DuBois named Vidor new AD/Head Football Coach

1 hour ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

'96 Vidor ran the option. HC was Pat Murphy and the OC was Paul Bourgeois (went 5-5).  '97 Vidor ran whatever Johnson brought with him from Lumberton and the OC was Benny Ellison (went 2-8).

Was there a classification change? Was there a schedule change? 97 is an odd year.. so probably.  Maybe.  Surely there were seniors that graduated.. were there any impactful ones that they lost?

A lot of things change year to year other than a new coach and new philosophy.  It's never mentioned how many things need to go right.. 

18 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Was there a classification change? Was there a schedule change? 97 is an odd year.. so probably.  Maybe.  Surely there were seniors that graduated.. were there any impactful ones that they lost?

A lot of things change year to year other than a new coach and new philosophy.  It's never mentioned how many things need to go right.. 

20-4A in '96 & '97 football seasons.  Same schedule and of course we lost seniors lol ....

After the '96 football season Vidors HC Pat Murphy left for another coaching job in Monroe, LA (where he is from).  After he left the incoming senior class wanted OC  Paul Bourgeois to take over as HC (spoke at a school board meeting about wanting Coach Bourgeois as HC) but the school board decided to bring in Kevin Johnson from Lumberton (HORRIBLE Mistake).  Johnson brought in his delinquent coaches and only kept a few from the previous regime.  All the coaches that left or let go went on to have really good success.

59 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

20-4A in '96 & '97 football seasons.  Same schedule and of course we lost seniors lol ....

After the '96 football season Vidors HC Pat Murphy left for another coaching job in Monroe, LA (where he is from).  After he left the incoming senior class wanted OC  Paul Bourgeois to take over as HC (spoke a school board at a meeting about wanting Coach Bourgeois) but the school board decided to bring in Kevin Johnson from Lumberton (HORRIBLE Mistake).  Johnson brought in his delinquent coaches and only kept a few from the previous regime.  All the coaches that left or let go went on to have really good success.

I love the internet.. I love how you left out the fact that Murphy went 2-8 in 94.  and then 0-10 in 95.  Whoops.  Or that during the 96 season, 3 of those 5 wins were by a margin of a touchdown or less.  That matters.. especially if you have some key upperclassmen but may the other team doesn't.

Either way.. my point remains.  It's literally a different team every year (potentially) depending on which or how many impact players graduate.

42 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I love the internet.. I love how you left out the fact that Murphy went 2-8 in 94.  and then 0-10 in 95.  Whoops.  Or that during the 96 season, 3 of those 5 wins were by a margin of a touchdown or less.  That matters.. especially if you have some key upperclassmen but may the other team doesn't.

Either way.. my point remains.  It's literally a different team every year (potentially) depending on which or how many impact players graduate.

and don't leave out the fact that Vidor was in 22-5A in '94 & '95... playing against teams like North Shore, WB, etc. 

And does it matter if you win by 1 or 100??? NOPE a win is a win!

Either way your point is about as sharp as a spoon.

1 hour ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

and don't leave out the fact that Vidor was in 22-5A in '94 & '95... playing against teams like North Shore, WB, etc. 

And does it matter if you win by 1 or 100??? NOPE a win is a win!

Either way your point is about as sharp as a spoon.

By saying that they were in a different classification... but with the same head coach... for justification as two bad years... you're actually helping solidify my point.  That a lot can change in a year.  Believe it or not, a decent senior class can have just as much impact on the next year's success or lack thereof as a classification change.  If you don't understand the point, then perhaps your intellect is about as sharp as a spoon.

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

By saying that they were in a different classification... but with the same head coach... for justification as two bad years... you're actually helping solidify my point.  That a lot can change in a year.  Believe it or not, a decent senior class can have just as much impact on the next year's success or lack thereof as a classification change.  If you don't understand the point, then perhaps your intellect is about as sharp as a spoon.

Yep, a lot can change in a year. With a strong SR class coaches can look brilliant one year and clueless the next year when they graduate. This is particularly the case in the smaller classifications. 

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

You are 1million% correct… playing schools like WB, North Shore, TJ, Baytowns (when they were good), LaPorte has ZERO to do a schools/HC’s record. It’s all about the senior class. 😂🤣

13 hours ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

You are 1million% correct… playing schools like WB, North Shore, TJ, Baytowns (when they were good), LaPorte has ZERO to do a schools/HC’s record. It’s all about the senior class. 😂🤣

I'm not sure what it is about posters on this site not being able to read posts in their entirety.  Graduation of impact players..... Reclassification..... those are two DIFFERENT factors that CAN significantly change a school's success from one year to another.  When BOTH happen together, it can be especially detrimental.

Now.. I can't explain simpler than that.  If you still don't understand, then I don't know... 

37 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not sure what it is about posters on this site not being able to read posts in their entirety.  Graduation of impact players..... Reclassification..... those are two DIFFERENT factors that CAN significantly change a school's success from one year to another.  When BOTH happen together, it can be especially detrimental.

Now.. I can't explain simpler than that.  If you still don't understand, then I don't know... 

It’s your flawed “old school” thinking. But to each their own.

24 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

It’s your flawed “old school” thinking. But to each their own.

It's a flawed "old school" thinking to think that moving into a new district might influence how well/poorly a team might do?  Or that graduating impact players might influence it as well?

Or it's a flawed, "old school" way of thinking to believe that those are two completely separate factors? I don't guess I understand what you meant by that. 

Educate me, young man.  Since my mind is too old school to understand.

Amazing that here on this Forum there’s so few giving DuBois a chance.  Just what the Vidor program doesn’t need, having their heads filled with doubts over the new Coach.  Hope the players get behind him 110% and prove all the naysayers wrong.

Go Pirates!  
☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

39 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Amazing that here on this Forum there’s so few giving DuBois a chance.  Just what the Vidor program doesn’t need, having their heads filled with doubts over the new Coach.  Hope the players get behind him 110% and prove all the naysayers wrong.

Go Pirates!  
☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

I am sure the 45-51 overall record & 10-37 record his last 5 years as a head coach has some Vidor fans skeptical. No doubt the players will be fired up& ready to go, Can Dubois get  back to his 2014\2016 winning ways....

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Go Pirates!  
☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Seriously?  Have you not been on this forum long?  I understand the game.. but this is the mecca of: number of unathletic kids per unrealistic parents, facilities were good enough for grandpa so they're good enough for me, can't work out during summers because (insert excuse), can't pay for experienced coaches but expect experienced coaches, then fire the coach because they didn't win a title by week 4.

You're really surprised?  Welcome to the show.

By the way.. the players WILL likely get behind him.  It's the experts that won't, if anyone. 

6 hours ago, Hagar said:

Go Pirates!  
☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

I would try to thrive on that. Everybody blows you off...run in stealth mode, then shock 'em on Friday night.

We ought to support our local teams. Good luck to the new coach and Vidor.   

On 3/30/2023 at 10:53 AM, oldschool2 said:

Seriously?  Have you not been on this forum long?  I understand the game.. but this is the mecca of: number of unathletic kids per unrealistic parents, facilities were good enough for grandpa so they're good enough for me, can't work out during summers because (insert excuse), can't pay for experienced coaches but expect experienced coaches, then fire the coach because they didn't win a title by week 4.

By the way.. the players WILL likely get behind him.  It's the experts that won't, if anyone. 

Been on a many a moon.  Still, folks never cease to amaze.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 10:53 AM, oldschool2 said:

When was the last time you stepped foot in the weight room at Vidor?  When was the last time you stepped foot on the new playing surface?  When was the last time you stepped foot on the gym floor? 

Vidors weight room has new weights and weigh racks.  Vidor is also able to use the weight room to practice indoors when weather is not cooperating thanks to the turf in the weight room.

3 hours ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

When was the last time you stepped foot in the weight room at Vidor?  When was the last time you stepped foot on the new playing surface?  When was the last time you stepped foot on the gym floor? 

Vidors weight room has new weights and weigh racks.  Vidor is also able to use the weight room to practice indoors when weather is not cooperating thanks to the turf in the weight room.

Vidor has a nice weight room and an excellent strength and conditioning program. Oldschool2 is just regurgitating things he picked up on the playground, I suppose. Trying to sound cool, but nothing specific to address = silly post. 

3 hours ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Did I say that entire post applied to Vidor specifically?  I replied with that post describing the area as a whole..  I've personally seen posters make those exact arguments over the years on this very site.

Anyways.. my post was also in response to someone that "couldn't believe that people are already seemingly not getting behind the new coach"... which is widely represented in the examples I've seen from this AREA.  Only a moron would assume I'm talking about every individual school in the area.  There are obviously exceptions.  Always.

39 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Vidor has a nice weight room and an excellent strength and conditioning program. Oldschool2 is just regurgitating things he picked up on the playground, I suppose. Trying to sound cool, but nothing specific to address = silly post. 

Oldshool2 is giving examples similar to what's seen time and time again on this forum.  Coincidentally, based on the comments leading up to my other post.. I believe I can successfully add Vidor to my list of schools that don't support their head football coach because (insert excuse).  Great job on the updated facilities, though.  That's a start.