Santa Fe (20) @ Nederland (34) - FINAL

jdawg03

On 10/7/2023 at 12:37 AM, Rez Ipsa said:

I went to the Nederland game. First, congratulations to the Bulldogs for winning. They already have beaten their record from last year. And, who’s to say they don’t keep winning? But, just taking tonight as my only sample (Tonight was my first time watching Nederland this year): Nederland is not good. Maybe they will be next week. Maybe they win state. But, today they are bad. The o-line is awful, and I mean awful. The defense is porous, d line is weak. The enthusiasm is absent. Numbers 1,2,3 and Sunday are the only four players on the team with any heart. Mistakes, penalties, false starts, pathetic tackling. Inconsistent (looked good at the beginning, looked bad-to-average the rest of the night). Conditioning is weak. It’s shocking, and not what I’m used to as someone who has watched Nederland all my life. All of that goes back to coaching. I don’t believe anyone should bash the players. And no reason to “bash” the coaches. They’re doing their best. I don’t want to be negative. I went to the game to root for Nederland. I wish them the best until they play PNG. But for all that 3-0 looks good on Nederland, tonight was bad football between two bad football teams. But, I’ve been wrong before. Maybe I’m wrong about this. 

✍️ ✍️ ✍️ 

I watched PNG this week. Would it be fair for me to say they aren’t good because I watched 4 quarters of a game they didn’t play well in? I didn’t think so. High school teams have good weeks and bad weeks. See y’all later this month.

42 minutes ago, jake94 said:

✍️ ✍️ ✍️ 

I watched PNG this week. Would it be fair for me to say they aren’t good because I watched 4 quarters of a game they didn’t play well in? I didn’t think so. High school teams have good weeks and bad weeks. See y’all later this month.

Oh, its starting already.  Can you imagine the smack if Ned and PNG go into MCM #100 undefeated in district?  :)

1 hour ago, jake94 said:

✍️ ✍️ ✍️ 

Of course it would be fair to voice your observations. If you read my comment again, I made sure to emphasize it was only one game and said a bunch of nice things about Nederland. That being said, using only one game, let’s compare worst to worst. I watched both games. The PNG team that showed up against Fort Bend Willowridge would beat the snot out of the Nederland team that showed up against Santa Fe. Good luck against Fort Bend Marshall. 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:37 AM, Rez Ipsa said:

I went to the Nederland game. First, congratulations to the Bulldogs for winning. They already have beaten their record from last year. And, who’s to say they don’t keep winning? But, just taking tonight as my only sample (Tonight was my first time watching Nederland this year): Nederland is not good. Maybe they will be next week. Maybe they win state. But, today they are bad. The o-line is awful, and I mean awful. The defense is porous, d line is weak. The enthusiasm is absent. Numbers 1,2,3 and Sunday are the only four players on the team with any heart. Mistakes, penalties, false starts, pathetic tackling. Inconsistent (looked good at the beginning, looked bad-to-average the rest of the night). Conditioning is weak. It’s shocking, and not what I’m used to as someone who has watched Nederland all my life. All of that goes back to coaching. I don’t believe anyone should bash the players. And no reason to “bash” the coaches. They’re doing their best. I don’t want to be negative. I went to the game to root for Nederland. I wish them the best until they play PNG. But for all that 3-0 looks good on Nederland, tonight was bad football between two bad football teams. But, I’ve been wrong before. Maybe I’m wrong about this. 

Thomas had 211 yds rushing and Sunday had 82 yds passing so I would say the o-line did ok.   The defense and special teams!! needs some work but they are getting the stops when they need it the last couple of games.  These guys are still young, but they seem to be going in the right direction once district started.   I wouldn't count them out.

4 hours ago, Bigdog said:

Thomas had 211 yds rushing and Sunday had 82 yds passing so I would say the o-line did ok.   The defense and special teams!! needs some work but they are getting the stops when they need it the last couple of games.  These guys are still young, but they seem to be going in the right direction once district started.   I wouldn't count them out.

I may be mistaken, but it seemed to me nearly all of those rushing yards were around the edge, not between the tackles. Thomas is fast. (Shockingly fast. It was crazy to watch. He and Tezino both). I hesitate to the give the o-line credit for the rushing yards. 

I’m not counting them out. I’ve been saying since last year the Bulldogs will be back sooner than people think. I was wrong on the timing, and it’s not clear how much more progress they need to make to be where they used to be, but they’re coming along. 

22 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I may be mistaken, but it seemed to me nearly all of those rushing yards were around the edge, not between the tackles. Thomas is fast. (Shockingly fast. It was crazy to watch. He and Tezino both). I hesitate to the give the o-line credit for the rushing yards. 

I’m not counting them out. I’ve been saying since last year the Bulldogs will be back sooner than people think. I was wrong on the timing, and it’s not clear how much more progress they need to make to be where they used to be, but they’re coming along. 

We must have watched different games.