DCTF's 5 Programs Under Pressure to Win this Season

Cougar14.2

to be honest, PNG has or should have raised the bar for ALL golden triangle teams, even PAM. i say PAM even more so because even though PAM beat the breaks off them, PNG won the "race", "fight" or whatever analogy you want to use and was there at the big dance. while the rivalry isn't strong like MCM, it's beginning to rise. i know some PAM fans will point to PNG had an easier road. well from what i'm hearing and seeing, next realignment PAM might be D2 and i don't wanna hear no excuses. PNG proved my point many others stated in the past i was being sooooo negative. PNG brought in someone FROM OUTSIDE OF THE AREA with a winning formula, the kids bought into it and boom success. Keep going with the good ol boy system(TJ grads) and we gonna stay stagnant and fester. IF PNG GOES AT LEAST 5RDS DEEP, LOOK FOR A CRAP LOAD OF TRANSFERS FROM PAM TO BE AT THE REZ. I SAID IT HERE FIRST!!!

2 hours ago, pakronos said:

to be honest, PNG has or should have raised the bar for ALL golden triangle teams, even PAM. i say PAM even more so because even though PAM beat the breaks off them, PNG won the "race", "fight" or whatever analogy you want to use and was there at the big dance. while the rivalry isn't strong like MCM, it's beginning to rise. i know some PAM fans will point to PNG had an easier road. well from what i'm hearing and seeing, next realignment PAM might be D2 and i don't wanna hear no excuses. PNG proved my point many others stated in the past i was being sooooo negative. PNG brought in someone FROM OUTSIDE OF THE AREA with a winning formula, the kids bought into it and boom success. Keep going with the good ol boy system(TJ grads) and we gonna stay stagnant and fester. IF PNG GOES AT LEAST 5RDS DEEP, LOOK FOR A CRAP LOAD OF TRANSFERS FROM PAM TO BE AT THE REZ. I SAID IT HERE FIRST!!!

How can PN-G be the standard when they've never had back to back runs to state since the 70's.  Plus, I submit to you they will come back to earth but because 4 teams get in, it will give the appearence of stability.  I'd like to see them in a tougher division but hey, it is what it is

46 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

How can PN-G be the standard when they've never had back to back runs to state since the 70's.  Plus, I submit to you they will come back to earth but because 4 teams get in, it will give the appearence of stability.  I'd like to see them in a tougher division but hey, it is what it is

I'd say WO-S is still "the standard" for the Golden Triangle area. 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I'd say WO-S is still "the standard" for the Golden Triangle area. 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

At least until we have consecutive losing seasons and 1st round playoff losses. I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. Just remember that our legendary coaches needed time before they made those historic runs too. 5 and 6 years respectively.

We are always under pressure to win.

I think PNG is a team to be under pressure but not so much as to where the coach should be fired. Just because of the new HC, good players, schedule and playoff run. I think it's always easy to coach good talent. But what about the mediocre talent with the same strength of schedule. Basically, take the Nederland team and go to state. Last year was a nice year for PNG, i would like to see it done again. they would have to go to at least 4 rounds to say it was a successful year imo. 

I also say West Brook. They haven't been so successful since Coach Peevey's run to state. They haven't made the playoffs with Langston and have been under the 500 with decent talent around there. 

I would also say WOS. They have been soooooo used to winning heck since that 14-15' class until now i believe. Always going to state or making it at least 4 rounds i believe (i could be wrong) the tradition over there is amazing. However to see them under .500 and to lose that many games in a season was a shocker. 

14 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

Man, I think PNG is in a good position to make multiple finals appearances in the next 5/6 years if their talent isn't too cyclical. If Crosby hadn't collapsed in the semis against Liberty Hill that district would've had three consecutive state finalist. I think PNG or FB Marshall make it back to state this year again.

LH has owned region 4 the last three years and will most likely win it again this year. They're one of the fastest growing schools in the state and will be 5A-D1 next year though. Once they leave you're down in CC Flour Bluff and SA Alamo Heights territory. Teams that I don't even think PNG would've needed to be as good as they were last year to donkey stomp. 

PNG's enrollment is relatively stagnant meaning they're going to be locked in to D2 for the foreseeable future. We all know D2 is significantly easier but PNG has a real homegrown D2 enrollment unlike SOC who has a similar enrollment but would need 2,500+ kids to field a team like that without the transfers, so PNG is right where they should be. Coach Willis told us at the parent meeting that teams need three things to be successful; 1. Community, 2. Players, 3. Coaches, in that order. Hard to argue in D2 that PNG isn't right up there in all those categories. 

7 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Man, I think PNG is in a good position to make multiple finals appearances in the next 5/6 years if their talent isn't too cyclical. If Crosby hadn't collapsed in the semis against Liberty Hill that district would've had three consecutive state finalist. I think PNG or FB Marshall make it back to state this year again.

LH has owned region 4 the last three years and will most likely win it again this year. They're one of the fastest growing schools in the state and will be 5A-D1 next year though. Once they leave you're down in CC Flour Bluff and SA Alamo Heights territory. Teams that I don't even think PNG would've needed to be as good as they were last year to donkey stomp. 

PNG's enrollment is relatively stagnant meaning they're going to be locked in to D2 for the foreseeable future. We all know D2 is significantly easier but PNG has a real homegrown D2 enrollment unlike SOC who has a similar enrollment but would need 2,500+ kids to field a team like that without the transfers, so PNG is right where they should be. Coach Willis told us at the parent meeting that teams need three things to be successful; 1. Community, 2. Players, 3. Coaches, in that order. Hard to argue in D2 that PNG isn't right up there in all those categories. 

While that may be true, 1. after their runs in 88 and in 99, they went 6-4 or worse.  2.  The UIL wil shuffle the deck next Feb so who knows where they will end up as far as Reg 3 is concerned and 3 depends how many PA transfers(or lack thereof) they can hustle.  All I've been hearing about for the past 4 years(both working and retired) is the current crop of sophmores at Memorial.  

Kid from PAM won’t jump ship to PNG.

(Starters usually all play at next level from juco d2 or D1)

Im going to say this. PAM will make a very strong run to state next year.(this year team should be at least as good as last)

I love what PNG has done with the coaches. But those type of coaches don’t grow on trees and setx isn’t going to be anyone first choice.

Excited we get to play PNG first game if anything they will be well coached. 

37 minutes ago, PAMFAM10 said:

Im going to say this. PAM will make a very strong run to state next year.(this year team should be at least as good as last)

I love what PNG has done with the coaches. But those type of coaches don’t grow on trees and setx isn’t going to be anyone first choice.

Good thing PAM doesn't play Vidor 😁😂🤣

2 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

While that may be true, 1. after their runs in 88 and in 99, they went 6-4 or worse.  2.  The UIL wil shuffle the deck next Feb so who knows where they will end up as far as Reg 3 is concerned and 3 depends how many PA transfers(or lack thereof) they can hustle.  All I've been hearing about for the past 4 years(both working and retired) is the current crop of sophmores at Memorial.  

How many PA Transfer kids were starters for PNG last year?? 

2 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

Those runs were before the divisions were split though. It was a lot harder to make consistent runs back then vs now when you're only playing with ~ 130 teams in the class. I said it when they announced it that splitting divisions would help this area more than pretty much any other. Transfers can play a huge role but in general it's harder to "fall off" in D2 now with the splits watering down the competition vs playing in D1 where a number of teams can get hot and make a run. 

21 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

Your dead right on brother being from a district with 2 top ten teams and 3 in the top 25 is about as weak as it gets. 

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Thank you for the compliment. Best of luck to your team this season I will be pulling for you guys. I hope to see you restored to the level your team deserves to be. You guys have so much talent. Good luck brother. 

On 8/16/2023 at 5:20 PM, Austin1985 said:

well maybe i should have said "inspiration for this year". again, factors are NEW first year coach from a WINNING program. yet other teams are more talented and cant seem to do it with a staff and system that been in place for years. if PNG can, why not...fill in the blank any team??

9 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

i agree, but i feel if teams particularly PAM, do things to ATTRACT these type of coaches, it's possible. PNG has updated field house and stadium(that vistors side needs some work lol). a community thats not fair weather, BOOSTERS!! as much as i don't care for PNG, they have HUNGRY PLAYERS thats not selfish. Heck they trying t get an INDOOR practice facility built. NO setx team has that lol. That will get people looking, especially if you are a team that's winning, but can't get over the hump because coaches themselves haven't been under THOSE lights. i believe nederland about to turn the corner and Monte gonna be on the way out. they are improving facilities and we know those kids got no quit. IMO, they need a coach. only thing i see stopping PAM from taking that nex step is the city itself cause as much as i love my town, it's gone to crap. the other thing is the district WONT spend money to improve anything. those same urinals and toilets been there since the 70's along with the concession stands. i know for a fact that field house probably has asbestos.

oh i don't believe any starters would jump, but that back up that feels he can't get on the field and is a junior or soon to be senior might. i didn't wan to believe the things i her about PAM, but bruh smh.

i know you not sitting on the vistors side as usual lol. it's gonna be hot and sold out!!