

When we were making trips into the 3rd round 98,99,00,01,03,11 and 12 we had size on the offensive line really the 1st year we didn't have size was the 2020 team...these smaller offensive lines we have had the last several years just does not work for the type of offensive we have and it shows 

5 hours ago, outanup said:

Question... Are there alot walking the halls size wise that could help? Keep hearing that so many quit or don't play for whatever reasons. 

What's crazy is that they're are some big kids in the hallways, but they are in the band or nerdy and not athletic at all. Part of the times we live in, kids aren't outside as much and video games have ruined alot of these kids man. Just don't have the type of kids PNG does, they are always bigger an they a just divided by train tracks. Crazy, but with the success PNG has had as of late parents rather have their kids go to PNG I would assume.

Could just be a changing of the times, Nederland had its cycle and now its PNGs turn. I'm sure the tide will turn again and roll over to us. PNG fans were probably saying the same things during the end of the Burnett/Faircloth era when Nederland was top dogs for a while. At least when my family was in school from 05-20 we enjoyed the wins. But I agree a new HC is needed, he's far from what Larry was even though he coached under him. Just my .02 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure Nederland will be a lot better next year. They have some talent no doubt, but coaching is killing them. I think thew will be much improved as they have shown improvement this year. We shall see how they do tomorrow night against Lake Creek. Would love to see the dogs upset this team. if it rains like they say anything is possible. Might just come down to who has the better running game.